Asus RT-N10U - questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
fijam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45    Post subject: Asus RT-N10U - questions Reply with quote
I am new to DD-WRT although not entirely alien to the embedded world. I have read the stickies and I hope that my questions will be relevant.

1. As the support for this router has been added only recently (http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/changeset/16982) I suppose the image recommended by Router Database is correct? (16994 dd-wrt.v24-16994_NEWD-2_K2.6). Should I expect stability issues with this fairly recent build?

2. Is the USB port in this SoC (BCM5358) fully supported?

3. Router database lists it as 4MB Flash/16MB RAM while the commit mentioned above says 8MB Flash/32 RAM. I suppose the latter is correct?

4. How viable is this device as a NAS? Is it powerful enough to run a Samba server? What performance should I expect with a NTFS drive and 802.11n?

5. On a related note, is the NTFS support available via a kernel module or FUSE module?

6. Supposing all the above is correct I would be interested in a STD USB NAS version of the firmware. Router database doesn't list it, should I use ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17598/?
Sponsor
BuckMaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone can confirm if eko firmware will work on this router?
Thx a lot Smile
zviratko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 22:53    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-N10U - questions Reply with quote
fijam wrote:

1. As the support for this router has been added only recently (http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/changeset/16982) I suppose the image recommended by Router Database is correct? (16994 dd-wrt.v24-16994_NEWD-2_K2.6). Should I expect stability issues with this fairly recent build?

Hello, I have used this version several days without problems - I have bought new RT-10U device and same day I replaced original stock firmware with DD-WRT.
fijam wrote:

2. Is the USB port in this SoC (BCM5358) fully supported?

I have tested only mass storage, this works fine - in following days, I would like to enable USB printing.
fijam wrote:

3. Router database lists it as 4MB Flash/16MB RAM while the commit mentioned above says 8MB Flash/32 RAM. I suppose the latter is correct?

32 MB RAM and 8 MB Flash is correct
Memory: 26012k/32768k available (3484k kernel code, 6740k reserved, 1355k data, 188k init, 0k highmem)
Found a 8MB ST compatible serial flash
fijam wrote:

6. Supposing all the above is correct I would be interested in a STD USB NAS version of the firmware. Router database doesn't list it, should I use ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17598/?

I'm currently running ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb.bin, only problem was with ssh access. After upgrade, dropbear daemon didn't started, I have to clear nvram stored rsa key and let the box generate new one - see http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=654538#654538
czechrite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone.

I just bought this router (RT-N10u) and I would like to ask if there's any BASIC instructions as to how to load dd-wrt on it. I've loaded it on a couple routers before, most recently the d-link dir-600. The flashing/loading for the d-link is pretty simple, just "restore" a bin file as admin firmware-upgrade.

Can I do the same here with the ASUS RT-N10U? Just restore the ".trx" file shown at

http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Asus/RT-N10U/-/dd-wrt.v24-16994_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N10U.trx/3877

Or, do I have to use the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility like in some similar ASUS models? Any help on a BASIC install of dd-wrt would be helpful as the WIKI doesn't have any install stuff at the moment.

If I need to post this somewhere else, please let me know.

Any advice on just how I should initially install this ".trx" file would be helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers, CZECHRITE
czechrite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also it's worth noting that there's 4 files here, I've figured what the first two are, but the rest I'm not 100% sure about.

Here's a screen shot of the official support site.

Seems like we've got:

1. the dd-wrt flash file (which I installed with a simple "firmware update"#
2. an "openvpn" .bin file (installed after flashing to dd-wrt via firmware upgrade)
3. some kind of "nokai" file?
4. some kind of VOIP .bin file?

I've not found any official install page or guide on how to use these files. Any help GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I'm assuming that the last two further upgrade the capability of the router...but anyone who can confirm what they do and how to install and use them....would really be appreciated! Very Happy

Thanks again...in advance!

Cheers, C

AsusRT-N10U_FileLIST.jpg
 Description:
Files from http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
for ASUS RT-N10U router
 Filesize:  92.13 KB
 Viewed:  37314 Time(s)

AsusRT-N10U_FileLIST.jpg

Last edited by czechrite on Mon Jan 09, 2012 0:34; edited 1 time in total
czechrite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still no feedback?

I'm still somewhat of a novice at this. My experience shouldn't be regarded much without some more expert confirmations.

I did load the open vpn as stated in the strongvpn.com's setup guide, and I had one great evening with my xbox360 running US based apps....However, when I made backups and tried to use them later I had big problems and almost bricked my router. It just locked up on me. I did manage to recover it after studying a bit on 30/30/30 reset proceedure and using rescue mode...but I must be doing something wrong if trying to restore is going to mess things up.

If anyone can recommend flashing instructions or confirm the build, that'd be great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately....still no feedback.

I'm replying to my own posts.

In any case, I'm finding the build recommended in the router database to be very unstable.

It works fine enough after loading and putting in the openvpn files, but try to make any small adjustments to just about anything, such as Nat/Qos, port triggering, or even Universal Plug and Play and it just doesn't like it. I get cut off from the internet entirely and if I decide to use a different IP then WHOAH good luck finding the interface.

I would advise anyone considering using this router for dd-wrt to wait a bit or try using tomato until there is actual install advice or specific support indicated here in the forums.

Cheers, C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
czechrite wrote:

In any case, I'm finding the build recommended in the router database to be very unstable

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82079

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
czechrite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Very Happy

Murrkf wrote:
czechrite wrote:

In any case, I'm finding the build recommended in the router database to be very unstable

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82079

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh boy.

My experience so far with this router and the firmware (Build 16994) recommended at the so called "router database" is a mixed bag.

I originally wanted to try this particular router as it could support OPENVPN which I wanted to "move up to" as I was using PPTP

There is a certain amount of stability if I just load the openvpn files, but if I make any specific enhancements to basic setup or to NAT/QoS then things start to get silly and either freeze up or just don't work.

The other strange thing is that if I get all the settings good and load the openvpn encryption files, I can't back up ANYTHING. If I try to backup settings or use a "restore" file/process it doesn't work at all and everything freezes up and I must start all over in rescue mode.

There also seem to be some issues with the wireless settings once I convert over to dd-wrt. It is hard to be specific as it is so random....I had no luck using wireless "N" settings specifically...the ID would not show up at all. I could manage a "G" network sometimes, but it would still randomly crash. In the end I just shut down the wireless completely in hopes that the hard-wired network would be more stable.

It IS STABLE if I just change over to dd-wrt, load the openvpn build, load the openvpn files, and then make no special/minor adjustments of any kind.

However, if I try to setup any forwarding, triggering, or QoS....everything seems to go to hell...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I say....my own experience is mixed.

I'm wondering if I should try a different build or different settings.

In fairness, I should say that IF I JUST LOAD THE OVPEN VPN FILES AND CLEAR THE NVRAM it works as a great OPENVPN router so far, but if I try to change ANY other settings, it usually ends up not working and "semi-bricking" and the only way out is rescue mode.

That's my experience so far....doesn't mean much unless anyone else can add input.

Cheers. C

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
czechrite wrote:
That's my experience so far....doesn't mean much unless anyone else can add input.

Cheers. C

I will try again...How about this one:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54889

Try re-testing and reporting from stabiliity. Wink

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
czechrite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
czechrite wrote:

Cheers. C

I will try again...How about this one:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54889

Try re-testing and reporting from stabiliity. Wink

Right, I read those threads and they helped a great deal, however I haven't read any comments yet about the stability of this particular router with dd-wrt.

There are no specific instructions for this specific router...unless I'm so daft I missed again!

At this point it really doesn't seem stable.
It will often crash after a reboot and it's not possible to backup the settings if ovpn code has been loaded to the router.

I read peacock and the 30/30/30 threads and the wiki regarding ASUS installs for a few ASUS routers that have similar chipset. This one as of yet isn't quite as stable as my D-Link 600 was as far as adjusting router settings....but D-Link 600 obviously didn't have OpenVPN.

If you think I shouldn't contribute my experience or that it's not of value to anyone then I'll just sit back and read.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flash 18000 and then check again. Those 16000/early 17000 builds have a few obscure issues. Flash to stability, and then report if there are any changes. That will give meaningful information as to whether problems are the router itself, or the builds you were using.

Flashing instructions are note 1 of the peacock. Builds are note 3 and 4.

zev
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 14:04    Post subject: RT-N10U JFFS2 Support Reply with quote
Hello,

Does anyone know if there's a dd-wrt build for RT-N10U with JFFS2 support?

I've flashed couple of latest Eko and BrainSlayer builds and I was really surprised to find out that "JFFS2 Support" option is not available.

Router has 8MB flash on board so I just can't understand why "JFFS2 Support" was removed?

I tried:

1. Eko: dd-wrt.v24-17084_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin
2. Eko: dd-wrt.v24-17084_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb.bin
3. BrainSlayer: dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb.bin

None of them show "JFFS2 Support" option under "Administration".

Sad
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: