PPTP Client Setting

stongest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 17:14    Post subject: PPTP Client Setting Reply with quote
Hello,

I am new to this. I did run a search but could not find the answer.

I am trying to set up my VPN on my router so all my computers can use it.

Currently I can connect to my VPN on the windows machine. It can use any of these protocols

PPTP/L2TP/SSTP

When I create the connection in Windows all I need is
Address
User
Password

When I try to set up the PPTP client on my router with DD-WRT installed it requires a lot more info.

Remote Subnet
Remote Subnet Mask
MPPE Encryption
MTU
MRU

How can I get this information... other then contacting my VPN supplier?
Sponsor
Joovilhar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 19:27    Post subject: Yeah... Reply with quote
I would also be interested in an answer to this question.

Most of the guides I have seen relate to configuring dd-wrt via the command line, not the web interface.

Anyone willing to help?
Dr!X
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you looked at the Tutorials in the Wiki?

WRT300N v1 - DD-WRT v24sp1 std
WRT54GS v2 - DD-WRT v24sp1 mini special
5x WRT54G v2 - DD-WRT v24sp1 mini special
WRT54G v6 - DD-WRT v24 micro special
Joovilhar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 16:36    Post subject: If you mean these... Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_-_Site-to-Site_routed_VPN_between_two_routers
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN_-_Site-to-Site_Bridged_VPN_Between_Two_Routers

...yes, I've seen them.

However, none of these guides cover connecting to a VPN service with the limited parameters available to me.
Joovilhar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would seems this topic is asked about by a number of people. There also seem to be no end of so-called gurus who have no problem pointing to the Wiki (yes, I've read it), but are strangely reluctant to come forward and offer actual help.

To anyone: Do you know how to configure DD-WRT as a PPTP VPN client using JUST the following information?

1) PPTP host
2) User name
3) Password

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you're just planning to refer me to the Wiki, save your keystrokes. I've been there, done that. It has not helped.
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are trying to run your Router as a PPTP Client, take a 'READ' on this wiki.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/PPTP_Tunneling

Only do the FIRST PART (dd-wrt-01). This wiki might be a little dated, be patient, adapt the instructions for the version of the firmware you are using.

This uses the GUI, with some basic scripting, but should point you in the right direction.

I am away from my routers (and my personal notes) right now. I will have to refer to my notes for using the router as a OpenVPN client. I have my router set up (GUI) as a VPN server. You will have to wait on that. I can pick this up over the weekend.
vibranto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bro, you have called it exactly right and speakin' my language. If you were right here I'd buy you a drink.

Most of these "read the Wiki" n00b's have NO IDEA what they are talking about. I'd bet money most have never even tried to setup an OpenVPN connection. Of course they are trying to be helpful by finding you the official docs but those of us who have spent weeks of time suffering with OpenVPN know otherwise.

You are entirely correct in your assumptions, the Wiki OpenVPN stuff ranges from obsolete to confusing to incomplete. Basically it's mostly useless although picking through piece by piece you can learn some tricks and about how the system is supposed to work. All that "config with scripts" stuff has almost nothing to do with configing via the GUI, although you might need a combination, i.e. to create files and set other settings in the scripts so that the GUI part works OK.

Here's where I try to actually be helpful - search for posts I made earlier this year.

My bottom line conclusion by the way, is that OpenVPN really doesn't work on DD-WRT. I have gotten to work for short periods on 2 different models of router but never well and never reliably. I bought a Buffalo router when those crockslugging bastiches announced they'd have full supported OpenVPN support in them, then discovered the DD-WRT firmware was delayed and then the first release didn't have OpenVPN at all after all, and then lo and behold the OpenVPN client still don't work. IMO it seems the best way to get OpenVPN might be a standalone Linux box on both sides. I had that running for a while but it's cumbersome vs. the simplified interface of a dedicated FW device like a DD-WRT router. I REALLY wish it would get sorted out but the handwriting on the wall seems to me that its just not possible... Actually the one hope might be maybe on a router model with tons of memory. My experience seems to suggest that memory restrictions are the things that make it choke on most DD-WRT routers, but again nobody on the development side seems to give 2 sheets about the whole situation. /rant... good luck and hope you do better than I did!

Joovilhar wrote:
It would seems this topic is asked about by a number of people. There also seem to be no end of so-called gurus who have no problem pointing to the Wiki (yes, I've read it), but are strangely reluctant to come forward and offer actual help.
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 14:38    Post subject: Re: PPTP Client Setting Reply with quote
stongest wrote:
Hello,

I am new to this. I did run a search but could not find the answer.

I am trying to set up my VPN on my router so all my computers can use it.

Currently I can connect to my VPN on the windows machine. It can use any of these protocols

PPTP/L2TP/SSTP

When I create the connection in Windows all I need is
Address
User
Password

When I try to set up the PPTP client on my router with DD-WRT installed it requires a lot more info.

Remote Subnet
Remote Subnet Mask
MPPE Encryption
MTU
MRU

How can I get this information... other then contacting my VPN supplier?

You might have to get to your VPN service provider for the information.

Trying to establish a connection via Windows and doing an 'ipconfig /all' will give you some hints on what to use for the subnet and subnet mask.

Leaving them 0.0.0.0 wont work because often times (OpenVPN) the remote server creates a small dedicated network just for you.

Try the default values for the other terms (MTU/MRU) and see what you get.

1 * EA6500 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * EA6500v2 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * WRT610N - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
===================================
telecomengg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi ,
I came across this post when I was searching answers to troubleshoot my vpn connection between my router to an appliance.

And I have the exact same situation, can the people who raise this issue , please share their solution

Thanks in advance
maybeonly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm suffering the same problem. Windows can connect well with only vpnserver, username and password while DD-WRT can't connect at all.
Is there any way to connect just with vpnserver, username and password?
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 BIG on a Linksys E3000.
Thanks a lot.
woodomat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
vibranto wrote:
My bottom line conclusion by the way, is that OpenVPN really doesn't work on DD-WRT.

While I fully agree that parts of the wiki are rather aged and forum gurus presenting a link to it as solution aren't incredibly helpful, I must really state that OpenVPN works rock solid and stable on my E3000 and E4200.

OpenVPN is known to be broken in the latest version, it should work fine up to 18777 (BS) or 18946 (Eko).
jonathanp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also having problems getting a PPTP vpn to work.

Router is a netgear wnr2000v3 running dd-wrt v24 sp2 18777

i'm trying to configure the pptp client to connect to a draytek router

my settings are:-

pptp server off

pptp client on

server ip, username and password filled in

remote subnet 192.168.5.0
remote mask 255.255.255.0

mppe required

nat enabled

under advanced routing i did the following

metric 0
destination lan net 192.168.5.0
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.5.2
interface any

saved and applied settings.

can't ping from lan or using commands on the web ui.

vpn from a windows pc or android tablet works fine to the draytek

Can anyone help?
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think there is a bug in the pptp client. Once connected, go to the routers webgui and go to the status page and click the status page, then click the lan tab. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see pptp connections, take note of the local port it is assigned. It does not get assigned the dhcp port set on the pptp server.

The pptp server seems to work. I am going to try the new beta released this week to see if it solves the problem.
iLac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Is there any news on this? I was really hoping to this, but after three days, I still cannot verify if my PPTP client is connecting and I cannot access IPs on the remote LAN. How could I troubleshoot this? Or maybe I am even missing how it is supposed to work in the first place?
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: