Access Restriction - Netflix on Xbox 360

musclecups
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57    Post subject: Access Restriction - Netflix on Xbox 360 Reply with quote
Greetings.

My situation: someone in my house likes to play netflix movies way past a respectable hour (he thinks he falls asleep better). I want to block the streaming to his xbox 360 without also limiting his gameplay (which he does with headphones).

Does anyone know the streaming protocol from the netflix servers or how to go about limiting it just to the MAC address of his xbox?

Thanks!

sleepless far from seattle
Sponsor
Ernest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can either use time based access restrictions by mac address or by IP (if you set a static IP for the xbox in services/services) or shut of the radio at certain times using advanced wireless settings. This would shut down the wireless for everyone.
musclecups
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I am versed in the access restriction protocols - I simply wondered if anyone knew about how to block netflix streaming exclusively (and just on the xbox360 - I already blocked on the PC, which is why he watches it on his xbox).

Also, I want his xbox to work for xbox live (games and such) while not working for netflix. He won't be able to discern the problem, and will simply go to bed.

In short: I am looking to block whatever DNS netflix uses to stream to the xbox 360 (I have determined that it is not netflix.com or any variation thereof).
conjur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is a (partial) list of the servers Netflix uses to stream. Your best bet would be to block the CDN servers..

•netflix.com
•www.netflix.com
•cdn-0.nflximg.com
•cdn.brightedge.com
•signup.netflix.com
•netflix.hs.llnwd.net
•movies.netflix.com
•cdn-1.nflximg.com
•cdn-4.nflximg.com
•cdn-3.nflximg.com
•cdn-6.nflximg.com
•cdn-5.nflximg.com
•cdn-8.nflximg.com
•cdn-7.nflximg.com
•cdn-9.nflximg.com
•cdn-2.nflximg.com
•agmoviecontrol.netflix.com
•agmoviecontrol.cloud.netflix.net
•netflix-932.vo.llnwd.net
musclecups
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the help so far - I have implemented the following list as HTTP request denials to the xbox's MAC. Netflix continues to function normally.

netflix
movielicense.netflix.com
netflix.com
www.netflix.com
cdn-0.nflximg.com
cdn.brightedge.com
signup.netflix.com
netflix.hs.llnwd.net
movies.netflix.com
cdn-1.nflximg.com
cdn-4.nflximg.com
cdn-3.nflximg.com
cdn-6.nflximg.com
cdn-5.nflximg.com
cdn-8.nflximg.com
cdn-7.nflximg.com
cdn-9.nflximg.com
cdn-2.nflximg.com
agmoviecontrol.netflix.com
agmoviecontrol.cloud.netflix.net
netflix-932.vo.llnwd.net
amazon
akamai
level
limelight

What else do you guys think might work?
conjur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to block both ports (80 and 443)... Try changing the Mac to the Mac of one of your computers, and try loading Netflix in a web browser- both use the same protocol; the Xbox just uses a special .xml based API on the same servers..
musclecups
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried it with my computer, and there netflix alone is sufficient to totally block content - I won't even let me search for netflix in any web-based search.

Here's how I have it set up - it seems to me as though I have all the ports accounted for. I also double-checked the MAC, and blocking all access to the xbox proves effective. It seems as though we still haven't pinpointed exactly where the data is coming from.

http://imgur.com/Zq7Ti
conjur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've done a bit more homework on this topic; and due to the quantity of servers, it would not be easy.

I found a functional analysis of Netflix's framework:
http://pomelollc.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/pomelo-tech-report-netflix.pdf

blocking "https://agmoviecontrol.netflix.com/" would appear to be sufficient; but the reverse-dns that DD-WRT sees is not quite the same. Here are the IPs that it is using in the south-eastern US as of today (they change quite oftenly):

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nccp-silverlight-frontend-dotcom-548805212.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses: 184.72.253.48
Aliases: agmoviecontrol.netflix.com

I suppose a crude method would be to use DNSMASQ to return invalid DNS for agmoviecontrol.netflix.com; but it would not easily be turned ON and OFF..
IE: --address=/agmoviecontrol.netflix.com/127.0.0.1

Sorry I can't be more help on this matter.

V/r,
Conjur
musclecups
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for going the extra mile, Conjur.

The thing that caught my eye from the report was near the very end of the article. It says that the video comes in with a .wmv extension. Looking through netflix's recent blogs, it seems as though they have since switched to a VC1 encoder.

Regardless, I have switched tacts, and am now trying to block the last link in the chain -- the media file itself. I have blocked the following containers, but to no avail. Do you have any other ideas concerning which format Netflix may currently be sending?

.wmv
.wma
.flv
.mpg
.avi
.asf
.vc1
.mkv

Thanks!
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
interesting topic..

might I suggest you call netflix.. They have always been very helpful. Going through xbox live, you are actually using the xbox servers.

rumor has it that they are close to implementing just such restrictions by time and device although not ready to release just yet (only rumor).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:22    Post subject: Blocking via router Reply with quote
I have nearly the same problem with my roommate, ps3, and buffalo router. I blocked moviecontrol.netflix.com on the router which killed playback to all computers in my house (half win). My roommate found the ps3 workaround so now I'm wondering if I can sniff those packets via Wireshark or the log window, find a header and use the "website blocking by keyword" ddwrt feature. That seem logical?
Armelo91
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it is the game time. My nephews are coming over to my place. This time I have added a few good shows by Andy Yeatman for them to watch. Also, we can play on the play station together. It was nice coming across this informative post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: