RT-N66 CFE Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jonathan wrote:
Hyperian wrote:
Hi, I've only ever modded my old wrt54gs and now i just bought RT-N66R with firmware 3.0.0.4.220 and H/W B1.

What's the easiest way I can get it to work with the latest version of DDWRT?

should i just use the dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx for initial flashing, then use dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_big_RT-N66U.trx as it mentions in the main site?

(are these the 64kb NVRAM files?)

Hyperian,
There are at least three routes you can take.
1) Flash with the "Official Build" of DD-WRT for the N66R/N66U (same unit, as I understand it -- the N66R is simply sold through Best Buy). This approach may result in limited functionality, as Asus left insufficient room in the default non-volatile RAM (nvram) for settings storage.
2) Flash with RMerlin's modified Asus firmware (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
3) Follow the approach detailed (with links) by al360ex: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=728899&highlight=#728899 ...and flash with Fractal's latest "unofficial" build of DD-WRT for this unit.

I went with choice 3, and have been impressed by 1) how easy it was, and 2) how rock-solid Fractal's build is. I've also been thankful I increased the settings storage capacity (CFE update), as I've significantly exceeded the default Asus nvram capacity with such things as an SSH Key and certificates for OpenVPN. I'm using the router for its wired capabilities only.

Fair warning, of course: Fractal's choice 3 builds are not "official" builds, and modifying the CFE, as easy and straightforward as it has now become, does carry some risk.

Also, if you go the route of "choice 3", BE CAREFUL to ONLY flash Fractal's 64k DD-WRT builds after implementing the 64k CFE update! Otherwise, you WILL brick your router, and recovery will probably require hardware modification.

How do i access the command line interface? i read another thread and it came to the linux command line instructions but i dont know how to access it.
Sponsor
SweetTides
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hyperian wrote:

How do i access the command line interface? i read another thread and it came to the linux command line instructions but i dont know how to access it.

You should probably read through this whole thread beforehand but,

Flash latest Rmerlin FW (set up your user/pass for ssh or telnet) then open terminal/putty session and connect to your router like so "ssh username@192.168.1.1 or telnet username@192.168.1.1" enter your password. then follow the script install.. "carefully copy paste the commands into the terminal window."

After that backup your old cfe or don't and Install DDWRT. I am really happy with the decision. Very Happy
Jonathan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
SweetTides wrote:
Hyperian wrote:

Flash latest Rmerlin FW (set up your user/pass for ssh or telnet) then open terminal/putty session and connect to your router like so "ssh username@192.168.1.1 or telnet username@192.168.1.1" enter your password. then follow the script install.. "carefully copy paste the commands into the terminal window."

After that backup your old cfe or don't and Install DDWRT. I am really happy with the decision. Very Happy

Hyperian, I had another post written up that warned about installing DD-WRT, but I see from your previous posts that you've used DD-WRT in the past, as well as telnet.

All "command line" access to the router is done via telnet (Windows/Linux) or SSH (e.g. Putty). You can even do it from stock Asus firmware.
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jonathan wrote:
SweetTides wrote:
Hyperian wrote:

Hyperian, I had another post written up that warned about installing DD-WRT, but I see from your previous posts that you've used DD-WRT in the past, as well as telnet.

All "command line" access to the router is done via telnet (Windows/Linux) or SSH (e.g. Putty). You can even do it from stock Asus firmware.

yes.. i have actually used telnet and ssh so i know what that is, just that i don't know how to do it for this instance. (I don't use it often)
Jonathan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm...well, I didn't spend a lot of time in the stock Asus firmware (just long enough to upgrade the CFE and flash Fractal's DD-WRT build), but as I recall, you could enable SSH or telnet from the stock firmware. Maybe in advanced settings-administration-system?

Or, perhaps you didn't need to enable it at all, and could simply ssh to the box using stock firmware, with the default username and password. I'm afraid I don't remember.
mrkrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone figure out why so many features are missing/disabled/hotwired lately in the broadcom 4331?

pretty gangster to disable 802.11d and h to well not have to deal with them (in the driver).

Country Code Q2 is a serious hack job
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jonathan wrote:
Hmmm...well, I didn't spend a lot of time in the stock Asus firmware (just long enough to upgrade the CFE and flash Fractal's DD-WRT build), but as I recall, you could enable SSH or telnet from the stock firmware. Maybe in advanced settings-administration-system?

Or, perhaps you didn't need to enable it at all, and could simply ssh to the box using stock firmware, with the default username and password. I'm afraid I don't remember.

I do see in tools that there is a run cmd tab (i have the merlin firmware in there now) but since i know how to do ssh i'll just do that.
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried the 30/30/30 command but it did not erase the nvram.

then i tried erase nvram command in ssh but it say erase not found. then i tried mtd -r erase nvram and it say mtd not found.

do i really have to do 30/30/30 after i got CFE 1.0.1.3 in the router?
Jonathan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hyperian wrote:
I tried the 30/30/30 command but it did not erase the nvram.

then i tried erase nvram command in ssh but it say erase not found. then i tried mtd -r erase nvram and it say mtd not found.

do i really have to do 30/30/30 after i got CFE 1.0.1.3 in the router?

I believe holding the "WPS" button for several seconds during power up (until the power led starts flashing) should do the same thing on this router. I did a 30/30/30 with the WPS button just to be safe, but the power-up WPS should actually be sufficient to return nvram to default..
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
cool. i got it to work. i have the firmware working now on my router, thanks everyone.
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
crap, seems like i have ran into a trouble..

does anyone know how well the asus RT-N66U with dd-wrt router play with a WRT54G router with dd-wrt?

I am trying to set up my WDS like i had before but it doesn't seem to work anymore even though I copied the settings (manually) over from my old router to the new one.

does WDS only work on the same brand of router?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hyperian wrote:

does anyone know how well the asus RT-N66U with dd-wrt router play with a WRT54G router with dd-wrt?

I am trying to set up my WDS like i had before but it doesn't seem to work anymore even though I copied the settings (manually) over from my old router to the new one.

Not necessarily have to be the same brand, mainly same chip manufacturer, which in your case is probably ok, but thing is, you may have to down step the RT-N66U to G-mode only to hold a WDS link to the WRT54G.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Hyperian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Hyperian wrote:

Not necessarily have to be the same brand, mainly same chip manufacturer, which in your case is probably ok, but thing is, you may have to down step the RT-N66U to G-mode only to hold a WDS link to the WRT54G.

thanks, i went back to the settings and i actually had to turn off security to make sure it's working, then turn it back on.
yes it's on G only.

does anyone know if WDS would work on both radios if i buy two RT-N66U?
jbombs16
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I successfully flashed the Fractal's CFE firmware and ran it for a few days. I then flashed Merlin's firmware on my n66u. I was running Merlin's for over a month with no problems.

Last night i accessed my router and it went to dd-wrt with the default settings instead of Merlin. I do not know what happened to my Merlin firmware.

I have attempted to boot into recovery mode (I got the slow blinking light) but I can not seem to successfully flash Merlin using the firmware recovery utility (or Fractals build). I am sometimes able to access the CFE miniserver when booting to recovery mode (when accessing the routers IP - some times it goes to CFE, other times to ddwrt). The times I have gotten to the CFE miniserver, whenever I flash a firmware, the page just says "waiting to connect" or something like that and eventually times out.

When using the firmware recover utility, i can successfully upload the firmware and when it gets to 100% of the recovery portion, it says it failed because it cannot connect to the router (tells me to verify that the light is still slowly blinking). It seems that the light stops blinking sometime after the firmware is uploaded to the router.

There is still something wrong with the ddwrt that is now on my router as I cannot connect to the WAN. If i can flash a firmware through ddwrt, can I just change Fractal's trx to a bin and flash? Or can I change Merlin's trx to bin?

Or is there another ddwrt firmware I should flash to hopefully recover and clear up the issues?

I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like W1SS over on the TiaoWiki forum managed to resurrect his RT-N66 using JTAG. Perhaps we can get him to share exactly how he did it? I read through what he posted but I'm not sure I understand it all, as he didn't post the commands he used...

Here's the thread: http://www.tiaowiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,4102.15.html

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 35, 36, 37  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 32 of 37
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: