Cannot get DHCP from my ISP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
srirams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:02    Post subject: Cannot get DHCP from my ISP Reply with quote
For the last couple of days I have been unable to get an ip address from my isp (WildBlue). If I plug in the internet cable straight through to my laptop, it works, but my router still will not get an ip.

I have tried cloning my laptops mac, as well as turning off stp. There seems to be other people running into the same problem with routers, and some speculate it could be some sort of timeout issue? Please see this thread at another forum.

Is there anything else I could try?

edit: I am running v23 SP1 5/16/06 on a Motorola WR850G v2. Everything worked fine until about two days ago, when these problem with my and other people (running stock linksys firmware, I guess) started. However, XP is still able to get an ip address.
Sponsor
jylee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
try power cycling the modem and then try 'DHCP renew'?
that's what i do when my router can't get an ip from my isp and it works for me..
srirams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been powercycling like crazy the last couple of days Wink I was actually very confident that it was something wrong with my satellite modem, because otherwise my router has been rock stable and working flawlessly, but I finally plugged in my laptop straight bypassing the router and was shocked when it was able to get a dhcp lease, while the router was not.

I've been experimenting and the laptop is able to consistently get a lease while the router is not. WildBlue (my isp) must have changed something in the last couple of days and broken something.

I just now put in the values I got from my dhcp lease on the laptop on the router under static ip, and the connection works, so it's just not able to get a lease.
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
disable the spanning tree protocol option (STP).
srirams
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep, tried that. unfortunately it doesn't work Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: