WZR-HP-AG300H stock pro firmware VS community firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
eki27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:51    Post subject: WZR-HP-AG300H stock pro firmware VS community firmware Reply with quote
Hi all,

Could you tell me what's difference between stock pro firmware and community firmware on buffalo router WZR-HP-AG300H?

What are advantages to change the original firmware? Is the original locked?
What are differences between pro <-> user friendly <-> community versions?
Can I add optware using the stock firmware?

Thanks!!
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) Not sure what you mean by locked?

2) This will pretty much answer one of your questions in the first question set (won't answer the locked one, as i don't know what you mean). The main difference to me is the frequency at which buffalo releases their test builds versus the frequency of which the community builds get released. Buffalo dd-wrt has the setup wizard for easier config, and has a few other not needed functions (WPS and i think FTP setup wizard) that are geared mainly for wireless noobs. The community builds don't have those features, which is why i like it more. As far as the 'user friendly' firmware goes, i cannot comment on it, i only used it to flash to dd-wrt, so i never endured its functionality aspects. I do know that it is very limited on its wireless aspects, as you cannot link units together without using WDS with it.

3) I am going to assume the 'stock' firmware is the default dd-wrt installation that the buffalo's ship with now, if so, then yes, you can use optware with it.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
eki27
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Budee,

I meant "locked" as features to makes the unit unable to be changed (optware) or tweaked (adding some other init.d scripts...)
But as you said, it doesn't seems to be "locked" (protected).

Meantime, I switched to community r19519 (all works fine).

Thank you for all your explanations!

In the near future, I would like to rebuild a firmware to include a second webserver and multiple Linux user without using external memory and optware. But I have to learn how to do this and how to use toolchains... Is there any good A-Z documentation somewhere about it? (or maybe someone could coach me using remote VNC? Smile )

Thanks again.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have any guides in which to do it with, but i would suggest that if you are going to try to build custom for this unit that you look into openwrt. DD-WRT's ath9k driver isn't open source, so the likely-hood of you being able to easily make a custom build with its architecture isn't likely.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
azncapcom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got this router and the stock firmware is dated 3/21/11.

I think its also using a generic version of DDWRT cause it says v24SP2 MULTI. Is this true?

I went to the buffalo site and they only have two versions of the ddwrt. One is a pro version and one is a regular version of dd wrt. also a 3rd buffalo user friendly version.

My question is... should i bother upgrading to the newer pro version of dd wrt from buffalo's site? dated 07-10-2012.

Should I expect any speedboosts? or a more reliable updated firmware maybe?

Or should I try to find a newer version of the generic dd wrt firmware?

or last option, leave it as it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: