dd-wrt, UVerse, and streaming problems.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
aglarang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 15:22    Post subject: dd-wrt, UVerse, and streaming problems. Reply with quote
Hi all. I recently switched to UVerse from TWC for internet and tv. With my old setup, I had a home network setup using a Buffalo router with dd-wrt installed. This included many settings over time for security, port management, etc. Plus, I also like the security and config capabilities of dd-wrt as well as the signal strength I get from the buffalo wireless.

So, I added the buffalo router to the DMZ and changed the subnet to not interfere with the one on the UVerse router. All seemed to be fine at first, but I have discovered a problem and cannot figure out how to correct it. Basically, streams will just stop after some period of time. For example, I listen to the ESPN Radio stream while working. Sometimes it will stop after 5 minutes, sometimes after 30, but it will always stop. Now, sometimes I can just hit play and it will restart, but sometimes it does not realize the data has stopped streaming and I have to refresh the page. I have also experienced this with large downloads. I downloaded a file over 500MB (a zip file) the other day and it paused a few times and would not restart automatically. I had to use Firefox's ability to manually pause and restart to get the whole file. Now, I have not noticed any issues with online games. I have played them for at least a couple of hours with no apparent interruption, butI do know the netcode for games is typically more tolerant, so I could be havng drops and the game recognizes and resets for all I know.

So, does anyone have any ideas or what other information do you need me to provide to help diagnose this problem. Thanks.
Sponsor
aglarang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am responding to my own issue. I think I finally found the answer. I cannot take credit for this, and the link where I found the solution is:
http://www.comprepairgurus.com/att-u-verse2wire-gateway-and-dd-wrt-router-in-dmz-mode/

Anyway, long story short, the dd-wrt router firewall seems to be blocking the DHCP responses from the UVerse router. The DHCP lease is every 10 minutes and the current config would drop the connection at 10 minutes then renew the lease. So, a rule needs to be added to the dd-wrt firewall to renew the lease every 5 minutes before it gets dropped.

In dd-wrt go to Administration - Commands and add this rule:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
Click Save Firewall. You may need to restart the router. To verify that it is working (beyond trying to stream something for a long time or download a very large file) go to Status - WAN and check the 'Remaining Lease Time'. It should not go below 5:00.

Again, I did not come up with this and am basically parroting what is said on the site I listed. So all the credit goes there.
bimmerd00d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i came in here to post that! I just fixed this the other day as well using the same method. I'm about 5 days in with this fix and it's working great still.
aglarang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to hear BimmerDude. I searched for a while before finding that page. I actually had given up and that was when I posted here. But I gave it one mroe search and found that answer. Good to hear that it is stable for you. So far today I had the same stream running for over 4 hours with no issues, so it is looking better for me.
bimmerd00d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
aglarang wrote:
Good to hear BimmerDude. I searched for a while before finding that page. I actually had given up and that was when I posted here. But I gave it one mroe search and found that answer. Good to hear that it is stable for you. So far today I had the same stream running for over 4 hours with no issues, so it is looking better for me.

I gave up too, then last week the wife fell asleep early and i decided to dive back in and see what i could find. I was so excited to fix this Smile Now my ddns and everything works!
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you solved your problems...

If you are running DMZ+ on the RG gateway, wouldnt you want to give your router a Static IP address and not worry about DHCP at all.

I dont have a clue of what you are trying to do, but for a router sitting behind another router/gateway, I would assume you would want to know the WAN facing IP address of the dd-wrt router ..

my $0.02.

1 * EA6500 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * EA6500v2 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * WRT610N - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
===================================
bimmerd00d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ndewan wrote:
Glad you solved your problems...

If you are running DMZ+ on the RG gateway, wouldnt you want to give your router a Static IP address and not worry about DHCP at all.

I dont have a clue of what you are trying to do, but for a router sitting behind another router/gateway, I would assume you would want to know the WAN facing IP address of the dd-wrt router ..

my $0.02.

Yes, I would love to. However, the 2Wire RG doesn't allow you to set a static IP for the DMZ. It does pass the WAN IP to the DD-WRT router so all I have to do is look up at the top right and there is my WAN IP. I can still login to the 2Wire RG that resides on the other subnet just fine, should I ever need to that is. Smile
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll roll back the design session a little bit now .. Smile

1. Do you REALLY need DMZ+. If all you are doing in streaming content from standard sites (pandora, netflix, amazon etc), you DO NOT need a DMZ+ setup.

2. If you are into gaming etc, then you MIGHT need DMZ+ for a)game specific port forwarding capabilities and/or b)QOS features that might be better on a router running dd-wrt rather than the 2Wire RG.

Now that I think through this a little more, I now vaguely remember that once you set up a DMZ+ mode on the 2Wire, it will clear its list of DHCP clients and allocate one for the DMZ+ host (your dd-wrt router). I think the 2Wire RG instructions specifically ask for a power recycle of all clients to clean out the ipaddresses.

If you dont use the DMZ capabilities, I am assuming that you know how to allocate a static IP to your router and connect to the 2Wire RG.

I can confirm, that without using the DMZ+, I have no problems streaming content from the internet through the 2Wire, to a hardwired DD-WRT router, across a wireless repeater bridge router (running DD-WRT) to a set of hardwired and wireless internet devices (laptops, TV, ipod, smartphone etc).

Then again, if you have a setup that you are comfortable with, great. My personal preference is to keep it simple and s____d.

bimmerd00d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ndewan wrote:
I'll roll back the design session a little bit now .. Smile

1. Do you REALLY need DMZ+. If all you are doing in streaming content from standard sites (pandora, netflix, amazon etc), you DO NOT need a DMZ+ setup.

2. If you are into gaming etc, then you MIGHT need DMZ+ for a)game specific port forwarding capabilities and/or b)QOS features that might be better on a router running dd-wrt rather than the 2Wire RG.

Now that I think through this a little more, I now vaguely remember that once you set up a DMZ+ mode on the 2Wire, it will clear its list of DHCP clients and allocate one for the DMZ+ host (your dd-wrt router). I think the 2Wire RG instructions specifically ask for a power recycle of all clients to clean out the ipaddresses.

If you dont use the DMZ capabilities, I am assuming that you know how to allocate a static IP to your router and connect to the 2Wire RG.

I can confirm, that without using the DMZ+, I have no problems streaming content from the internet through the 2Wire, to a hardwired DD-WRT router, across a wireless repeater bridge router (running DD-WRT) to a set of hardwired and wireless internet devices (laptops, TV, ipod, smartphone etc).

Then again, if you have a setup that you are comfortable with, great. My personal preference is to keep it simple and s____d.

Normally i'd agree. However, I use freedns and this is the only way that will work. I also run a few VM's and it's much easier to work with DD-WRT for port forwarding than the 2Wire.
thisisnotatest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
aglarang, would you mind telling me how you setup your DD-WRT to work with the 2Wire UVERSE box. I'm having some trouble.

My first thought was let the 2wire handle DHCP and use DHCP forwarding on the DD-WRT. That hasn't worked well.

Can you give me specific instructions on how you got this to work. It might be as simple as getting them on separate subnets (which is not something I fully understand)

I too am trying to stream music, but to airport expresses. I also came from TWC and never had a problem using my ASUS WL-500G. But now I do with Uverse.

Just can't figure out how to keep the DD-WRT and 2wire from conflicting. I'd like the most optimal setup for streaming. Any help is greatly appreciated.
thisisnotatest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, just as a heads up -- The only way I've gotten around this is to setup the 2wire so that it uses the 172.16.0.0 IP Range and then set my DD-WRT to use the 192.168.0.0 range.

This isn't great since my wired and wireless devices are no longer on the same network. Streaming does work better though over wireless

Was hoping someone could offer the cleanest solution though for a router behind another outer.

Thanks!
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
can you share more on the devices and what router they are connected to.

My suggestion is to have all your devices connected to the dd-wrt router (be on the same subnet). The only device connected to the 2wire should be the dd-wrt enabled router.

Disable the wireless on the 2wire, use the wireless on the dd-wrt router.

Hope this helps

thisisnotatest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip ndewan, seems like a good idea.

The current setup is Internet > ATT Uverse 2Wire 3800 HGV-B > ASUS WL500G V2

I have already disabled wireless on 2wire and using wireless from the ASUS.

DHCP is active on 2wire and cannot be turned off. It is set to distribute addresses in the 172.16.0.0 range. All of the wired devices currently get IP's of 172.16.1.*

On the ASUS DHCP is also active but in the 192.168.0.0 range.

ASUS gets an IP address of 172.16.1.* from 2wire and gives 192.168.1.* addresses to all wireless devices.

Seems like I should take your advice and do all wired and wireless through the ASUS. Will I see any performance hits going this route? Is this the most efficient way to set this all up? Also, are there any tweaks that I should do to the DD-WRT ASUS to make the wireless stronger? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep DHCP enabled on both.

The 2Wire will give out addresses in the 172.16.0.0 space, while the ASUS will dish out addresses in the 192.168.0.0 space.

This will allow all your 192.168.*.* devices to see (and talk to) each other.

I have this configuration running for a couple years not with no performance issues .. check my sig for hardware used. I will admit that I am not into gaming/torrents etc, so cant comment on that aspect. However, I have been able to run multiple netflix, pandora, amazon video sessions without any issues (wired or wireless).

The only downside is that devices on the 172 netwoek will not be able to see the devices on the 192 network. I havent found a way to define static routes at the 2wire to enable this capability.

This implies that you wont be able to play any media (from the 192 network) on your TV( 172 network) by using the advance media option on your DVR box. If you dont use this anyway, you should be OK ..

Thanks

nutte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
aglarang wrote:
I am responding to my own issue. I think I finally found the answer. I cannot take credit for this, and the link where I found the solution is:
http://www.comprepairgurus.com/att-u-verse2wire-gateway-and-dd-wrt-router-in-dmz-mode/

Anyway, long story short, the dd-wrt router firewall seems to be blocking the DHCP responses from the UVerse router. The DHCP lease is every 10 minutes and the current config would drop the connection at 10 minutes then renew the lease. So, a rule needs to be added to the dd-wrt firewall to renew the lease every 5 minutes before it gets dropped.

In dd-wrt go to Administration - Commands and add this rule:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
Click Save Firewall. You may need to restart the router. To verify that it is working (beyond trying to stream something for a long time or download a very large file) go to Status - WAN and check the 'Remaining Lease Time'. It should not go below 5:00.

Again, I did not come up with this and am basically parroting what is said on the site I listed. So all the credit goes there.

This unfortunately doesn't seem to work for me. I still get kicked out from the PlayStation Network (that's one of the issues I'm facing) and the 'Remaining Lease Time' on the Status WAN-page does reach 0, making the 'Connection Uptime' reset every 10 minutes.

Can anyone think of a reason why it might not be working?

My setup:
Router Model: Linksys E4200
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/12/11) big - build 18000
ISP Modem/router: 2Wire 3801HGV from AT &T
And just to verify... I've saved the following statement to the firewall: iptables -I INPUT -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: