Linksys WRT54GL and configuring two routers in the network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
DonAndress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 13:41    Post subject: Linksys WRT54GL and configuring two routers in the network Reply with quote
Hello.

I recently received new cable modem from my ISP, it's Cisco EPC 3925, which is a modem along with the router and wifi router capability.

Before that I used to use Linksys WRT54GL with dd-wrt v.14311 and it worked just fine.

Now, I'd like to make Cisco share the internet connection to the Linksys so Linksys could share internet connection to the rest of my network in the house. Reason - besides good configuration of Linksys I need RJ45 port replication. In the end I will switch off wifi in Cisco.

Cisco optains IP and the rest through DHCP, internet connection works perfectly both through RJ45 and wifi.

The question is, what kind of connection type should I set in the WAN setup of Linksys?

I see it as two separate networks, first only between Cisco and Linksys, so I'd like to set Cisco LAN to 192.168.1.1 and Linksys WAN to 192.168.1.2.

Second network would be amongst Linsys and the rest of my clients in the house, so I'd say Linksys LAN 192.168.10.10 and the rest of the stuff 192.168.10.100 and so on.
(in Linksys I need to set static IPs to some of the clients and usually wifi has it done via DHCP with a different rage of IPs. Again, the settings in Linksys used to work perfectly before changeing the cable modem.)

Is my way of thinking correct?
If so how to configure mask, gateway and dns (if required) in both of the routers?

I would be grateful for any advise...
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
WIKI: Linking routers.

Plug the modem cable into the linksys WAN port. Configure normally.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
DonAndress
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you.
I read it but I still don't know why my cofig doesn't work.

I believe that accoring to wiki the most suitable in my case is WAP connetcion with the option of setting different subnet for clients. Well I got it all and still nothing.

What info should I provide to make my settings more transparent for you to review?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: