Where is the Linksys / CISCO EA6500 information?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25    Post subject: Where is the Linksys / CISCO EA6500 information? Reply with quote
Hey there,

I've owned a linksys / cisco EA6500 wireless AC 1750 router since the day it was released. I've looked endlessly for information related to DD-WRT compatibility and even tried my hand at figuring it out myself. I've since found this one thread detailing it but other than that nothing.. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=723104

So tell me guys, does ANYONE know the status or proposed status of this router being supported in future? It's so far the best performing wireless N router I've used (have no AC devices yet) and would love for it to be running DD-WRT to fix one of the glaring issues the official firmware has.

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
disorganizer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
only one issue the official firmware has?
there are gazillions of bugs in this software.

nevertheless the hardware seems to be extremely good.
if it works, it works brilliantly. but the software *sigh*

so i would also like to see a dd-wrt port for this router to make it work as it could.
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand correctly, for a few other models that use the same broadcom chip we have been waiting for the new 6.0 drivers. But for those other models they have at least seen test builds while this model has seen nada.

Fractal? are you around? care to comment? D: You are one of the only ones I trust since I know 100% you have an EA6500.

EDIT: Did I mention I've been coming back every day for the last 2 weeks hoping for progress or a reply to my PMs haha -slightly obsessed-
Sharon.L
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
disorganizer wrote:
only one issue the official firmware has?
there are gazillions of bugs in this software.

nevertheless the hardware seems to be extremely good.
if it works, it works brilliantly. but the software *sigh*

so i would also like to see a dd-wrt port for this router to make it work as it could.

So far, I am enjoying cisco and all the function there is. I haven't had any bugs yet and hopefully not in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
yea I don't mind it. but they have a 'security feature' that stops me from being able to ping my external IP from inside the network. This is something that I used and loved a lot on my old router.

Also I want network wide ad-block for my mum and iDevices.

And Local DNS.

And CRON Wake-On-LAN 'cos I'm too lazy to turn my PC on in the morning.

And the list could go on.. lol

Really hope it's just the drivers or else this device will go on eBay as soon as the RT-AC66U gets a stable build.
disorganizer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sharon.L wrote:
So far, I am enjoying cisco and all the function there is. I haven't had any bugs yet and hopefully not in the future.

maybe it depends on use.
just some to mention:
* buggy qos setup which reduces speed for non-qos'ed traffic
* sometimes dhcp server does not and does not provide a ip. router reboot fixes this.
* dns names are only resolved if device is online.
* dhcp sent names are not used for dns
* device names are duplicated (e.g. tv is sometimes used for several other devices. even if ip adresses are dhcp-static with assigned mac adresses.
* other cosmetic issues

so yes, it is usable, but a lot of things dont work as they should.

nevertheless, no technical problems with the hardware (the hardware is excellent). only sw things.
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
The EA6500 seems to do QoS the same way that DD-WRT does it. You limit the traffic speed overall so that the bottleneck of fighting for priority occurs within the router - the only place it can be managed via QoS - rather than within the network or externally
disorganizer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
the problem is that the ea6500 does limit traffic in low priority queues even if nothing happens on the router in the priority queues Smile

does dd-wrt limit the traffic directed to the wan interface or all the traffic (even if it stays "inside" the router)?

aka:
if you set dd-wrt to 1mbit downlink and uplink speed, will the lan-to-lan and wlan-to-lan speed be reduced to 1mbit?
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can set either with DD-WRT. I see what you mean now.. it's limiting local traffic rather than just the traffic going out to the internet.
disorganizer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
interesting enough:
there is a kickstarter project
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010965554/turbocharge-your-wireless-router-with-an-androidtm

to generate a android based firmware for that router.
darkryoushii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
as much as that looks amazing, it's probably not going to be that great. I loved the look of it until I saw that horrific video. The actual boot screen is from Android 2.1 or below.. and the interface looked incredibly laggy. I'll pledge $1 and hope for the best.

Any news from the DD-WRT people? Specifically fractal? Does he even still own this router?
Joshsanchez37
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: