DD-WRT As A Wi-Fi Radio Repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
littlebuddie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 0:18    Post subject: DD-WRT As A Wi-Fi Radio Repeater Reply with quote
I installed DD-WRT on a WRT54G V.8. Set up as repeater bridge and doubled my signal strength to remote laptop as well as a Livio and a C.Crane Wi-Fi internet radio so I am VERY happy. One small issue is that now that the Livio radio is receiving its signal wirelessly from the Linksys/DD-wrt instead of direct wireless from the modem, it resets its date/time to factory 1/1/2009 12:00 am every time I turn it off. It's supposed to receive current time/date info automatically via internet which it will do effectively if I disconnect Linksys/DD-wrt. But I don't want to do that. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers and
Many Many thanks!!
Sponsor
DtommyD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I'm understanding, it's the radio that's losing the time. I'm confused as to what router it's supposed to be connected to and also if it's wired or not. There is a setting for the time in the router but that's not what your looking for. Does it connect and play once you turn it on? Is there a backup battery that needs replacing. I'd also look at your connection type. Are you using the same channel and password as the first router? Same security? Try it with all the same.
Not sure it has anything to do with the router.
littlebuddie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi DtommyD, thank you for your reply. Prior to using the Linksys/DD-WRT repeater my Livio internet radio received its signal wirelessly from a ClearAccess DSL modem-router. The radio updated its date and time automatically whenever an internet connection was made.

Now that I have incorporated the Linksys/DD-WRT as a repeater, the date and time for the radio does not correct itself and every time I turn it on, it reverts to January 1st, 2009. The radio however functions properly in every other regard.

When I remove the DD-WRT repeater and run the radio wirelessly and directly from the ClearAccess DSL modem-router, date and time function normally.

Does the repeater prevent the radio from a two way 'conversation' when it is trying to update itself via the internet?

Thank You For Your Help!
DtommyD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
While there is a difference in "repeater" and "bridged repeater" I still can't think of a reason it would matter. As long as the radio is independent (not linking/syncing up with your computer for example) and it gets the internet and runs fine then I'm confused. I'd post this on your radio's forum or call tech support. You could also look at running in WDS mode but that gets tricky between 2 different types of routers. Back up your router and play around with a few different setups. Follow a few tutorials.
But again, I'd start with the radio's forum. I'd also take a closer look at the main routers settings and I'd make the sign in and security the same on both routers. (not the ssid name though - only difference)
-- See if there are any firmware updates for your radio or any other updates.
littlebuddie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much again DtommyD for your kind assistance and excellent suggestions. I am not very savvy with this sort of thing and I consider it a miracle that I was able to flash my neutered WRT54G without assistance or bricking it. In fact, I did 3 units w/o any problem. I will try again to contact Livio Radio tech for help but they are not very quick in responding to my inquiry. I didn't expect to receive responses to my question on this forum regarding this off-the-wall subject but I thank you for your help!
DtommyD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a hot tip - Wear a watch and call it a day. Smile

I know far too well how you feel when things are supposed to work, and don't. The good news is it sounds like you found a new hobby.
littlebuddie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing Good advice.......
Thx Buddy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: