Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
so what is the latest firmware version to work using this method on this router and does it work well? is this with the 32K CFE or the 64K CFE?

somebody in another thread said they had 19342 Big working but never gave any additional feedback.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Sponsor
mavo460
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

today i flashed the Router with the Original FW 2 times. First flash with RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_220.trx and then with RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_246.trx

The router works well with this fw but i like dd-wrt so i put again for first flash the dd-wrt mini (dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx) and after this the big (dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_big_RT-N66U.trx) on the router.

Router works very good with this.

rt-n66udd-wrt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.73 KB
 Viewed:  25947 Time(s)

rt-n66udd-wrt.jpg

gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:45    Post subject: mavo460's test results Reply with quote
@mavo460: please post your test observations and any information to support that this firmware is ready for general use. Were both bands tested?

This router has had numerous issues (many tied to the NVRAM issue). Was this issue resolved in this release?

Thanks.

Nebudchanezzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 17:50    Post subject: Re: mavo460's test results Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:

This router has had numerous issues (many tied to the NVRAM issue). Was this issue resolved in this release?

Thanks.

No it was not.
benito11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nowadays you can update CFE with the information in this thread.

You MUST READ EVERYTHING because if you don't know what you are doing you will brick your router easily.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=163479&start=210

It works
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
benito11 wrote:
Nowadays you can update CFE with the information in this thread.

You MUST READ EVERYTHING because if you don't know what you are doing you will brick your router easily.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=163479&start=210

It works

He is correct,

Asus has new N66U hardware that have 64k CFE, and you can update your 32K CFE in the thread above... It makes the router usable... But as stated everywhere on all the threads, you must follow the instructions to the dot. It is well worth it having a 64kcfe.. Once you upgrade CFE you will have to use my special build of dd-wrt on barrywares FTP... Again this is all mentioned in the link above.

Regards,

-Fractal
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 13:41    Post subject: Re: mavo460's test results Reply with quote
@fractal: please confirm that the 64KB CFE does \ does not overcome the issues identified in my previous post below. Do both bands 2.4 and 5.8 work?

gatorback wrote:
@mavo460: please post your test observations and any information to support that this firmware is ready for general use. Were both bands tested?

Thanks.

Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 15:06    Post subject: Re: mavo460's test results Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:
@fractal: please confirm that the 64KB CFE does \ does not overcome the issues identified in my previous post below. Do both bands 2.4 and 5.8 work?

gatorback wrote:

Thanks.

I can confirm both band work, nothing changes as far as the what you currently see in the router except it has twice the nvram and you can use services like UPNP and others.

-Fractal
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@fractal: thanks for the prompt response: I installed tomatoe on my device. It's nice to know that I can return to DD-WRT.

I wonder (hope that) if the detailed procedure (with the goal to avoid bricking) published on the wiki, preferably by those who have pioneered \ successfully implemented the process.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

@contributors: excellent work moving the ball forward on this platform. Singling out Fractal in particular.

cugolfer33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://homeentertainmentguide.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-get-wake-on-lan-working-asus.html

Guide I created for upgrading n66u to dd-wrt
davevandam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all. I'm planning on buying this router as a replacement for my feeble D-Link DIR601. YEARS ago I flashed DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT54G and it looks like the process has become a bit more sophisticated since then. I've read this entire thread but I'm still confused as to the status of DD-WRT on this device. The NVRAM issue seems to be a biggie but people have mentioned that they got it to work, while others have jumped to Tomato (Which I have NO experience with.) Is DD-WRT good to flash on this device, or should I give Tomato a shot first?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
davevandam wrote:
Is DD-WRT good to flash on this device, or should I give Tomato a shot first?

DD-WRT is currently problematic on this device. There are some considerable hoops to jump through, and if you're not careful you can brick your router, You will not get the accelerated processing.

Tomato or Merlin are worth looking at. Even the original OEM firmware is pretty good and has a lot of features. Unless you have some specific need for DD-WRT, it's certainly worth checking those out first before wading through all the info needed to get a fully working DD-WRT.
davevandam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
buggles wrote:
davevandam wrote:
Is DD-WRT good to flash on this device, or should I give Tomato a shot first?

DD-WRT is currently problematic on this device. There are some considerable hoops to jump through, and if you're not careful you can brick your router, You will not get the accelerated processing.

Tomato or Merlin are worth looking at. Even the original OEM firmware is pretty good and has a lot of features. Unless you have some specific need for DD-WRT, it's certainly worth checking those out first before wading through all the info needed to get a fully working DD-WRT.

Thanks for the tip, and I must say the new router can NOT come fast enough..
Tra5is
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
afxsoftware wrote:
I also had many problems but found instructions in this thread that worked for me.

Follow these steps carefully and you should have no issue’s completing this.

- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Access the router’s built in recovery mode by issuing 192.168.1.1 in browser field.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_mini build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes.

- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_big build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes

- Select Reset NVRAM defaults when it completes (should be quick), in the browser field, type in http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit. When done press enter. When complete select reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot and start building its layers.

- Now you should be able to access via web gui 192.168.1.1 and it should be DD-WRT.

I just purchased a RT-N66U H\W ver B1 for the sole purpose of putting dd-wrt on it. I've unfortunately never done this before but as a technical sort of fellow I figured I'd be able to work it out. Seems I was mistaken...

Firstly, I see that a couple people have said the above instructions work perfectly if followed perfectly. But something doesn't make sense.

Step 3: access the recovery mode by entering the router ip in a browser. The router does respond to pings but the web browser times out. Why is this step necessary and what does it do?

Step 4: waited 10 minutes but the router never responds to pings. It also doesnt seem to reboot automatically since the wireless leds never come on. Holding the wps button and initiating a reset causes the wireless lights to illuminate but it still doesn't respond to pings. At what point is the device rebuilding the nvram info? When is the wait really necessary?

Step 8: select reset nvram defaults? From where? How do you select something when the router doesn't doesn't respond to pings to provide a web interface?

The router database indicates to use dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U
The supported devices page indicates to use K26 18946
The N66U page suggests builds 18946 and 19342
The above instructions indicate build 18777

I've tried all of them and its the same unresponsive result each time. Should I simply try tomato?
Thireus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tra5is wrote:
afxsoftware wrote:
I also had many problems but found instructions in this thread that worked for me.

Follow these steps carefully and you should have no issue’s completing this.

- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

- Access the router’s built in recovery mode by issuing 192.168.1.1 in browser field.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_mini build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_big build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes

- Select Reset NVRAM defaults when it completes (should be quick), in the browser field, type in http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit. When done press enter. When complete select reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot and start building its layers.

- Now you should be able to access via web gui 192.168.1.1 and it should be DD-WRT.

I just purchased a RT-N66U H\W ver B1 for the sole purpose of putting dd-wrt on it. I've unfortunately never done this before but as a technical sort of fellow I figured I'd be able to work it out. Seems I was mistaken...

Firstly, I see that a couple people have said the above instructions work perfectly if followed perfectly. But something doesn't make sense.

Step 3: access the recovery mode by entering the router ip in a browser. The router does respond to pings but the web browser times out. Why is this step necessary and what does it do?

Step 4: waited 10 minutes but the router never responds to pings. It also doesnt seem to reboot automatically since the wireless leds never come on. Holding the wps button and initiating a reset causes the wireless lights to illuminate but it still doesn't respond to pings. At what point is the device rebuilding the nvram info? When is the wait really necessary?

Step 8: select reset nvram defaults? From where? How do you select something when the router doesn't doesn't respond to pings to provide a web interface?

The router database indicates to use dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U
The supported devices page indicates to use K26 18946
The N66U page suggests builds 18946 and 19342
The above instructions indicate build 18777

I've tried all of them and its the same unresponsive result each time. Should I simply try tomato?

I have exactly the same behaviors and the same remarks... Doesn't make sense to me neither.

EDIT: Ok guys. I have some success with different Asus Firmware versions. You should try to rollback to some old firmares on your router. Explanations will make more sense Wink

Navigation

Jump to: