WPA2 Personal on repeater bridge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
strifeknot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:44    Post subject: WPA2 Personal on repeater bridge. Reply with quote
I've been unable to connect through WPA2 security with my repeater bridge setup (WRT-54GL router with std build 14929 behind Huawei Echolife HG520s on stock firmware).

I followed the repeater bridge wiki exactly and can connect by cable or wirelessly to the repeater bridge and router when there is just WPA Personal security but when WPA2 security is selected for both routers I can't connect from behind the repeater bridge. I've tried all the advice I could find on the wiki and forums such as powering down the repeater bridge twice, rebooting both devices, and changing the key refresh from 3600 to 15 seconds on both routers but I still haven't been able to connect with any device behind the repeater bridge whith WPA2 security. Can anyone help?
Sponsor
Xafonics
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having a similar issue. Have you tried just for test purposes if it will connect with no security enabled?

In my case it will not work with WDS with WPA2 personal/AES enabled but with it turned of it connects.
gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last time I checked, (which was some time back) WPA2 does not work with WDS - COPIED FROM HELP MENU IN WDS ROUTER HELP :

"Note
WDS is only available in AP mode. Also Wireless encryption WPA2 and Wireless network mode B-Only are not supported under WDS."

3 WAP54g v3 - repeater, client Bridge, repeater bridge dd-wrt-micro CPU OC225,
1 NetGear WNR2000 v3 AP Atheros AR7241 ver 1 rev 1.1 (0x0101) Trailed build CPU OC360
DD-WRT usually the most current BS builds and less frequently lately EKO builds(because of new BS rules that eliminated EKO builds I used).
strifeknot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back to the thread topic, any suggestions for anything else I could try to get WPA2 working behind a repeater bridge?
MondayC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this:

On the Main Router (serving as access Point/Bridge to your WRT54xx)
Input a WPA2 Personal key composed with only (0-9 A-z) characters with AES+TKIP

On your secondary Router (WRT54xx)
First choose TKIP instead of AES
If no success, then go for AES afterwards.

The go here is to try the encryption types/character keys supported by both routers till you find a match.

Doesn't harm to boot both routers (Main first) after applying new settings.

Good luck

Also, try a 1to1 connection from your computer/laptop to the Main router configured as an Access Point with a particular key, then try to connect to the secondary router (temporary configured as Access Point) using the same key.
strifeknot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply, I should've mentioned that I tried this with the most basic 8 character password possible without success neither with TKIP nor AES. As for setting my main router on TKIP+AES, unfortunately it doesn't have that option.
MondayC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
were you able to connect in a 1to1 configuration a wireless client (pc/laptop) to both router using the same key, encryption method and channel ?

Maybe you will have more luck trying different Build(s) or by re-flashing the current Build?

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: