Version Clarification /Generic vs Model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
amd=cool
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 23:23    Post subject: Version Clarification /Generic vs Model Reply with quote
I recently flashed my wrt54g router as per the wiki instruction using the micro generic sp1 v23 sp1 firmware. Whats the difference between the generic version and the one made for that specific model ? I know the model specific ones can only be loaded after the mini generic is on but whats the difference ?

Also i am using 5/16 v23 sp1 is that the newest official non beta firmware ?

thanks
pete
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
this has been explained a thousands of times. the model specific binaries are not different. just a few bytes in the binary header are different for tftp flashing. normally you will never need it. just use generic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will pipe up and note that the model specific ones, although documented to be used for TFTP, are rejected at least by the WRT54G/GS v5-v6 /w WAP54Gv3 CFE. I've verified this at least 10 times, and I've accidentally tried to TFTP the model specific version countless times. The extra header (32 bytes) causes it to simply be rejected by the CFE and not flashed.

This could be a pecularity of the WAP54Gv3 CFE.. as the OpenWrt firmware images are rejected as well for this same reason. When the first 32 bytes is clipped off, they do ok..
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
the wap cfe just takes raw trx headers like the generic ones

Navigation

Jump to: