How to install DD-WRT on unsupported RE1000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ElPaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 20:54    Post subject: How to install DD-WRT on unsupported RE1000 Reply with quote
These are my preliminary findings about flashing DD-WRT on Linksys RE1000.

Linksys RE1000 is NOT E1000 (though it seems to share some characteristics with E1000v2 & E1000v2.1). Linksys RE1000 is currently unsupported by DD-WRT, it is marketed as a "Range-extender plus ethernet-to-wifi bridge". It has only one wired ethernet port.

FCCID: Q87-RE1000

http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_RE1000

In case you want to see some pictures click here (in Spanish):

http://www.redeszone.net/puntos-de-acceso-ap/cisco-linksys-re1000-analisis-de-este-repetidor-wi-fi-n-a-300mbps-con-puerto-ethernet-a-100mbps/

CPU: BCM5357B0KFBG
1 x physical wired Ethernet port.
WiFi N (2.4GHz)
4 Mb flash
32 Mb RAM

1) How to enter Linksys Management Mode

You have to press the RESET button before powering-up the device, then hold the button during 30 seconds.

After that, configure your network card to 192.168.1.X and via the wired ethernet port you may browse 192.168.1.1.

You will be offered three options: FW upgrade, Reboot and Reset NVRAM to default values.

You should use this method to reset NVRAM to default values after every FW flashing. Then reboot.

2) How to kill RE1000 stock firmware

In order to DD-WRT .bin build to be accepted by this device for the first time you have to use any hex editor and change the first 4 bytes of the .bin file to "RE1K".

(I tried this with stock firmware version 1.0.02.001).

Then you may use the FW upgrade option of the stock firmware or the FW upgrade option of the Linksys Management mode (see 1 above) to flash the chosen build.

Do not forget to reset NVRAM to default values (see 1) in either case.

3) How to flash DD-WRT (overwrite another DD-WRT build)

You may change the first 4 bytes as explained in 2 above, then use Linksys Managemente mode OR...

Just use DD-WRT web GUI to upload a new .bin build, without changes.

Then reset NVRAM to default values (see 1).

4) Does DD-WRT work on this device?

Apparently, yes, but...

I tried several builds: 16964, 16968, 17201 & 18946.

In all of them, after flashing/NVRAM reset you can connect to wifi AP ssid:dd-wrt, and browse the web GUI wirelessly.

However I found that in most cases the wired ethernet port does not work (does not reply to pings), except with build 16964.

Additionally, you can make the wired ethernet port work with build 16968 by setting WAN Connection Type to "Disabled" and checking "Assign WAN Port to Switch" under Basic Setup in the web GUI. Then click on "Save" and "Apply Changes".

This does not work with builds 17201 or 18946. With these builds I have only been able to access the device wirelessly.

(credit to rizla7, see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=154741)

5) Other findings

* It seems that the only physical ethernet port available is number 2 for nvram set vlanXports commands.

* With build 16964 (the one that seems to work out-of-the-box) the frontal Cisco logo is lit all the time. It blinks for a while after rebooting but then it remains off with other builds.

And I got no further, for the moment. I do not know what characteristics of DD-WRT work or not, and I am afraid my networking knowledge is extremely basic.

I would like to configure it as an ethernet-to-wifi bridge (without range extender), but, as basic as it sounds, I do not know how to do it.

If someone is interested and needs some dumps or run any test in order to help supporting this device, just let me know.
Sponsor
ElPaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now I followed the wiki tutorial to set up RE1000 as a Client Bridge with build 16964, and it worked.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
rizla7
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
good job, and glad you got it working.

you're much too modest, you deserve all the credit ;p

however, it might have been simpler buying a router for 30$.

not sure how keen the dd-wrt team would be in support these sorts of devices, but i suppose you'd have to wait for that support, probably not top of the list hehe.

although, you learned something about linux, networking and busybox in the process. i suppose that's a bonus? :)
ElPaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a good reason to buy this device instead of another model: form factor.

RE1000 has a built-in AC adapter, it is small, and the wall plug is optionally incorporated in the case (i.e. no power cord needed).

I think they are great to have a swarm of them to build a WDS without power cords or wall mountings (drillings, etc).
leo_ck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow! This is incredible! Thanks! I'll also go ahead and try this out on my RE1000 as well! I'll inform u if I discover anything as well Razz
ElPaco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Leo, did you work it out? How was it? Any findings of interest so far?
Dr Strangelove
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I attempted to configure the RE1000 with DD-WRT and run it as a range extender. As per Linksys RE1000 original design.

WiFi - RE1000 - WiFi - Primary Router - Internet

I believe this is called 'Repeater Bridge' in DD_WRT.

I can't seem to get it to work.

I used 16964 build on the RE1000 and TomatoUSB on the Linksys E4200 router

Last edited by Dr Strangelove on Sun Jun 17, 2012 16:02; edited 1 time in total
Dr Strangelove
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
And now the interesting part.

Is there a way to revert to the original Linksys firmware for the Linksys RE1000?

Answer:

Before powering on the Linksys RE1000 hold down the reset button. Continue to hold the reset button down for 30sec after powering on the device. The Cisco logo on the front face will flash.
Connect using 192.168.1.1 and a firmware upgrade menu is displayed. Enter the relevant Linksys RE1000 firmware and on completion the Linksys RE1000 will reboot. Original firmware recovered.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone got WDS with WPK2 personal / AES working on any build ?

Cheers
Chris
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had a play with WDS on one of these and could not get it to talk to an existing mesh of E3200s.

The RE100 will show as on line on one of the E3200s but not on the other E3200 and will not show any connection to either E3200 from the RE100 GUI.

I have another two to play with, but I am not keen to open them as I will send them back if I can not get them working with WDS.

Have I missed something, or is this a lost cause....for the time being ?

I would like to see this work as the wall plug WDS repeater has appeal

Thanks (in advance) for the replys

Cheers
Chris
cs2400
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
im going to give mine a whirl hopefully today and will let everyone know how i make out. im looking to use the re1000 as it is stock as a bridge/extender piggybacking off my e2500 running dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2500.
Dr Strangelove
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
cs2400 wrote:
im going to give mine a whirl hopefully today and will let everyone know how i make out. im looking to use the re1000 as it is stock as a bridge/extender piggybacking off my e2500 running dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e2500.

So, how was that for you?

This is what I was attempting, but never managed it.
cs2400
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
unfortunately i havent had a chance to flash it yet, i kinda bricked by e2500 last week and just got it back up running a few days ago, but i have to say even with the current stock firmware on the RE1000 i have seen major improvements to coverage and throughput. I'm thinking i should be able to flash it Saturday morning and will post an update.

RE100 v1.0 - Stock v.1.0.02.001
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
WARNING !!!!

Well I managed to kill an entire voice network with my RE1000.

Using the more recent of the two special builds (16964 ?)that are proported to work with it, I decided to use it as a simple DD-WRT wired access point.

After 10-15 minutes the network slowed down and eventually devices could not see each other across the ports on the Cisco 3750-24PS-S switch I think it has IOS 12.4 from memory.

Unplugged it an it all came back to life...instamtly ! I tried it again and got the same result. I couldn't debug as it was a live system and I did have phones connected to the switch. But it did lock up both the voice and data VLANs

It is now sitting in my box of things to look at one day. I have two brand new untis still in the plastic wrapped boxes I will try to send back if we cant get anywhere.

Cheers
Chris
party64n
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got a RE1000 to try and use it to get better reception for a hotspot. I cant use it as I intended though because it copys the SSID and I cant password it to keep 100+ people trying to access it. I tryed to use 17201 and 18777 to flash it. I did the hex edit and when it says its uploading and stops at a certain percent than says it failed. The other thing I noticed is that my RE1000 does not have a power button like the pictures I have been seeing. It has the same model number and same FCC number. I have been using Neo hex editor. I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. Also if someone can point me to a firmware they used for this to download.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: