SSH remote access with guest (non-root) account and P/P Keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
chopel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 16:50    Post subject: SSH remote access with guest (non-root) account and P/P Keys Reply with quote
Hi all,
First of all, thanks for this excelent firmware!
Second, my issue. I did search the forum for this issue with no luck. While there were some posts, none of them had a clear solution. I hope I can wrap up all my findings with this.

Objective: The idea is to tunnel traffic through my home connection when surfing in public hotspots and share this with relatives and friends.

Status: I'm trying to create a guest account to login remotely using SSH to my router using public/private keys (not password authentication - to be 99% sure it is secure). However, I don't want people logging in to my router's shell with full root rights. This is the reason for creating a guest account to access via ssh and tunnel its traffic.

Specs: I'm using linskys WRT54G2 v1, running dd-wrt v24sp2 (02/02/09) micro plus ssh (I don't think I can push it any more, can I?)

Context: I'm currently able to login remotely to the router and tunnel traffic through it. Both via password and Public/Private keys using the root user. No luck with my custom created guest user.
I'm not an expert neither in Linux/Unix nor DD-WRT, but I think I managed to create the guest account: I can both telnet and password-login remotely via ssh with guest account. I attached this code to the startup scripts to avoid losing it after rebooting the router:
Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/guest
chmod 777 /tmp/guest
chmod 755 /tmp/etc/
echo -e "guest:x:1:guest" >> /tmp/etc/group
echo -e "guest:[backslashed_encrypted_password]:1:1:Guest User,,,:/tmp/guest:/bin/sh" >> /tmp/etc/passwd

I'm not 100% sure of all the variables involved there, but I think I understand most of it. The part I don't understand is why guest is repeated so many times and there's a "Guest User" part I don't completely get what role it plays.

Problem: When I try to log in remotely with public/private keys with my newly created GUEST user, putty outputs:"server refused our key".
I'm obviously using the same key I use for root. I'm using "guest" as the user.
After that, I tried attaching to the previous startup code the following lines to copy root's keys into guest's keys:
Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/guest/.ssh
cp /tmp/root/.ssh/* /tmp/guest/.ssh/

However, the problem persists after adding those lines and rebooting.

Questions:
1) Is this a reasonable way to achieve my objective?
2) Can anyone provide some help with my current problem?
3) Suggestions on workarounds/alternatives?

Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks a lot
Chopel
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
workaround:

dump this piece of bullshit hw and buy a new router capable of openvpn and u will be happy ever after...

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks dude. I just needed someone to tell me that... but after so much effort I just couldn't ask! Maybe I was doing a cumbersome & complicated thing that had another easy solution. You provided one.
chopel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't there a way to convert the router into a "proxy" server? I seems to be exactly what I need but without the encryption that I might be able to handle with https... On the other hand, openvpn doesn't seem an elegant solution. I think it would be more complicated to implement and client-side configuration much more complicated if I'm not mistaken... (am I?)

Does the mega build allow you to authenticate with different users?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: