WNDR3700v4 Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
nicotine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 23:16    Post subject: WNDR3700v4 Support Reply with quote
I just purchased a WNDR3700 thinking that I could just flash dd-wrt on it and be good to go but then I found out that mine is the v4 and doesn't appear to be officially supported yet. I was wondering if anyone knew when it would be supported or if I could just flash the dd-wrt for the v2 since the v4 uses an Atheros chip like the v2 did.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to a quick google search they are 2 different atheros chips. So I'd say no.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi is correct, you can't flash a build meant for another unit to a unit that is not supported. What you need to provide is this info:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

And better yet, a serial log and possibly donate a unit to the devs so that support can be ported, but serial log is a good start, with that, it may not even need a donated unit for the port.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
arcymag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as OP. However, I'd be willing to help provide a serial log if it's not too complicated. Can someone point me to a link on where to get a serial log, and let me know who to give the log to? (or do I just post it here when I have it?)

I develop on linux and am comfortable with standard make tools.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
arcymag wrote:
I'm in the same boat as OP. However, I'd be willing to help provide a serial log if it's not too complicated. Can someone point me to a link on where to get a serial log, and let me know who to give the log to? (or do I just post it here when I have it?)

I develop on linux and am comfortable with standard make tools.

You can use this guide as a reference. Just overlook the de-bricking part, all you need is to hook the serial cable up and let it run and log what it outputs.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
arcymag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry.... where is the link to the guide you speak of?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would've help if i included the link, doh.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

arcymag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uhoh it appears I'll need to purchase hardware and open up the box to do this? My device does come with a USB port, but I assume that's for NAS, not for any serial hookup.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
arcymag wrote:
Uhoh it appears I'll need to purchase hardware and open up the box to do this? My device does come with a USB port, but I assume that's for NAS, not for any serial hookup.

Yes, you'll need to get a ca-42 clone cable or equal (some people use different kind of cables etc) that can do 3.3v level shifting, if you get the ca-42 clone cable, you'll need to splice off the phone connector end and figure out which wires are what. I use a multi-meter to do that with, then hook it up (solder a header or direct wire solder) to the serial port on the board. Then log its output, most times i use putty, some people use hyper-terminal.

I have not ever tried using a router's USB port to do a serial connection, so i cannot comment on that.

arcymag
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think I have the requisite hardware and time for this =(. I hope someone else in the community can give it a try! Thanks so much buddee for your time even though I wasn't able to help.

I can get an old netbook for about the same price as my router. I'm surprised we still need specialized hardware.
spidernet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am another one in the same boat as OP

i am planning to open it up and purchase the necessary adaptors to get the serial output

this is what I find:
http://www.amazon.com/STM32-Download-Cable-Three-color-Indicator/dp/B009VBHUNY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&m=AJ55YCJMNDC3F&qid=1354761779&s=generic&sr=1-14

it seems to me it would allow me to connect the serial port on the router to my laptop's usb port.

could someone double check that's the correct item?

thanks
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
spidernet wrote:

could someone double check that's the correct item?

thanks

Looks right to me. Level shifting ttl. See the serial recovery wiki as it also has hardware info. Hopefully those connections are clearly labeled on that unit...

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
spidernet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for confirming that

i just ordered the level shifter, needs to wait for it to arrive now...

i also opened up the case to confirm that the board of this revision has the same serial connector as earlier revisions
dd-flo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:09    Post subject: bot-log WNDR3700v4 Reply with quote
Hi there,
i've managed to connect to the WNDR3700v4 via Jtag-RS232-USB.

I saved the boot-log -> see the attachment.
dd-flo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20    Post subject: WNDR3700v4 - Jtag connection Reply with quote
Photo how i connected it via Jtag - RS232 - USB
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: