Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Revenent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
tkoyn wrote:
Why don't they go to the full 128k maximum available?

Maybe it is sort of like SSD where they use part of the chip as replacement cells for the other part, increasing the lifetime of the flash memory.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

They can update the CFE in a few different ways:

By using update routines in the CFE, the tftp update routines can distinguish between a header for firmware update and a header for boot loader update.
Asus does also have a http updater in their CFE which can do the same - I don't know if it serves a web page (recovery gui) or if it is only for communication with the Asus Recovery Tool.

It is also possible to have support for updating any mtd partition via the Administration/Update routines of a router firmware and Asus may have that.
This type of update, if supported in their firmware, can be done by any customer regardless of their skill level.

Your knowledge of electronics exceeds that of anyone else, even Asus's....

Why aren't you working for them, or some other reputable company?

- Just sayin... Very Happy

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Masterman wrote:
LOM wrote:

They can update the CFE in a few different ways:

By using update routines in the CFE, the tftp update routines can distinguish between a header for firmware update and a header for boot loader update.
Asus does also have a http updater in their CFE which can do the same - I don't know if it serves a web page (recovery gui) or if it is only for communication with the Asus Recovery Tool.

It is also possible to have support for updating any mtd partition via the Administration/Update routines of a router firmware and Asus may have that.
This type of update, if supported in their firmware, can be done by any customer regardless of their skill level.

Your knowledge of electronics exceeds that of anyone else, even Asus's....

Why aren't you working for them, or some other reputable company?

- Just sayin... Very Happy

10-4 on LOM is Da Man! He has bailed me out more than once..

atm I can't remember exactly which router(s).. Possibly Netgear and / or Belkin..

A new cfe was included in the oem firmware flash. I know this because it has been discussed and in repairing them, I had to strip out the 1st 256k of the oem bin.. all the way up to HDR0. The 1st 256k was the cfe.

The point.. it is certainly do-able.. Once the nvram update happens.. dd-wrt support for the router will have to be re-written..

I might also suggest this thread is closed and a new rt-n66u thread started.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can i use Asus Recovery Tool to flash DDWRT? Is it possible?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:

why? the dd-wrt trailed file for this router is meant to flash via the asus gui.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:

why? the dd-wrt trailed file for this router is meant to flash via the asus gui.

It shows the progress. I tried via gui. No effect.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:
barryware wrote:
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:

It shows the progress. I tried via gui. No effect.

then.. you either have a browser issue (clear cache & cookies, or us a diff browser, I use IE), or you are not flashing the right build..

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:

There have been special instructions in this thread on how to flash dd-wrt to the asus N66U.. There is a KNOWN problem with nvram and you have to use their cd to break into the CFE and clear NVRAM after a flash otherwise you get will get nothing.

-Fractal
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
There is a KNOWN problem with nvram and you have to use their cd to break into the CFE and clear NVRAM after a flash otherwise you get will get nothing.

-Fractal

Does that happen 100% of the time? I had no problem..

I also went back to stock by just renaming the trx to bin.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just so you know, the Tomato firmware has NO problems installing on this router, and works very well. I use the Shibby Tomato firmware.

Blaming the router for problems with DD-WRT is not right.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
tcool93 wrote:
Just so you know, the Tomato firmware has NO problems installing on this router, and works very well. I use the Shibby Tomato firmware.

Wow,

I would image if you read the 30 pages of this thread you would understand alot more than just flashing the router. If tomato works great for your installation then by all means that is the route to take.

I think this thread is about to come to a close anyway, as asus has admitted that 32k nvram is just not enough and that something is suppose to happen from them in june.

No one ever said dd-wrt or tomatoe didnt work, it is just more complicated to get 3rd party firmware on it.

Last: More nvram is always better no matter which router you choose.

-Fractal
mstombs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually Tomato doesn't work on the RT-N66U right now - there's an obscure bug in script command argument passing that only affects this router - that has the devs scratching their heads...
SHKaminski
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
Actually Tomato doesn't work on the RT-N66U right now - there's an obscure bug in script command argument passing that only affects this router - that has the devs scratching their heads...

Tomato Shibby is working for me (1.28 AIO). Couldn't get DD-WRT to load any other than mini, even after following the instructions.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
tcool93 wrote:

Having the nvram occupied to near the limit in the stock build is a problem even if the problem doesn't currently show up.
It doesn't need more than an additional function or two in the router, functions storing their settings in nvram, before it shows up also on stock firmware.

I guess from your post that it annoys you a bit that Asus is listening and reacting to input from the dd-wrt user community?
If so, then the missing link is here:

http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_DD-WRT/index.htm

and Tomato will of course also be able to take advantage of the the increased nvram amount that dd-wrt users has convinced Asus to implement. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well If Asus is reading this thread... I hope they fix the NAT problem. Now a lot of webpages cant display properly. Cant load CSS files or JS for some reason. JensenScandinavia got this fixed months ago with a firmware update, but Asus dont even respond to e-mails.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 34 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: