DD-WRT Newbie Question.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 15:53    Post subject: DD-WRT Newbie Question..... Reply with quote
I am new to the fourm and I have a couple questions.
I dont really need someone to write the whole answers. I just need to know if it can be done .... so here we go. I have a wrt54g v.3 linksys with dd-wrt upgrade. with Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) micro

The question is this

I am in a motorhome and i travel alot and want to know when i pull in to a trailer part and they have wireless.... Is there a way to configure my linksys to rebroad cast the single? Some times there signal is a little week and it will go in and out. I thought if i had a way to hook my linksys to any router it will stay with a strong signal and i can use my router for the wireless connection.

I am just looking for a stonger signal at my trailer.

Thanks for all the help

all feed back would be nice to figure this out
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, you can repeater or repeater bridge a signal from another. May need to upgrade your build, that one is pretty old, is explained in the announcements at the top of the broadcom forum. Guide on linking routers is in my sig, and of course in the way of getting better signal, i would advise either some sort of directional or even good omni antennas for the task (can be found fairly cheap @ somewhere like ebay), or move closer to the the signal in question.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Yes, you can repeater or repeater bridge a signal from another. May need to upgrade your build, that one is pretty old, is explained in the announcements at the top of the broadcom forum. Guide on linking routers is in my sig, and of course in the way of getting better signal, i would advise either some sort of directional or even good omni antennas for the task (can be found fairly cheap @ somewhere like ebay), or move closer to the the signal in question.

What build do u think I should upgrade to?
The antennas will be my next step...... What kind should I use? Got a link?
What should I make my router.. repeater or bridge repeater?

Thanks for all the help buddee

Chris
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
The announcements at the top of the forum explain the build part, i recommend you read them, last i knew it was 14929.

As far as what mode you should choose, click the link in my sig called linking router, for most times in scenario like what you are explaining, i'd choose to run it as a repeater, not repeater bridge.

And no link on the antenna upgrade, as i said, i would just hit somewhere like ebay, do a search on wireless antennas, and then go from there. a yagi would be good if you need directional.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
you say 14929 is the build i need for my 56g ver 3.0 but i see 13064 ver is the latest... which one is it? where do i find 14929 if this is right?
what link is it ... that talks about the announcemet at the top of the forum.... "broadcom SoC based Hardware" or what one?
where do i find how to set up this router for my useage?
is there a youtube? i have looked up a few but it always talks about setting up the #1 router then my router.... i dont understand how i set up the #1 router when it is not mine.....
I am just trying to get on the right track and do it right with with out searching all the stuff that might not be what i need

thanks for all the help

chris
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to slow down and read the announcements more carefully... You are going to have to research, and probably will end up reading alot of info that isn't relative to your immediate situation, but it all fits together, so read them all carefully. Not doing this will end up with you doing something you don't really want to happen, so like i said, read them carefully. See the links in my sig? good reference points. all the info is around, wether you are willing to read and understand it is a different story...

100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
You need to slow down and read the announcements more carefully... You are going to have to research, and probably will end up reading alot of info that isn't relative to your immediate situation, but it all fits together, so read them all carefully. Not doing this will end up with you doing something you don't really want to happen, so like i said, read them carefully. See the links in my sig? good reference points. all the info is around, wether you are willing to read and understand it is a different story...

Ok I finally got home with HIghspeed internet ..

this allows me to veiw the forum much faster
I loaded Firmware
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini
(SVN revision 14929)

On my router... what is the next step I need to do?

Thanks so much for all the help

Chris
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Guide on linking routers is in my sig

Click on the link and read about repeater and/or repeater bridge.

100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I went through the info ho how to
"Guide on linking routers is in my sig

Click on the link and read about repeater and/or repeater bridge."

When I connect to the router I connects. But does not have internet.

I did notice one thing

In the set up on the screen shot it shows 100Million but in bottom right corner of screen shot it shows 100Million1.

Richerossa is my normal router with internet.

What is the next step i messed so i can get internet and not just network

Thanks for all the help

Chris

my router.jpg
 Description:
screen shot of my wrt56 running in dd-wrt
 Filesize:  103.42 KB
 Viewed:  10660 Time(s)

my router.jpg

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure you carefully read the guide (whichever guide you used because you didn't say whether you used repeater or repeater bridge) and followed it step by step? i would suggest a reset to defaults and re-try after reading the guide more closely and following it step by step.

100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used this thread

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater
if you look at my spec it says Repeater.

I follow step by step.... But I have
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini

Time: 00:10:17 up 10 min, load average: 0.20, 0.14, 0.09

WAN IP: 0.0.0.0

It say Quad 0 ... I tried to reload the page but nothing... I shows up in the nerwork and it hooks up with PW but no internet..... Where am I going wrong....?

thanks

Chris
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes i seen the pic perfectly fine, but you say you set it up as a repeater, which is making me ponder why the LAN address is 192.168.1.2 - which is more for a repeater bridge setup, when you use the repeater guide it would have had you set the LAN in another subnet, such as 192.168.2.1 - which is why i keep saying/wondering, are you following the guide step by step? By your settings in the pic, you aren't... unless the main AP you are trying to link to is in a 192.168.0.1 subnet, and even then yours would be 192.168.1.1 not .2 - like i said, read the guide CAREFULLY and re-try.

100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
well here we go again Smile

I have read this very good of what i think Sad Laughing

I just can't get a wan ip from my main router.

What am i missing Sad
It looks like it is on the side of Tx because you see errors. And the Rx is zero errors.

Router Name 100Million

Router Model Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS

LAN MAC 00:13:10:9F:CA:41
WAN MAC 00:13:10:9F:CA:43
Wireless MAC 00:13:10:9F:CA:43
WAN IP 0.0.0.0
LAN IP 192.168.2.1

Radio Radio is On
Mode Repeater
Network Mixed
SSID Richerossa
Channel 6
TX Power 100 mW
Rate 54 Mbps
Received (RX)
1426 OK, no error
Transmitted (TX)
2214 OK, 17 errors
100Million
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still looking for answers....

anyone got any ideas of waht i am doing wrong?

Chris
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
just wondering-does the mac address printed on the bottom of your router match the one in your info page?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: