WRT54GS V7 Blinking Power Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
acidrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27    Post subject: WRT54GS V7 Blinking Power Light Reply with quote
Hi,
Ive been doing some research for a little while now and cant seem to get any type of results.
So Heres the deal the router is a WRT54GS V7 that almost 3 years ago was flashed with dd-wrt. It was working well until something stopped it from working. Now all that happens is that the Power light on the front blinks all the time.
I can ping the router and get a response of 64 all the time. I have tried 30/30/30 which will get it into management mode but thats all it does. using any .bin file just results in " Upgrade Fail " message.
Ive tried the firmware upgrade utility but just get "time out " messages.
From what ive read i still far from jtag point because of the TTL response of 64 that im constantly getting. Is this true?
Also im tring all of this on a win 7 laptop not sure if that makes a diffence.
Some help on this would be great.
Thanks
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you mean with "management mode" ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
What do you mean with "management mode" ?

By doing the 30/30/30 reset the router goes into management mode firmware upgrade. This allows you to select a firmware to apply. But even without doing the 30/30/30 reset management mode is always on. It never goes away. typing in 192.168.1.1 will always take me to it.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no management firmware upgrade mode in a WRT54GSv7 if it has been converted from OEM (WXWorks OS) into dd-wrt with Linux OS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems you still have the default firmware on your router or your browser cache has to be cleared.
acidrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The last thing i remeber is changing something to do with the signal strength in dd-wrt and thats when i couldnt access the router admin anymore.
Are there any commands or software that will allow me to read the firmware thats currently on the router. If i can find out whats on there at the moment might help in resolving it.
I have attached an image of the Firmware management mode that i get all the time. Browser cache is cleared so thats not an issue. But to me it doesnt look like OEM page but i could be wrong.

router.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.5 KB
 Viewed:  9618 Time(s)

router.png

X-TraxxX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
If reply has TTL of 64, the operating system firmware(i.e. Linux, dd-wrt) is responding. The good news here is that there IS operating system firmware on your router.

Do you know what dd wrt firmware version you were running?

The Linksys site mentions 'Management Mode' which makes it trivial to recover from bad flashing (answer id 3176). Here's how to do it:
Unplug the power cord from the back of the router.
Hold down the Reset button.
While holding down the Reset button, plug back in the power cord to the router.
Continue to hold the Reset button for five (5) seconds. After five (5) seconds, release the button.
Wait for about one (1) minute. Then, on a computer connected to the router, launch a web browser (for example, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox).
Type in the router's IP address of http://192.168.1.1 into the Address field and press the [Enter] key.
The Management Mode - Firmware Upgrade interface should appear.

Note This technique only officially applies to hardware version 5 of the router ( what version do I have?). However, some version of the DD-WRT seem to have this ability on other versions of the hardware, so you might find it works anyway.

Are you sure you did a proper 30/30/30?

To do a 30-30-30 reset you must push the reset button with your router powered on. Hold it for 30 seconds with the router powered on. STILL holding it, pull the power cord for 30 seconds. Still holding it, plug the power back into your router and continue to hold the reset button for 30 more seconds. You will have held the button for a full 90 seconds without releasing it.

HARD RESETS USUALLY DON'T WORK WITH STOCK FIRMWARE!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
That screenshot is from the managment page of OEM firmware, there is no dd-wrt on the router.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
X-TraxxX wrote:
If reply has TTL of 64, the operating system firmware(i.e. Linux, dd-wrt) is responding. The good news here is that there IS operating system firmware on your router.

Do you know what dd wrt firmware version you were running?

The Linksys site mentions 'Management Mode' which makes it trivial to recover from bad flashing (answer id 3176). Here's how to do it:
Unplug the power cord from the back of the router.
Hold down the Reset button.
While holding down the Reset button, plug back in the power cord to the router.
Continue to hold the Reset button for five (5) seconds. After five (5) seconds, release the button.
Wait for about one (1) minute. Then, on a computer connected to the router, launch a web browser (for example, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox).
Type in the router's IP address of http://192.168.1.1 into the Address field and press the [Enter] key.
The Management Mode - Firmware Upgrade interface should appear.

Note This technique only officially applies to hardware version 5 of the router ( what version do I have?). However, some version of the DD-WRT seem to have this ability on other versions of the hardware, so you might find it works anyway.

Are you sure you did a proper 30/30/30?

To do a 30-30-30 reset you must push the reset button with your router powered on. Hold it for 30 seconds with the router powered on. STILL holding it, pull the power cord for 30 seconds. Still holding it, plug the power back into your router and continue to hold the reset button for 30 more seconds. You will have held the button for a full 90 seconds without releasing it.

HARD RESETS USUALLY DON'T WORK WITH STOCK FIRMWARE!

No unfortunately i cant remember what version i was using. But a thought did pop into my head. Ive done the 30/30/30 reset that doesnt seem to do anything lights dont go off when pressing it even the Lan activity light still blinks as data is going through it. That shouldnt happen right? Not if im pressing the reset button. Ive got a feeling that maybe the reset button is fried. Or the solder points are bad. Im gonna try testing the button tomorrow and post back with what i find.
acidrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone confirm for me that if the reset button is pressed that it interrupts a ping session.
For example i run a 192.168.1.1 /t window to show the constant TTL 64 replies and show any changes. I am assuming that if i press the reset button those ping responses should change right?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
why is it important?

the reset button only works when either the cfe is testing for it upon boot, or there is firmware running looking for the reset button to be pressed (polling). That is how the reset button can be disabled in the dd-wrt gui. It quits checking the status of the button.

your router is in management mode. that means there is not valid firmware on it to run so it defaults to this mode. pressing the reset button will do nothing.

use management mode to flash the stock firmware for your router, then follow the wiki to install dd-wrt if you choose.

the proper installation of dd-wrt will replace the vxworks bsp (which is what you are seeing now), with a broadcom cfe (and then there is no management mode).

Last edited by barryware on Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:02; edited 1 time in total
acidrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
why is it important?

the reset button only works when either the cfe is testing for it upon boot, or there is firmware running looking for the reset button to be pressed (polling). That is how the reset button can be disabled in the dd-wrt gui. It quits checking the status of the button.

your router is in management mode. that means there is not valid firmware on it to run so it defaults to this mode. pressing the reset button will do nothing.

use management mode to flash the stock firmware for your router, then follow the wiki to install dd-wrt if you choose.

Thats my problem, Management mode when choosing any firmware results in "Upgrade Fail" message.

I had read somewhere that upon boot for a small window the router will allow me to tftp a new firmware to the device but if the reset button doesnt work i cant get that window if opportunity.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
acidrs wrote:
barryware wrote:
why is it important?

Thats my problem, Management mode when choosing any firmware results in "Upgrade Fail" message.

I had read somewhere that upon boot for a small window the router will allow me to tftp a new firmware to the device but if the reset button doesnt work i cant get that window if opportunity.

that small window is available when the router is 1st powered on. However most of the time, your pc nic takes too long to initialize and that small window has come and gone.

what are you trying to flash exactly? it better be the stock firmware because dd-wrt will not flash with a vxworks bootloader (bsp) still on the router

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
acidrs wrote:
barryware wrote:
why is it important?

that small window is available when the router is 1st powered on. However most of the time, your pc nic takes too long to initialize and that small window has come and gone.

what are you trying to flash exactly? it better be the stock firmware because dd-wrt will not flash with a vxworks bootloader (bsp) still on the router

Yes at this moment in time all im trying to do is flash the original firmware to get it back to a state that i can work with.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
try flashing this:

ftp://ftp.barryware.net/OEM%20Firmware/FW_WRT54GSv7_7.50.8.001_US_20091005.bin

Navigation

Jump to: