WRT600N - Bricked - DD-WRT v24sp2 Mega 14929 -► FIXED !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lost-in-space
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29    Post subject: WRT600N - Bricked - DD-WRT v24sp2 Mega 14929 -► FIXED !! Reply with quote
Hello Everyone.

Well, to make a long story short. My budget does not allows me to spend $200.00 for a brand new router. My Linksys WRT54G which has served me flawlessly with the factory firmware but due to my need to upgrade to Gigabit, I need to replace the WRT54G.

I purchased a WRT600N knowing that the unit was a "bricked" unit; bricked while the prior owner tried a firmware upgrade to switch it to DD-WRT. I've researched about 100+ different postings here in the forum and the information has allowed me to access the unit with a CP2102 UART USB Serial link with Windows XP "Terminal" and/or also with "PuTTy".

I have no difficulty getting to the WRT600N "CFE>" prompt and I have been able to get the dead LAN ports (eth0) working so that I can transfer the firmware files from the computer to the Router. I've spent an enormous amount of time trying to get this router working and my brain is about fried; I "NEED" help with this guys.

First.. I know DOS (no good here), Windows (etc.) but I know virtually "NOTHING" about Linux.

1) I'm not sure if the unit I have is a v1.0 or a v1.1 The Serial number is MNR007A0xxxx and unless I am misguided form what I've read, the "MNR0" portion of the serial number tells me that this unit it is a WRT600N "version 1.1". The FCC ID tag shows the unit labeled as a "version 1.0". BUT... Upon further investigation, I have "confirmed" from the Processor numbers that the unit is in reality a "version 1.1". So, as confusing as it may be, the MRNO appears to have been made in both versions 1.0 & 1.1

2) I have no way to know what "firmware" was on this unit when I received it. I only know that it was "bricked". I'm presently just trying to get it working and while you guys might have this process down to a science, the information in all the posts here seem to go in 10 different directions. One guy says/does/recommends this, the next guy says/does recommends that.. "I'm Confused"!!!

3) I've downloaded

WRT600N_1.01.36_build_4_20080514_US.bin (6,573kB)

and I just cannot even get this router to allow me to access a GUI. It's presently in a revolving door reboot and non-operable.

I'd love to get the router usable, and will even go so far as to upgrade it to DD-WRT v24-sp2 if the hardware if I can figure it all out..

Does anyone care to offer a little "step-by-step" walk-through to an old man running low on sleep?

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by lost-in-space on Sun Mar 18, 2012 14:13; edited 11 times in total
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Download proper OEM firmware - there is a Sticky thread in top of this forum section where users has uploaded what they have.
Seems to me that a proper OEM firmware is around 6.5 MB in size and has a .bin extension.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello LOM..

I think the file I downloaded prior was corrupt either in the download or the transfer to hard drive. 2,298kb is just "definitely" not the proper file size.

I'll start with trying to get the OEM firmware installed. I'll just have to be patient.

Thank You
lost-in-space
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded the OEM firmware, loaded the OEM firmware

Here's where I am at.

1) downloaded the WRT600N_1.01.36_build_4_20080514_US.bin (6.573kb)

2) I copied the file to hard drive as "C:\WRT600N.bin"

3) At PuTTy "CFE>" prompt, I type "nvram erase"

4) Windows command window, I ping..
"C:\ping -t 192.168.1.1"
Router responds

5) In another Windows command window
"c:\tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put WRT600N.bin"
DO NOT hit ENTER at this point.

6) Unplug WRT600N power, then plug it back in. Ping response returns, I hit "ENTER" to transfer OEM file
("c:\tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put WRT600N.bin")

7) Window reads "Transfer Successful:6729760bytes in 14 seconds..."

Cool I let the router sit there for 5 minutes while it processes the flash.

9) Unplug Router power and plug it back in and it still does the same thing, boot, reboot, reboot..

Where did I screw up?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
you have serial running.. why try to "catch" the unit at powerup for tftp? Don't worry about pings.. just follow that advice below..

From another post a week or two ago..

barryware wrote:

1st... set a static ip on your pc.. 192.168.1.10, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1. All AV and firewall software disabled. Only the pc is connected to a lan port of the router via cable. No other lan connections.

Get your tftp utility all ready to go so all you have to do is hit the enter key to launch it. Leave the password field empty!

Set it up to flash the stock linksys firmware for your router.

power up the router and stop the boot by banging on ctrl-c as you power it up. You will be at the cfe prompt:

cfe>

now erase nvram:

cfe> nvram erase [enter]

[enter] = hit the enter key Wink

nvram will erase in a second or two.. you will have a command status of zero, and be back at the cfe prompt.

now issue the command:

cfe> flash -ctheader : flash1.trx [enter]

Note the space before and after the colon.

now immediately launch your tftp utility. The firmware will flash. The data transfer happens very fast but the actual process of writing to the flash chip takes some time.

After a bit, you will be back at the cfe prompt:

cfe>

at this point, either type reboot, or power cycle the router. The router will boot 2 times (maybe 3) as it needs to restart as it builds and reads default nvram variables it has written.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
tried twice.. same thing.. router keep cycling in a boot, reboot, reboot, reboot.. keeps rebooting..

1) computer static IP, FireWall OFF
(yes)

2) cfe> nvram erase [enter]
"command status = 0
(yes)

3) cfe> flash -noheader : flash1.trx [enter]

I have/had to use the "cfe> flash -noheader : flash1.trx" since "-ctheader" does not recognize for on this one)
(yes)

4) launch your tftp utility. The firmware will flash
"c:\tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put WRT600N.bin"
(yes)

5) After a bit,...:

Reading :: Done. 6729760 bytes read
Programming...done. 6729760 bytes written
** command status = 0
CFE>

("CFE>" yes, everything going well)

6) at this point, either type reboot, or power cycle the router.
"CFE> reboot"
(yes)

7) The router will boot 2 times (maybe 3) as it needs to restart as it builds and reads default nvram variables it has written.

(No...)

The router reboots, but after 20+ cycles, it just keeps rebooting.

In the router settings eth0 is set up and reads.

Device eth0: hwaddr 00-1D-7E-0D-xx-xx (matches router), ipaddr 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0, gateway not set, nameserver not set.

Do I need to do something with the gateway and the nameserver settings?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
check your power supply.. that router needs every bit of the 2 amp it comes with. if it is weak, the router will reboot everytime the radios get initialized.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I checked the power supply that came with the router. It was labeled "Linksys 12VDC, 500mA".

I've replaced the supply with another which is 12VDC, "3Amp" AC/DC supply that is a spare from a VOIP phone I no longer use. It had the correct plug & polarity so it works great!!

I restarted the router and it has stopped "rebooting" so it does appear that the Linksys supply that I received with the router is/was under- powered causing the reboot.

Presently, the router is sitting in a state where the following lights are lit

Power LED "ON" (green)
LAN 1 LED "ON" (yellow)
LAN 2 LED "off" *
LAN 3 LED "off" *
LAN 4 LED "off" *
Internet LED "off" *
USB LED "off" *
Wireless 2.4Ghz LED "ON" (green)
Wireless 2.4Ghz Security LED "off"
Wireless 5Ghz LED "ON" (green)
Wireless 5Ghz Security LED "off"

* nothing plugged into the router for this port

I checked Putty to see what the router is doing. The router appears to be in a state of

connect: Network is unreachable
Hit enter to continue
Hit enter to continue
Hit enter to continue

But..

1) THE OEM FIRMWARE IS NOW WORKING "AND"
2) I can now access the "GUI"

Woo-Whoo!! "GUI" Heaven!!

I'm going for the "GOLD".. well.. let me see if I can get the WRT600N Flashed up to..

DD-WRT v24sp2 Mega 14929.

lost-in-space
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
WOO-WHOO!!

IT'S... A L I V E !!!

DD-WRT v24sp2 Mega 14929

I flashed the firmware up to DD-WRT v24sp2 Mega 14929. It went like clockwork following the directions from the forum.

Initially, the 5-Gz LED didn't light up but after a few hours. "BOING" there it is!!

Anyone care for coffee??

I couldn't have done it without you guys!!

THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by lost-in-space on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:16; edited 2 times in total
lost-in-space
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
48 Hours later... STILL GOING STRONG!!!!

No "Burps", No "Hiccups" RUNS LIKE A DREAM!!

Next.. I'm thinking VOIP would be nice. I'm reading up on Installing Asterisk. This is all new to me still. I could use some suggestions/assistance if anyone cares to share ideas.

I thought I read somewhere of a WRT54G memory replacement chip the took the WRT54G from 16MB to 32MB. It looks like this one has "two" 16MB chips (2@16MB=32MB). I'll have to check the specification sheets but I'm curious and wonder if I can hop this router up to 64MB RAM (2@32MB=64MB)..

Anyone have any ideas??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: