WDS watchdog / keepalive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
JofCore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 23:34    Post subject: WDS watchdog / keepalive Reply with quote
Just wondering what the WDS Watchdog / Keepalive setting / service does?

I'm wondering because occasionally when I reboot one of my WDS routers (the host), the WDS link won't come back up until I reboot the other as well (client). Right now, they're both close by so it's not a problem, but eventually when they're a little further apart it might be annoying to have to pull the plug to power cycle them if I can't reach them over the WDS link.

So anyway, I'm wondering what that WDS watchdog service does? I looked in the Wiki and searched, but haven't been able to find anything explaining what it does or what info I should put in the IP field if I choose to enable it.

So if someone could clear that up (or point me to a link that explains it), that would be great!

Thanx!

edit: both routers are WRT54GL v1.1, running 12548M NEWD Eko, btw Smile
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Keepalive options are ways to reboot the router when there's no connection. Proxy/Connection Watchdog will try to access a proxy and reboot if it can't connect, WDS/Connection Watchdog will ping(?) an IP and reboot if it doesn't get a reply. You can put any IP that you would expect the device to have access to such as the gateway for your network.
JofCore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
The Keepalive options are ways to reboot the router when there's no connection. Proxy/Connection Watchdog will try to access a proxy and reboot if it can't connect, WDS/Connection Watchdog will ping(?) an IP and reboot if it doesn't get a reply. You can put any IP that you would expect the device to have access to such as the gateway for your network.

Great, thanks for the explanation!
ryandigweed0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got this Watchdog enabled, and i've put the Ip of google in the box.

The Damn thing reboots my router every 5 minutes. Neutral Regardless if it can connect or not.

If i disable this option, my router would remain on for hours.

Any way to solve that? I really want my router to reboot itself, (ONLY WHEN THERES NO CONNECTIVITY)

I fear im doing something wrong here since WDS should work on all routers. I've upgraded to the latest build for DIR-300 from the version 23
jopplehead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ryandigweed0

It's not you. I have the same exact problem when trying to use the keep alive pinging 4.2.2.2 . I really need this feature to work and have tried multiple ip's without success. It always reboots after performing a ping. Is there an alterantive cron script anyone? Please?
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
jopplehead wrote:
@ryandigweed0

It's not you. I have the same exact problem when trying to use the keep alive pinging 4.2.2.2 . I really need this feature to work and have tried multiple ip's without success. It always reboots after performing a ping. Is there an alterantive cron script anyone? Please?

It works for me, as advertised. You can place up to three addresses (separated by spaces) in the field. Only numerical addresses, not name.com

Make certain that the pings work using an external test. Some addresses don't respond to pings.
jopplehead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Happy Thanks VERY much for the reply.

Unfortunately this still does not work for me. I have tried multiple dd-wrt builds on this router and the keep alive does not work properly. It always reboots at the time interval where it checks connectivity. I know the IP's I am supply are good. They are known DNS IP's 4.2.2.2 8.8.8.8 and my router gateway IP. These all ping fine thru command prompt and my internet is working fine at the time the router reboots. I have enabled Cron.

Here is some info about my setup:

I am running Client Bridge setup by guide exactly on dd-wrt.

Build: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro - build 14929

Router: Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444

I am thinking it is a bug with this particular router or perhaps micro builds? Anyway... Is there are alternative script job that will do the same thing or do you have any other ideas?

TIA!
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
jopplehead wrote:
:D
Here is some info about my setup:

I am running Client Bridge setup by guide exactly on dd-wrt.

Build: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro - build 14929

Router: Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444

I am thinking it is a bug with this particular router or perhaps micro builds? Anyway... Is there are alternative script job that will do the same thing or do you have any other ideas?

TIA!

From your description it appears that you are running "keep alive" on the client bridge router. That machine only needs to keep its connection to the host router. Any chance of running this on the host router?
And you are right, perhaps there is something specific about this router and the older build. You could try a newer experimental build. I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) (SVN revision 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko) in an Asus RT-N12. But I can't get this version to function correctly as a repeater, only as the host machine. Sorry not to be of more help.
jopplehead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the help. I may try a newer experimental build. Have a good day.
bye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33    Post subject: where do i have to use it. Reply with quote
I have this.

1. A main router.
2. A client router getting signal from the main router.
3. An other Router getting signal from the client router via one Cable.

Where do I need to use the WDS/Connection Watchdog ??

In the Client router o in the router getting signal from the client router via cable.??

Thanks.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
This feature is for maintaining a wireless connection.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
bye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:15    Post subject: Ofcourse Reply with quote
I know that. And I read a lot.

What I need is a solution.

IF YOU CAN.

Administration – Keep Alive

There may be times that you need to reboot your router on a periodic basis to clear memory and to improve the flow of either broadband data to the WAN and/or wireless data within your WiFi network.

You have the option to schedule a periodic router reboot on this screen. Note though that you must have the Cron option enabled on the previous Administration Management screen. Cron is a job scheduler built in to the firmware which allows periodic jobs to be executed at certain times of the day.

The Proxy/Connection Watchdog and WDS/Connection Watchdog are options for you to specify loss-of-connection options for when your router should reboot instead of a specified time.

The Proxy-Connection option allows you to enter a proxy that the router should check the connection against. If it cannot connect then the router automatically reboots itself.

The WDS-Connection option allows you to specify remote IP addresses that the router should check connection with. Again, the router reboots itself if a connection cannot be established. Note, these need to be IP addresses and not domain names.

Bye
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 15:52    Post subject: Re: Ofcourse Reply with quote
bye wrote:

What I need is a solution.

You haven't stated a problem. Or anywhere near sufficient information.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
bye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:25    Post subject: This is my problem Reply with quote
Read carefully what I Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 am Post subject: where do i have to use it.

In router 1 or in router 2 or in router 3. ?????

Bye.
h-cross
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27    Post subject: Re: This is my problem Reply with quote
bye wrote:
Read carefully what I Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 am Post subject: where do i have to use it.

In router 1 or in router 2 or in router 3. ?????

Bye.

In router 2, because of the wireless connection between the main router. It's good from time to time to reboot it.

If I was you, I would reboot all of them once a day.

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: