TP-Link WR941ND

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
alan.lau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:16    Post subject: TP-Link WR941ND Reply with quote
Hi all,

This is my first time using TP-Link WR941ND, I tried flashing it with the initial flash Factory-to-DDWRT.bin it said failed.

I tried changing the name of the file to the name that TP-Link gave its own firmware ... it failed as well.

The version of the TPLink is v2/v3

Please advice anyone?
Sponsor
Keon91
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are different builds for the v2 and v3.
so look on the sticker on the bottom of your devices which version you have a 2.xx or a 3.xx.

v2 build:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/tplink_tl-wr941ndv2/

v3 build:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/tplink_tl-wr941ndv3/
alan.lau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
MaKCuMyC wrote:
where you got "Factory-to-DDWRT.bin"?

special image for initial flashing? its on the router DB
alan.lau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keon91 wrote:
there are different builds for the v2 and v3.
so look on the sticker on the bottom of your devices which version you have a 2.xx or a 3.xx.

v2 build:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/tplink_tl-wr941ndv2/

v3 build:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/tplink_tl-wr941ndv3/

ok ... i will try and let u know the result
alan.lau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
it worked nicely .. thanks
hamnia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Keon91"]there are different builds for the v2 and v3.

v2 build:

v3 build:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/tplink_tl-wr941ndv3/[/quote]

I got the files
when i'm uploading them
it shows an error that says
"
Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file "

dont know what to do with it
denzelcris
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21    Post subject: FW or settings recommendation :?: Reply with quote
Hello!

I am having the following problem with my wr941nd(rev 3.6): my wireless connection is unstable
By unstable I mean the following issues:
1- under windows7(x64 proffesional edition) my wireless connection is listed as "limited or no connectivity" within few minutes after I connect to my wifi network, also cannot connect to the router's web GUI,but under linux(ubuntu 12.10 32-bit) all seems to work well(connection is stable, can access web GUI);
2- on both OS's I can successfully connect to my wifi network until one point where: in windows7 after I input my wifi pass. it flashes "unable to connect to wifi..." after a few seconds and in ubuntu after I input my pass, it asks for it again within a minute and so on;

My wifi gear is:
-router: currently running BrainSlayer's v24sp2 r19327 FW with the folowing config:
WAN: pppoe (RDS) connection,DNSmasq for DNS and DHCP enabled, I've disabled DHCP-Authoritative (no real reason)
Wireless:mixed mode,20mhz channel width,auto channel selection, on advanced wifi I have changed the rx/tx antenna chains to 1+3 and ack timing to 1000 (again, no real reason for this setting), on wifi security I'm using wpa2 with aes encryption (don't want to use wep or wpa1/2 with tkip)
-PC: using a wn722n wireless adapter
-laptop: using intel centrino n1030 wifi network board

One major drawback: the router is placed 2 floors down so the wifi signal is weak(I'm using a windsurfer add-on on my adaptor's antenna to boost the signal to about 22%, while on my laptop I can hardly get 16% of signal strength in one corner of my room ), but this doesn't explain issue #2 because even with the laptop placed near my router it still refused any attempt to connect to it.

Solutions:
-for issue #1 I switch to linux Very Happy as it looks like it is a driver problem (tried different adapter driver versions and fixes for window7 with no result)
-for #2 I'm using a temporal fix: keep-alive function to restart router every 8 hours which if it doesn't work...well I'm pretty much screwed because I have to stalk my neighbor to come home and power cycle the router, or break into his house, or somehow try to cut the power to his home

A little history of my struggle:
I was using r18777 this summer when issue #2 stated appearing after which I flashed to r19519...didn't fixed anything...in fact not even the scheduled reboot could bring the thing back, having to power-cycle ..after that I've reverted to latest stock firmware ...wifi lasted for an hour or so Confused ...then did some research to find out that people are flagging r19327 as pretty stable so I've flashed to it .

Why am I sharing all this?
I'm searching for a stable build for my wr941nd router (especially the wifi part) without bricking it so I'm asking the community for help in recommending working firmware versions (thinking of trying r16 or even r14)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:37    Post subject: Re: FW or settings recommendation :?: Reply with quote
denzelcris wrote:
Hello!

I am having the following problem with my wr941nd(rev 3.6): my wireless connection is unstable
By unstable I mean the following issues:
1- under windows7(x64 proffesional edition) my wireless connection is listed as "limited or no connectivity" within few minutes after I connect to my wifi network, also cannot connect to the router's web GUI,but under linux(ubuntu 12.10 32-bit) all seems to work well(connection is stable, can access web GUI);
2- on both OS's I can successfully connect to my wifi network until one point where: in windows7 after I input my wifi pass. it flashes "unable to connect to wifi..." after a few seconds and in ubuntu after I input my pass, it asks for it again within a minute and so on;

Same here, my v3.6 is very unstable with DD-WRT. My iPad and iMac connect *seem* ok, but my LG Smart TV is very unstable and drops the WiFi every 20 - 60 minutes (random).

However, factory firmware seems perfectly stable.

I was running the 12/31/12 build for the WR941ND.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: