Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Geraner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just posted a review with my thoughts about the router after two weeks of using it. (with original ASUS fimrware).
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=35892&postcount=82
Sponsor
sirozha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have discovered a workaround to the English GUI problem. I posted this on SmallNetBuilder.com:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=35913&postcount=85

Asus has now released a firmware upgrade that fixes the English GUI problem - version 3.0.0.3.90. You may still have to use the workaround I described in that post in order to get to the page where you can upgrade to 3.0.0.3.90.
breakthestatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this the correct thread to find the latest information regarding DD-WRT builds for the n66u? I see that there were some early alpha/beta recommendations a few posts back, but I'm very hesitant to flash those until given more of a go-ahead (since they seem to semi-brick the device.) If this isn't the correct thread for dev updates, would someone be able to point me in the right direction?
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanna let you know that uptime is now 17 days and going strong.
sirozha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also wonder if this is the correct thread to monitor the progress of the DD-WRT builds for RT-N66U. By the way, there's already a working Tomato build described here:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=36529&postcount=313
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
sirozha wrote:
I also wonder if this is the correct thread to monitor the progress of the DD-WRT builds for RT-N66U. By the way, there's already a working Tomato build described here:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=36529&postcount=313

yep this is the right thread, I am still waiting for mine to arrive from amazon, once that arrives and I can get a serial console installed I can see if/what errors are causing dd-wrt to break on this device. If anyone has already ported this device and has serial output they wanna post here that would be awesome.. otherwise as soon as mine arrives I will serial it and get the output.

-Fractal
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
My WRT-610nv1 is getting ready to give up the ghost...wl0 is having issues, dropping out constantly and transmitting at low power regardless of power setting used. Tried using stock Linksys firmware to no avail.

So, I'm thinking about picking up a RT-N56U or -N66U...anyone know how to put the router into recovery mode as aforementioned?

And has anyone actually managed to get DD-WRT running?

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:
My WRT-610nv1 is getting ready to give up the ghost...wl0 is having issues, dropping out constantly and transmitting at low power regardless of power setting used. Tried using stock Linksys firmware to no avail.

So, I'm thinking about picking up a RT-N56U or -N66U...anyone know how to put the router into recovery mode as aforementioned?

Boy.. gone for a year and ask noob questions Razz

get the rt-n66u.. that router is a beast!. I am pretty sure it comes with a manual in regards to how to get it into recovery mode. I don't have the router yet.. The rt-16.. you hold the reset button as you power it up. I suspect the 66 would be the same. You may be able to download the manual from Asus.

If you read through this thread, you will find that dd-wrt supports the router.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
socal87 wrote:

Boy.. gone for a year and ask noob questions Razz

get the rt-n66u.. that router is a beast!. I am pretty sure it comes with a manual in regards to how to get it into recovery mode. I don't have the router yet.. The rt-16.. you hold the reset button as you power it up. I suspect the 66 would be the same. You may be able to download the manual from Asus.

If you read through this thread, you will find that dd-wrt supports the router.

Lol, thanks for the warm welcome, Weary Bear. I haven't actually been gone...just been real busy. Got promoted to Sergeant last June and getting ready to transfer to yet another unit coming up in March. The Marine Corps doesn't let me get a moment of rest.

I did read through the thread...I see that there is indeed a build meant for this hardware but it seems that someone already managed to brick his. Seeing as Amazon has yet to have them in stock, I'm trying to decide whether to wait or to just go with the N56. I want the external antennas though...

And son of a butcher, seems that my 610n has decided to work [semi]properly again. Maybe it knew it was going to get replaced...!

Aside from the Linksys E4200, what seems to be the best contender to this router? I started salivating over the E4200v2 until I saw the Marvell chipsets...

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

koaschten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well you know, the latest ASUS firmware isn't that bad... just get it, use it, flash dd-wrt once it's really usable Wink
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
koaschten wrote:
Well you know, the latest ASUS firmware isn't that bad... just get it, use it, flash dd-wrt once it's really usable Wink

Yeah, I've heard that too...they shipped with defective firmware and already have an update available. Doesn't faze me. I just don't want to be waiting nigh indefinitely for a $200 router...considering my 610 seems to be working ok so far...

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

Handsomus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
sirozha wrote:
Squarepants wrote:
When I used Chrome in Win7 it detected my native language. If not detected it will fall back to English I recon. Since it comes with a user manual for russian I guess you'r ok.

I have tried to configure RT-N66U for over an hour this morning. The English GUI is broken badly - nothing could be configured in it. In fact, I could not even go past the first two pages in the Setup Wizard, and I could not bypass the Setup Wizard. I have tried to configure it from Mac OS X (Lion) in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, and from Windows XP in IE and in Chrome. I got stuck exactly on the same page regardless of the OS and the browser I used. I don't see how others are able to configure anything in English GUI. I could not switch the language, either. In fact, I never get to the point where I could switch the language. The only thing I may be able to do at this point is to paste a direct URL for the page that allows one to switch the language. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just got my RT-N66U yesterday. The shipping software was horrible, i had to restore to default my router 3 time. The second time I am be able to stumble upon this page.
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

I hit the check button, and it upgraded the firmware but still behaving weird, I did a restore again and everything is fine this time.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Handsomus wrote:
sirozha wrote:
Squarepants wrote:
When I used Chrome in Win7 it detected my native language. If not detected it will fall back to English I recon. Since it comes with a user manual for russian I guess you'r ok.

I have tried to configure RT-N66U for over an hour this morning. The English GUI is broken badly - nothing could be configured in it. In fact, I could not even go past the first two pages in the Setup Wizard, and I could not bypass the Setup Wizard. I have tried to configure it from Mac OS X (Lion) in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, and from Windows XP in IE and in Chrome. I got stuck exactly on the same page regardless of the OS and the browser I used. I don't see how others are able to configure anything in English GUI. I could not switch the language, either. In fact, I never get to the point where I could switch the language. The only thing I may be able to do at this point is to paste a direct URL for the page that allows one to switch the language. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just got my RT-N66U yesterday. The shipping software was horrible, i had to restore to default my router 3 time. The second time I am be able to stumble upon this page.
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

I hit the check button, and it upgraded the firmware but still behaving weird, I did a restore again and everything is fine this time.

Indeed...this is why I always check reviews before I order a product. The RT-N66u is shipping with broken firmware; in some cases it won't even get a WAN IP.
IF YOU ORDER THIS ROUTER, BE AWARE YOU MUST PERFORM A FIRMWARE UPGRADE OUT OF THE BOX!

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

hrana
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:

Indeed...this is why I always check reviews before I order a product. The RT-N66u is shipping with broken firmware; in some cases it won't even get a WAN IP.
IF YOU ORDER THIS ROUTER, BE AWARE YOU MUST PERFORM A FIRMWARE UPGRADE OUT OF THE BOX!

The store I bought the router from warned me of this as I picked up the last 2 RT-N66Us on the shelf. For what it is worth, the firmware upgrade process to the latest official firmware is painless (change the language to something non-English and go for it). I ended up with a custom firmware by the end of the night but that's why we're here.
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
hrana wrote:
socal87 wrote:

The store I bought the router from warned me of this as I picked up the last 2 RT-N66Us on the shelf. For what it is worth, the firmware upgrade process to the latest official firmware is painless (change the language to something non-English and go for it). I ended up with a custom firmware by the end of the night but that's why we're here.

Very true.

Did you play with the stock firmware at all? If so, how flexible and capable was it?

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: