D-link Dir-600 speed limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
KOsmix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:43    Post subject: D-link Dir-600 speed limits Reply with quote
Hello,
I have Dlink-DIR600 rev b router, DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12) std - build 19519. I encounter some issues with the download/upload speeds.

When I connect the computer directly via the ISP's cable (no router) I get the following results:
Download: 94.40 Mbps
Upload: 81.14 Mbps

When I use the router:
Lan:
Download: 40.72 Mbps
Upload: 31.51 Mbps

Wi-Fi:
Download: 32.66 Mbps
Upload: 27.42 Mbps

The results are from speedtest.net by using the ISP's host server.

Any idea of how can I improve these results when using the router? It seems that the router somehow limits the throughput.

I mention that I've tried several dd-wrt builds and different computers but the results are approximately the same. I haven't made any changes to the default configuration of the dd-wrt build 19519 for a wan PPPoE connection.

Thank you.
Sponsor
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
With stock firmware, throughput will increase to wire speed (hypothetical peak physical layer net bitrate). Wireless speed will increase to 50 Mbps.
KOsmix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borage wrote:
With stock firmware, throughput will increase to wire speed (hypothetical peak physical layer net bitrate). Wireless speed will increase to 50 Mbps.

I had the stock firmware before (tried 2 different versions) but the average download speed over wi-fi was around 30Mbps and upload was very low around 2 Mbps.
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this under advanced wireless settings.

HT 20/40 Coexistence: Disable
KOsmix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borage wrote:
Try this under advanced wireless settings.

HT 20/40 Coexistence: Disable

I am running now on dd-wrt and I see no option for HT 20/40 Coexistence (I think this setting is only on stock firmware). If it helps the channel width is set to 20 Mhz.
However I think is a general problem (not only on Wi-Fi) because I don't get the "normal" speeds even when I'm connected using the lan interface (D/U: 40/31Mbps compared to D/U: 94/81 Mbps when I'm not using the router).
Any other ideas of how I can solve this problem?
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
KOsmix wrote:
Any other ideas of how I can solve this problem?

DD-WRT does not support Ralink packet processing engine (PPE) to offload AP/Router packet forwarding tasks such as firewall, NAT and NAPT from the MIPS CPU.
KOsmix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
So there is no build/configuration for dd-wrt to solve my issue? Any other option left, of course besides buying a new router? The stock firmware didn't help me either...
Aero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems like there is not much help to get with this issue.

Either there is not that many people using DIR-600 with DD-WRT, or, they don't have download/upload speeds above 50 Mbps.

I have experienced the same, as mentioned above, with the latest stock firmware, 40 instead of 85-95 Mbps; I have yet to try DD-WRT, but it seems like the situation is similar, so not much idea to try, it seems.

In my case I am not interested in great Wi-Fi speeds, it doesn't matter if it's 10, 30, or 90 Mbps; wired, however, is a different matter.

Then it is different question that it is difficult to get information about the latest firmware for DIR-600; the router database mention 14896, but later firmware has been mentioned at several places. Obviously one would like to get the latest stable firmware to get the best security, but in many cases the focus seems to be on features. So, what is the security status of DD-WRT; are all firmware after 12533 v24 preSP2 considered as safe?

It’s interesting to note that someone else has experienced the same with (recent) stock firmware; and sad that DD-WRT can’t do anything to "unleash" the router. So it’s either a new router or using old, vulnerable, firmware.
Kaioh_shin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
same issue with exact speeds.
I experienced it with stock dlink firmware and dd wrt ( latest at the time)
Kaioh_shin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
reverted to stock 2.05 and speeds are back up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: