VoIP and QoS Setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:02    Post subject: VoIP and QoS Setting Reply with quote
Alright so I have a WNDR3700 running build 18777 and just got a VoIP phone. My VoIP provider shipped me a Linksys SPA2012 ATA. So some background info on my network. Its a 18mbps/512kbps cable line (Torrents average at about 1.5MB down)and connected to 3 computers 2 streaming boxes and 5 iphone/android devices plus 2 consoles so yeah allot of devices plus the ATA.

On an average day we would stream from my WHS or use services like netflixs and then there is regular browsing and regular downloading and transfers between LAN. Then of course p2p/torrent traffic.

I tested with VoIP without any QoS with a torrent maxing the connection at 1.6MB and it seemed like there was some audio loss for the other side (meaning I was cutting out), but not that bad yet his was fine (he was not cutting out). I been reading some of the articles on Tomato sites and some of the older ones here and the boardcom forum to get a better understanding, so please see the below setting I have set so far.

In another thread it said I should set the port scheduler to HFSC and not HTB and for the brief testing I was able to do it seemed fine yet torrent where still maxing my connection at 1.4MB/1.5MB which seems alright and not a huge difference before QoS was enabled, which is of course good.

Questions:
1.) Are the setting alright or what should be changed?
3.) Is there any other priorities that i should add for the streamer boxes for and small wireless transfers to/from my phone to other devices and youtube/netflixs on everything.
3.) HFSC or HTB?
4.) WAN or WAN/LAN? (The ATA is on a wireless bridge, at least for now. Yes i know, VoIP + WiFi = BADD) Twisted Evil
5.) What about PS3 and Xbox? Don't want them to lag during game play.
6.) Have I allocated enough for the 80% of my maximum?
Sponsor
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump any input?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem: That QoS isn't even working. Read my sig especially the firmware part.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your post is very vague, are you trying to imply I should upgrade my firmware? If so you can just say so Confused and also explain why my QoS setup will not work.

I made a very detailed post trying to cover everything in the OP and got no real answer. Sad
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update to the latest build... that QoS don't work cause QoS is broken in that build, period.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay thanks will update, but is the setup of QoS good?

Also what about build 19432 I don't want to use 19519 because of the wireless channel bug and VAP.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
19519 or QoS problems, VAPs work on WNDR3700 & wifi channel bug just doesn't show the current channel in use on GUI that is all.

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay, after the upgrade should I setup the same i have it setup now?
Daave311
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 20:31    Post subject: What about Nat Loopback with this build? Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:

Hi, I'm also running build 18777 on a WNDR3700v2 Router and while I hadn't noticed the QoS wasn't working I did notice that the Nat/DNS Loopback was an issue when I'm on the LAN side trying to access something on the LAN using the DDNS service like dyndns.org. Is this issue fixed in the build you are referencing?

i.e. I have some network IP camera's that I try to access using dyndns service and I can access them just fine when I am off my network but accessing them on my network doesn't work.

There was a "FIX" that I've seen referenced in the wiki that you add a line or a couple lines of code to the Firewall command. While that works it also causes my router to want to lock up (for lack of a better word) after a few hours and I have to manually reboot it. When it decided to lock up the network ceases to work and everything is unreachable even though all the lights on the front appear to still be looking normal.
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump would like to know if the settings are correct
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:48    Post subject: Re: What about Nat Loopback with this build? Reply with quote
Daave311 wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:

Hi, I'm also running build 18777 on a WNDR3700v2 Router and while I hadn't noticed the QoS wasn't working I did notice that the Nat/DNS Loopback was an issue when I'm on the LAN side trying to access something on the LAN using the DDNS service like dyndns.org. Is this issue fixed in the build you are referencing?

i.e. I have some network IP camera's that I try to access using dyndns service and I can access them just fine when I am off my network but accessing them on my network doesn't work.

There was a "FIX" that I've seen referenced in the wiki that you add a line or a couple lines of code to the Firewall command. While that works it also causes my router to want to lock up (for lack of a better word) after a few hours and I have to manually reboot it. When it decided to lock up the network ceases to work and everything is unreachable even though all the lights on the front appear to still be looking normal.

Just flashed to 19519 and no the loopback bug is still not fixed. I too need this for my WHS and using the command that was posted in another thread which does the trick.

Now that i'm on the latest build I hope I can actually get the answers i set out to get in the first place, really no help in these forums any more.
correzpond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The regulars on these forums are amongst the most unhelpful uses I have seen on any forum. Period. When I have found answers it is almost always from other newbie's like myself who have researched the issue and make some effort to communicate. 75% of the replies from the regulars are so unhelpful that you can spend hours following up on a point that they did not have the smarts or good sense (or good grace) to communicate properly in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: