Force a mac address to connect to repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:57    Post subject: Force a mac address to connect to repeater Reply with quote
I have a set up of a main access point that connect to various repeaters (a mixture of limksys 54g and 610n) all with dd wrt. I have an airplay speaker, klipsch g17, that will randomly connect to any repeater, or the main wifi router, rather than latching on to the closest and strongest wifi signal. Is there a way for me to configure dd wrt so that it forces my cloest repeater (repeater bridge) a linksys 610n, to be the one that connects to the speaker? This speaker doesnt move at all so i dont mind if its forced to only connect to this specific repeater and doesnt work on any others).

I dont doubt at all that it might be the way the speaker firmware or airplay is designed, but i doubt klipsch is fixing this issue and not sure when apple will get to it if at all. That why im hoping that i can fix this on dd wrt's side.

More info:

Main router is ubiquiti power ap n which is an atheros based router placed in middle of house. I then have one repeater which is a linksys 54g placed on one end of the house and a 610n placed onnthe other end. this 610n is the one closest to the airplay speaker (right next door to each other). Everything configured by following instructions in the dd wrt wiki. Eveything else works flawlessly - upwards of 12-15 devices at times which include macs, windows pc's, 6 phones, 4 ipads, etc.

Only 2.4 ghz g network. No other wireless networks in range.

Wpa2 aes personal security. Ive tried others with no luck.

Id rather not mess around with the way my network is set up since it took me a while to get it the way i wanted. Simply hoping for a script or some dd wrt option i havent noticed that will force a certain mac address to connect to a specific router/repeater.

Edit: read about the mac address filtering but that suggests either "allow following mac addresses" which doesnt work for me since i have guests a lot. "Deny following" doesnt work either unless i tell my main ubiquiti router to deny the airplay mac address and tell the 610n to allow it (but this would mean id again have to insert wll mac addresses of various devices into this portion. Dont want to do this since people roam around throughout the house). Theres also the wl command and ive read the wiki but have no idea how to configure it or if its even appropriate in this case. Also i wouldnt know if id run it on the ubiquti device (the wiki says wl command is not as advanced for atheros routers) or the repeater (610n).
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set a unique ssid on the repeater and then set the speaker to only use the unique ssid. Repeater isnt designed to use mac adresses.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
zank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess i'm out of luck then. I don't want to change my ssid names for repeaters as i like to have the same ssid throughout so devices can roam without any issues. Mainly my parents would give up on the internet if they have to change ssid's manually sometimes (i've tried the multiple ssid thing and a lot of times devices will attach to a weaker signal and not be able to browse rather than connect to the stronger signal as long as the previous connection is available).

Guess i'll keep searching for alternate solutions. If someone has any other advice or solutions i'd really appreciate it.
matt92h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could create another Virtual Interface and set the ssid to 'ssid speaker' and make the speaker connect to it. That would make it so you still have the normal ssid (so you can roam) and the speaker would still be connected to the same network but stay connected to the 610n
zank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
matt92h wrote:
You could create another Virtual Interface and set the ssid to 'ssid speaker' and make the speaker connect to it. That would make it so you still have the normal ssid (so you can roam) and the speaker would still be connected to the same network but stay connected to the 610n

That is brilliant!!!! Im not at home to try this but i think this should work!!! So despite the second virtual ssid on my 610n repeater bridge (already had to create one as part of instructions to do repeater bridge) this is still all thesame network and my devices should atill see the speaker regardless of it beig connected to a different ssid?I figire if thats the case this should work. And if it doesnt then i guess thats apples fault.

Thanka so much for the sugestion i have another pair of b&w zeppelins on the way and i was dreading all my airplay speakers would go to waste.
matt92h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep all on the same network but with a different ssids. It should definitely work. I have tried this on my DD-WRT and it works. Just make sure you setup security on the second virtual interface. (By default it is disabled)

All you have to do is go to wireless > Basic Settings > Click 'Add' under Virtual Interfaces. and the type your ssid for the speaker. Click SAVE

To set up security on the second virtual interface:
Wireless > Wireless Security > (the last one on the list is the second virtual interface) and then type the password and then click SAVE then APPLY SETTINGS.
zank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
matt92h wrote:
Yep all on the same network but with a different ssids. It should definitely work. I have tried this on my DD-WRT and it works. Just make sure you setup security on the second virtual interface. (By default it is disabled)

All you have to do is go to wireless > Basic Settings > Click 'Add' under Virtual Interfaces. and the type your ssid for the speaker. Click SAVE

To set up security on the second virtual interface:
Wireless > Wireless Security > (the last one on the list is the second virtual interface) and then type the password and then click SAVE then APPLY SETTINGS.

Hey,
so i finally ended up coming to my other house where this speaker is and giving it a shot.

So it still doesnt want to co-operate.
here is what i tried.

- i currently have only wl0 enabled on my 610n v1. It is on the G network. Also there is a virtual interface setup as specified by the wiki. wl1 is disabled.

- I tried adding a second virtual interface on wl0. It adds, sets up security, but i cant see it in my list of wifi ssid's.

- I enabled wl1. For some reason i can't see a ssid. I tried on b, g and n separately with no luck.

- Add a vietual interface for wl1, with a different ssid, and suddenly now i can see both the ssid's for wl1. If i remove the virtual interface, the original disappears. I set this up on AP instead of the repeater bridge for wl0.

- For some reason the signal for wl1 under any mode is weaker than wl0 even on both set up on g.

- My speaker won't connect.

I am on 15962 on my 610n.

I've read they have issues with virtual interfaces. Do you have a suggestion on which firmware i should use? i've been searching for the past 2 hours and i've just been confused. I can' t even find my 15962 build on the ftp site anymore which is odd since i want to find it first before i experiment so if i run into issues i can always revert.
matt92h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your issues sound like firmware issues.

The firmware version 15962 is quite old
Try this firmware:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-19519_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

In the wiki(http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT610N)it mentions non functional wl1 and erratic wl0.

Also look under the titles in the above wiki:
LINUX KERNEL 2.6 BUILDS
Latest version

Here is the firmware for build 15962:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/12-24-10-r15962/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15962_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin
zank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks man. In the wiki it mentions that builds above 15600 introduce ppoe issues (which is what im using). Mine works i think because im currently using the k24 builds. Ill give the newest version you posted, but if i have problems and want to use the k24 version of the same build im assuming id use the following file:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_wrt610n.bin

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it.
matt92h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
zank wrote:
Thanks man. In the wiki it mentions that builds above 15600 introduce ppoe issues (which is what im using). Mine works i think because im currently using the k24 builds. Ill give the newest version you posted, but if i have problems and want to use the k24 version of the same build im assuming id use the following file:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_wrt610n.bin

Hope all goes well, also if your in repeater mode on the 610n I don't know why you would need to be using PPPoE on the 610n. If your using PPPoE on the 'ubiquiti power ap n' it won't affect it.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf's right...Repeater mode was never designed to work with all units on the same SSID...Repeater mode is SSID driven...not MAC driven...if you want to have everything on the same SSID...switch it all over to WDS mode...that is MAC driven...not SSID driven.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
matt92h wrote:
zank wrote:

Hope all goes well, also if your in repeater mode on the 610n I don't know why you would need to be using PPPoE on the 610n. If your using PPPoE on the 'ubiquiti power ap n' it won't affect it.

so sorry you're absolutely right. With all the routers in this house i forget sometimes what i'm talking about. The 610n actually is not in pppoe mode. the wan connection is disabled and wireless is in repeater bridge.
I will try this tonight as i jsut got back home and hope this works.
will update once done.
zank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Murrkf's right...Repeater mode was never designed to work with all units on the same SSID...Repeater mode is SSID driven...not MAC driven...if you want to have everything on the same SSID...switch it all over to WDS mode...that is MAC driven...not SSID driven.

redhawk

I actually tried WDS mod and would ahve been my prefereed mode but from the detailed readup i did wds has issues unless all the routers use the same chip. Mine unfortunately done. My ubiquti power ap n router ( it is a high power 600mw router and and the reason i use it) has an atheros chip, and then my repeaters (610n and 54g) use the broadcom.
I spent days trying to configure them but didn't work out.

If you know of specific versions that might work please let me know as i'd love to try it again. But with the versions i am using right now it didnt work.

also when you say "Mac driven" vs "ssid driven" what do you mean? Does it mean that in wds mode my devices look for the ssid, and then connects to the the mac address of closest "repeater" and thus locks itself int othis repeater?
rschossler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 0:42    Post subject: Re: Force a mac address to connect to repeater Reply with quote
zank wrote:
I have a set up of a main access point that connect to various repeaters (a mixture of limksys 54g and 610n) all with dd wrt. I have an airplay speaker, klipsch g17, that will randomly connect to any repeater, or the main wifi router, rather than latching on to the closest and strongest wifi signal. Is there a way for me to configure dd wrt so that it forces my cloest repeater (repeater bridge) a linksys 610n, to be the one that connects to the speaker? This speaker doesnt move at all so i dont mind if its forced to only connect to this specific repeater and doesnt work on any others).

I dont doubt at all that it might be the way the speaker firmware or airplay is designed, but i doubt klipsch is fixing this issue and not sure when apple will get to it if at all. That why im hoping that i can fix this on dd wrt's side.

More info:

Main router is ubiquiti power ap n which is an atheros based router placed in middle of house. I then have one repeater which is a linksys 54g placed on one end of the house and a 610n placed onnthe other end. this 610n is the one closest to the airplay speaker (right next door to each other). Everything configured by following instructions in the dd wrt wiki. Eveything else works flawlessly - upwards of 12-15 devices at times which include macs, windows pc's, 6 phones, 4 ipads, etc.

Only 2.4 ghz g network. No other wireless networks in range.

Wpa2 aes personal security. Ive tried others with no luck.

Id rather not mess around with the way my network is set up since it took me a while to get it the way i wanted. Simply hoping for a script or some dd wrt option i havent noticed that will force a certain mac address to connect to a specific router/repeater.

Edit: read about the mac address filtering but that suggests either "allow following mac addresses" which doesnt work for me since i have guests a lot. "Deny following" doesnt work either unless i tell my main ubiquiti router to deny the airplay mac address and tell the 610n to allow it (but this would mean id again have to insert wll mac addresses of various devices into this portion. Dont want to do this since people roam around throughout the house). Theres also the wl command and ive read the wiki but have no idea how to configure it or if its even appropriate in this case. Also i wouldnt know if id run it on the ubiquti device (the wiki says wl command is not as advanced for atheros routers) or the repeater (610n).

I also use the same SSID on all routers (by standardization and organization).
I have been using Client Bridge (Routed) for a long time (WDS is bureaucratic).
I had this problem, my solution was to block the wireless MAC between routers.
Now, Router DD-WRT 1 and Router DD-WRT 2 connect only to the main router.

Main Router
Wireless MAC (SSID: Wi-Fi): xx:xx:xx:xx:00:01

Router DD-WRT 1:
Wireless MAC (ath0) (SSID: Wi-Fi): xx:xx:xx:xx:01:01
Wireless MAC VAP (ath0.1) (SSID: Wi-Fi): xx:xx:xx:xx:01:02
Wireless > MAC Filter > ath0.1 > Enable > Prevent clients listed from accessing the wireless network > Block MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:02:01

Router DD-WRT 2:
Wireless MAC (ath0) (SSID: Wi-Fi): xx:xx:xx:xx:02:01
Wireless MAC VAP (ath0.1) (SSID: Wi-Fi): xx:xx:xx:xx:02:02
Wireless > MAC Filter > ath0.1 > Enable > Prevent clients listed from accessing the wireless network > Block MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:01:01
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: