fonera as Repeater and AP (Range Expander)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ansanto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 15:24    Post subject: fonera as Repeater and AP (Range Expander) Reply with quote
Hi everybody, here www.blogin.it/fonera4.php I put a script that transforms La Fonera (with it's original firmware) as a repeater and access point, functionality also known as Range Expander.
I hope it will be usefull for you, enjoy it and improve my script.
(sorry for my poor english)

--
ansanto
Sponsor
pier11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi ansanto,

That's very interesting reading to me. Do you know any resources describing repeater set up for openwrt? I can not find any well described repeater configuration.

Thank you.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
A good howto is here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFonera_Software_Universal-Repeater
it requires DD-WRT v24.
ciao

__
Antonio
inn0c3nt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
the universal repeater doesn't work for FON as it does not have that option under the wireless mode tab
ansanto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
so there is no way to run Fonera as repeater by any frmware ? (execpting bash scripts like ponte2)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is...i did it with this setup.

Fon Router:
Wireless page set the mode to client... and the ssid to that of the main router... then click add virtual ssid and set that to anything you want.
Under wireless security have it mimic your main router for the physical device...
Under security tab disable firewall for fon router...

Then under basic setup tab, i have dhcp for internet connection type.. under the routers ip for me my main routers ip is (10.10.10.11) on my fon router i set it to (10.10.11.11) same last octect but different 3rd octect.. i don't know how this matters as yet... then i use the same subnet mask..

Save everything as i go along... if you get disconnected for any reason you can set you main nic card to a static ip, and connect to the fon router through the rj cable.. and continue working... but after you've done all that the fon router will grab an ip from the main router then it will start broadcasting it's ssid...

I have not been able to get the main fon port to act as a normal port with this setup... if you know how or anyone else please let me know :)

Hope this helps you
novaflare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Re: fonera as Repeater and AP (Range Expander) Reply with quote
ansanto wrote:
Hi everybody, here www.blogin.it/fonera4.php I put a script that transforms La Fonera (with it's original firmware) as a repeater and access point, functionality also known as Range Expander.
I hope it will be usefull for you, enjoy it and improve my script.
(sorry for my poor english)

--
ansanto

Lol man your english is fine and i dont care if it totaly sucked soon as i seen repeater aka range expander thats more than enough english for me to jump up and down Smile
novaflare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
you have some bug in the ponte2 script. Chmodded it correctly but its telling me not found on ./ponte2
ansanto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is related to "not found"? maybe the file /etc/ponte2.conf ?
Remenber that the command
Code:
./ponte2

must be used from the same directory where both ponte2 and ponte2.conf are located (tipically fonera's /etc).
...tell me more, I dont have no sgnalling from users about the error "not found"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
ansanto wrote:
What is related to "not found"? maybe the file /etc/ponte2.conf ?
Remenber that the command
Code:
./ponte2

must be used from the same directory where both ponte2 and ponte2.conf are located (tipically fonera's /etc).
...tell me more, I dont have no sgnalling from users about the error "not found"

Ponte2 and onte2 conf in etc directory. Ran ./ponte2 came up stateing ponte2 was not found. Right now ponte is running on it though.
ansanto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
now the script permits a bridge between ath0 and eth1 and brings up a third virtual AP (ath2) in monitor mode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
ansanto wrote:
now the script permits a bridge between ath0 and eth1 and brings up a third virtual AP (ath2) in monitor mode.

Got my FON r2 today, unlocked SSH permanently. Installed Ponte2 from your site (today's version), but I just don't know how to configure it properly: I go to the Ponte2 configuration webpage, tried every configuration, but I can't extend my primary network, nor enter the status page, or monitor page, or acess FON by ethernet, once I put the script running. After this I have to cut power from FON to reboot it...
Can you help me to configure it properly?

HOST AP:
DHCP: 192.168.200.1-100
SSID: "CASA-FASC"
Open network (even turned off MAC control)

Can you give me step by step configuration? I just can't get it working! Confused

Thanks!
Filipe
alf92
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
inn0c3nt wrote:
there is...i did it with this setup.

Fon Router:
Wireless page set the mode to client... and the ssid to that of the main router... then click add virtual ssid and set that to anything you want.
Under wireless security have it mimic your main router for the physical device...
Under security tab disable firewall for fon router...

Then under basic setup tab, i have dhcp for internet connection type.. under the routers ip for me my main routers ip is (10.10.10.11) on my fon router i set it to (10.10.11.11) same last octect but different 3rd octect.. i don't know how this matters as yet... then i use the same subnet mask..

Save everything as i go along... if you get disconnected for any reason you can set you main nic card to a static ip, and connect to the fon router through the rj cable.. and continue working... but after you've done all that the fon router will grab an ip from the main router then it will start broadcasting it's ssid...

I have not been able to get the main fon port to act as a normal port with this setup... if you know how or anyone else please let me know :)

Hope this helps you

Thanks for this tuto, but I haven't understood all your explanations.
could you be more precise, please ?

(I have DD-WRT V24r323 on my Fonera)
--
Alf92
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: