Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
UberB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:53    Post subject: Recommend a simultaneous dual band router Reply with quote
Any thoughts? I am looking for a router with the following features:

1. Wireless N
2. Simultaneous dual band
3. Stable and doesn't randomly drop connections or requires restarts
4. Strong signal or at least able to penetrate walls fairly well

It doesn't need to run DD-WRT or anything. I just want a router that, in Apple's words "just works". I have bought several routers in the past that have been pretty unstable after a while (WRT54G, buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH) and kept requiring reboots. This time I would hope to get something just reliable (or is there no such thing in the land of wireless routers? Very Happy )

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Two models I have looked at are the Netgear WNDR3700 and the TP-link N750/WDR4300, but both seem to have extremely polarizing reviews on Amazon.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:08    Post subject: Re: Recommend a simultaneous dual band router Reply with quote
UberB wrote:
Any thoughts? I am looking for a router with the following features:

1. Wireless N
2. Simultaneous dual band
3. Stable and doesn't randomly drop connections or requires restarts
4. Strong signal or at least able to penetrate walls fairly well

It doesn't need to run DD-WRT or anything. I just want a router that, in Apple's words "just works". I have bought several routers in the past that have been pretty unstable after a while (WRT54G, buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH) and kept requiring reboots. This time I would hope to get something just reliable (or is there no such thing in the land of wireless routers? Very Happy )

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Two models I have looked at are the Netgear WNDR3700 and the TP-link N750/WDR4300, but both seem to have extremely polarizing reviews on Amazon.

Rt-n66u
crakarjax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 0:36    Post subject: 3Tb USB drive support, wireless-n, rsync Reply with quote
I'm trying to set up a basic wireless backup node. Currently I have the asus rt-n13u set up with optware and fs support working, but have hit a brick wall due to the lack of GPT support in the kernel so I'm stuck at a 2Tb usable space limit after spending waaay too many hours on this.

Can anyone suggest a router for me that would meet the following requirements?

- DD-WRT compatible with support for FS > 2Tb
-- Or --
Stock 3Tb support with rsync support built in
-- Or --
Tomato compatible with support for FS > 2Tb
- Decent range (ie external antennas)

That's it... pretty basic! Of course cheap, reliable, and available (ebay or otherwise) is always a plus! TIA
pyro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking for a very small router.

Specs:

802.11 a/b/g/n
1x or 2x ethernet
2x 3x MIMO with external connectors
dd-wrt or openwrt support

Any ideas?

Thx!
cireflow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 17:23    Post subject: WLAN AP that performs well with up to 50 clients Reply with quote
I'm currently using a WRT54GL to create WLAN networks for student access; this means that not only many clients have to be served, but they also often connect at the same time (during breaks). I've run into problems sometimes where the WRT54GL seemingly ceased to work. Since this model seems rather cheap to me (albeit not bad for its price), I suspect it just can't handle the strain.

Thus, I am looking for an AP that:

• Preferably supports 802.11n
  • Can handle up to 50 WLAN clients
  • Can create 3 WLAN networks (as explained here)

Could you recommend me any model of which you know that it works well and fulfills these requirements?

Thanks for your help!
crakarjax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can a mod lock this thread since noone ever actually answers inquiries here?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
crakarjax wrote:

No, it won't be locked, and you most likely didn't get an answer because your reqs, i mean i can't answer which router will work for you with a 3TB HDD or why you would even want to put a 3TB HDD on a slow USB consumer router architecture anyhow.

Its not that people don't read and answer the posts in this thread, its just that some, if not most of these feature requests is something that you'd have to buy a router and test for yourself. And considering you yourself don't have an answer for the posts in this thread... hmm - nuff said.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
crakarjax wrote:

I agree with Buddee.

As I have stated many times in this thread, it needs to be read. Most of the requests for information that don't get answered are so vague and presume that there actually is an answer. They look something like this:

"I need a router that has two antennas, does wifi, and is really fast and really cheap."

We have no idea what "fast" means to the poster, nor what "cheap" means. And what a router costs differs depending on where the poster is, and we have no idea. The supported routers wiki has information on speed and visuals of each router are available and most routers have two antennas or more. Cost is available from a search of a local retailer.

Your question has to do with what dd-wrt can do or cannot do. It has nothing to do with the proper router to put it on. Your question is whether dd-wrt will support greater that 2TB. If it did, any router with a usb drive would work. A search would answer your question on filesystem support on dd-wrt- it has nothing to do with the best router.

I will come in here every so often and delete posts that have questions that cannot be answered and therefore have not been answered after a weeks or so. I would have deleted yours, but since it now adds to understanding of the thread, I will leave it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
crakarjax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fact is, inquiries stacked up after mine with no response for days. Until I made the somewhat inflammatory comment, this thread seemed dead for at least a couple of weeks.

In those weeks I answered my own question, at a cost of a lot of time I didn't really care to spend. The answer is fairly simple:

- DD-WRT later than v??? reqd for GPT support

I was hoping someone would chime in with a router that had working builds with GPT in them (my router's builds had been broken for over a year), and external antennas. I'm not going to throw my time and money around messing with various routers just to find one that works.

I have since purchased a $17 pogoplug, which when coupled with just about ANY router completely solves all of my problems with Arch Linux installed, and happens to have 256Mb of ram as well. I really would have rather had a single-router solution but since I can think of many many more uses for the pogoplug I guess I shouldn't complain.
JaimeZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks in advance for any thoughts here. I've been reading the FAQ and threads in this forum, and now come in with my specific situation.

Looking at building a house in a rural area where I don't have cell signal.

The nearest neighbor is about 1600 feet (~490 meters) from the construction site.

What I'd like to do (with his permission) is set up a router with DD-WRT as repeater from his house so I can use the wifi calling app on my phone. (WAP-as-microtower, as it were.) Router would be powered off an inverter in the car. Or generator.

Bandwidth requirements are therefore pretty low, I'm more concerned with the 1600' range and steady, reliable signal.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a specific router (and replacement external antenna, if appropriate) suitable for this application?

Thanks again!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
JaimeZX wrote:
Thanks in advance for any thoughts here. I've been reading the FAQ and threads in this forum, and now come in with my specific situation.

Looking at building a house in a rural area where I don't have cell signal.

The nearest neighbor is about 1600 feet (~490 meters) from the construction site.

What I'd like to do (with his permission) is set up a router with DD-WRT as repeater from his house so I can use the wifi calling app on my phone. (WAP-as-microtower, as it were.) Router would be powered off an inverter in the car. Or generator.

Bandwidth requirements are therefore pretty low, I'm more concerned with the 1600' range and steady, reliable signal.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a specific router (and replacement external antenna, if appropriate) suitable for this application?

Thanks again!

I'd have to ask in this, do you have a clear line of site? or is there alot of things in the way between the 1600' of range?

In general, i'd recommend a whr-hp-g54 for this, but they don't make them anymore, you can still find them around though, but now they are very expensive.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
JaimeZX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for this. I'd say it's probably about half (young, small) trees and half open field between his house and the site.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
JaimeZX wrote:
Thanks for this. I'd say it's probably about half (young, small) trees and half open field between his house and the site.

Signal has to be clear line of site. Wifi will not go through trees, especially a quarter km of obstruction.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Kavidium
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 14:14    Post subject: Looking for an upgrade Reply with quote
I have my old faithful WRT54GL which has lasted me about 6 years now. Nothing is wrong with it other than I'm limited to G class speed for wireless and 10/100 outbound. Everything past the router on my side (including a secondary switch) is gigabit. So pretty much I've done everything I can to increase network speeds but the router is now effectively a bottle neck. I've held off for these last several years getting an N class router waiting for the price with included gigabit wired to drop, but they never seemed to. Now AC class is emerging.

I've been watching the release of routers (for N class) and they seem to fall into two camps. Extremely cheap (both in terms of price and quality) 10/100 wired and $140+ gigabit wired with additional features that I'll never use. Honestly I also don't get why they are charging so much more for the gigabit wired switch portion when the price of a gigabit switch can be had for $20. I'd really rather not spend the $140+ on a piece of equipment that has features I wont use (like network file sharing through attached USB on the router???) but if that is what is required I will.

(Side rant: can someone explain why file sharing through attached USB would be a useful feature. Best I can come up with is streaming video to "smart" tv's and devices that cant auth to a network share)

I'm looking for options that meet the following:
    Gigabit Wired is priority
    Minimum N class 300 or better
    DDWRT supported (obviously)
    Performance akin to the existing Linksys WRT54GL
    Price preferred in the $100 or less range (if not possible then so be it)

What I have found so far is NETGEAR WNR3500L-100NAS. WNR3500L is listed in the database, but I'm unclear if this is the same item and really supported? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334)
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 17:40    Post subject: Re: Looking for an upgrade Reply with quote
Kavidium wrote:
I have my old faithful WRT54GL which has lasted me about 6 years now. Nothing is wrong with it other than I'm limited to G class speed for wireless and 10/100 outbound. Everything past the router on my side (including a secondary switch) is gigabit. So pretty much I've done everything I can to increase network speeds but the router is now effectively a bottle neck. I've held off for these last several years getting an N class router waiting for the price with included gigabit wired to drop, but they never seemed to. Now AC class is emerging.

I've been watching the release of routers (for N class) and they seem to fall into two camps. Extremely cheap (both in terms of price and quality) 10/100 wired and $140+ gigabit wired with additional features that I'll never use. Honestly I also don't get why they are charging so much more for the gigabit wired switch portion when the price of a gigabit switch can be had for $20. I'd really rather not spend the $140+ on a piece of equipment that has features I wont use (like network file sharing through attached USB on the router???) but if that is what is required I will.

(Side rant: can someone explain why file sharing through attached USB would be a useful feature. Best I can come up with is streaming video to "smart" tv's and devices that cant auth to a network share)

I'm looking for options that meet the following:
    Gigabit Wired is priority
    Minimum N class 300 or better
    DDWRT supported (obviously)
    Performance akin to the existing Linksys WRT54GL
    Price preferred in the $100 or less range (if not possible then so be it)

What I have found so far is NETGEAR WNR3500L-100NAS. WNR3500L is listed in the database, but I'm unclear if this is the same item and really supported? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334)

The WNR3500L v1 is fully supported, which is what the newegg link looks to be, its the WNR3500L v2 which isn't fully supported. If you choose/and want a WNR3500L v1 which is a good unit, you can get those on ebay refurbs for about $35. Otherwise i suggest an E3000 or E4200 v1 refurbs, they are great units for the price.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: