Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
FlyingToaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 18:19    Post subject: Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U Reply with quote
I recently bought an Asus RT-N66U router. The DD-WRT database says this router is supported, but I already bricked one of these after trying to flash DD-WRT onto it (using the same basic procedure I've used before for flashing DD-WRT on other routers). Is there a guide for flashing DD-WRT onto this model? I've seen guides for others.
Sponsor
rocky13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:11    Post subject: Re: Flashing DD-WRT onto Asus RT-N66U Reply with quote
FlyingToaster wrote:
I recently bought an Asus RT-N66U router. The DD-WRT database says this router is supported, but I already bricked one of these after trying to flash DD-WRT onto it (using the same basic procedure I've used before for flashing DD-WRT on other routers). Is there a guide for flashing DD-WRT onto this model? I've seen guides for others.

Follow these steps carefully and you should have no issue’s completing this.

- Set your NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Access the router’s built in recovery mode by issuing 192.168.1.1 in browser field.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_mini build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes.

- Put router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button while powering up the router, wait until the power led is blinking slowly, then release the reset button.

- Flash DD-WRT build (e.g.) Asus-RT-N66U_18777_big build and upload. When completed wait at least 10 minutes

- Select Reset NVRAM defaults when it completes (should be quick), in the browser field, type in http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit. When done press enter. When complete select reboot and wait 5-10 minutes for the router to reboot and start building its layers.

- Now you should be able to access via web gui 192.168.1.1 and it should be DD-WRT.
Coarch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 0:03    Post subject: Easy Reply with quote
Thanks for this outline. Loading DD-WRT on my router was easy.
ryugen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
for me too ;D

Problem is just that i can only use the 2,4 GHz Radio so far.

How about you? Any clues?
rafatutihashi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 14:46    Post subject: WAN port Reply with quote
I've flashed my router the way it was told in the forum, but my wan port is no working.
I tried to use automatic DHCP as I used to do on my older router and it doesn't work. I also tried static IP, but again it doesn't work.

So I flhased the router to its original firmware and the port works fine. Then I flashed againg to DDWRT as told in this forum, but I got the same problem with my wan port

Any clues?

Tks,
Rafa
rocky13
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
use build 18946, it fixes the WAN port issue.
rafatutihashi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where can i find the firmware to download?
Do i need to restore the factory firmware and start it all over again? or can i just upgrade the firmware i'm using (18702)?
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:32; edited 2 times in total
inf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried to flash DD-WRT yesterday.

I think i did something totally wrong...it seems that the box is now in somekind strange status. The power light is on but it doesn't even try to get connection from WAN

I used the instruction on the wiki http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U
inf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok got DD-WRT flashed with the asus recovery tool.

But I can't get the box to connect to WAN. WAN gets no ip at all. I flashed the build mentioned on the wiki pages (18946 BIG). What is the difference with big and mega?

I'll test with the 19xx build
inf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well i got it working with the 19xx build from BS
petrpastor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

Just got mine 66u today. found

a bit hard work to get dd-wrt work.

From experience 10 minutes waiting is bit exadurated more like 3 to 5 minutes.

what is most important is the command:

http://192.168.1.1/do.htm?cmd=nvram+commit

without applying this one ddwrt does not boot.

one thing I found when using Asus's firmware recovery tool - if you have wireless card turned on on your laptop the tool would not connect to router (gets confused by two lan interfaces). works when you turn wifi card off.

Petr
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
rafatutihashi wrote:
Where can i find the firmware to download?
Do i need to restore the factory firmware and start it all over again? or can i just upgrade the firmware i'm using (18702)?

I believe if you are already on dd-wrt you can flash the big build.
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn18946/dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

Can anyone else confirm that this build is free of problems?

adamchal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35    Post subject: Cannot install DD-WRT Reply with quote
I've killed about 4 hours trying to get DD-WRT installed on my Asus RT-N66U. I've followed all of the steps in this post, but I cannot get any version (tried 18702, 18946, 19342, 19519) of DD-WRT to boot (mini, big, mega, etc.). I tried using the web gui and the utility with each version.

I use a static IP configuration on my desktop the entire time.

I'm able to flash the original Asus firmware back onto the device and that works.

Once I upload a DD-WRT through the web guy or utility, I wait 10 minutes, restart it in recovery mode, successfully reset NVRAM, then reboot. The device boots, both wireless LEDs go solid, but I can never ping 192.168.1.1 or access it via the browser.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on here?
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I understand it, there is a not enough NVRAM allocated for this dual band radio. 64kb is needed and only 32kb is allocated. That being said, modded firmware that overcomes this problem is here:

http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

I am hoping that someone will tell me I'm wrong and that this problem has been overcome.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 10
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: