HELP! wrt54gv5 firmware flash gone horribly, horribly wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Charlesbian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:27    Post subject: HELP! wrt54gv5 firmware flash gone horribly, horribly wrong Reply with quote
well, i was having problems with the default linksys firmware so i decided to flash the dd-wrt. (i have a wrt54g connected to a cable modem and servicing 2 laptops) i followed the wiki instructions, and everything worked great, up until after i applied the vxworks killer firmware upgrade in management mode. after i did that, i proceeded to try and transfer the ddwrt micro through the linksys tftp tool, but even after an hour and a half it still had not completed (in the tool, it said something like "failed to resolve host address" even though it also said "erasing flash, please wait". i entered http:// along with the ip in the tftp address box. am i suppposed to? didnt seem to work without it) so i closed it. thinking i needed the password for my old gui, i tried re-flashing back to vxworks. i used the openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin through the tftp tool to try and flash it back to vxworks, but again, after an hour and a half, nothing. i canceled that, and proceeded to get desperate. i tried flashing regular linksys firmware through the tftp, re-tried the ddwrt micro build, etc, all this through the linksys tftp tool, as even the ddwrt management mode gui doesnt come up when i enter my router ip. i know my router isnt bricked yet (thank god) since all the ethernet lights arnt blinking. my question is, how do i salvage this? either by reverting it back to vxworks or ddwrt. also, what did i do wrong in my initial ddwrt installation attempt. did i forget to disable the administration password on the vxworks firmware? does that matter? any quick replies would be appreciated as i would like my router to be running as fast as possible. thanks for the support!
Sponsor
mahenry
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried giving yourself a static ip address?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
how would i go about doing that? maybe ill google it when i get home

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, this is definitely the problem. I am too lazy to write out the instructions.
steveo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
get some rest db90h

Assumption's are that yuo're using Windows XP and using the newest build of vx-works killer.
To force an Ip address:

Click 'start'
click 'control panel'
double-click 'network connections'
right click 'LAN' or "local area network'
select 'properties'

in the 'local area connection properties' dialogue yuo'll see a box in the middle that has the heading '

This connection uses the following items. scroll down till yuo see 'TCP/IP'. double click this.

In the new dialogue that opens select'us the following ip address'
Enter 19.168.1.5 for the ip address and 225.225.225.0 for the subnet mask. the last number of the ip address can be anything from 2 to 254 but i use 5.

click 'ok' then 'ok' again.

once you've configured the router and are ready to surf yuo'll need to follow the instructions to get back and select ' Obtain an ip address automatically'.

i have a walkthrought with screen shots if you want it for the wiki, db90h

Best,
Steve0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
steveo wrote:

i have a walkthrought with screen shots if you want it for the wiki, db90h

Yes, please Wink.
mahenry
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Minor typo
steveo wrote:
In the new dialogue that opens select'us the following ip address'
Enter 19.168.1.5 for the ip address and 225.225.225.0 for the subnet mask. the last number of the ip address can be anything from 2 to 254 but i use 5.

Of course, steveo meant 192.168.1.5 in his instructions, above, if this was not painfully obvious. Thanks for your work, steveo.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
oops!

thanks mahenry.

I'll get that walkthrough for u in the morning, db90h.

And thanks for all the work!!!

steve0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
steveo wrote:

[...]
Enter 19.168.1.5 for the ip address and 225.225.225.0 for the subnet mask.
[...]

The subnet mask should read "255.255.255.0". Wink
Charlesbian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks guys, i got it working. but alas i got a new problem. i accidentally messed up some settings in the gui and now its unreachable ( think i limited the # of connections too small) how do i revert back to default dd-wrt settings when i cant access the gui, do i use the tftp utility again?
Charlesbian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvm guys, i figured it out. thanks for your help guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: