Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Geraner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try with this one instead, it's a newer version.
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/broadcom_K26/

There are two files available:
dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_big_RT-N66U.trx = 7644 KB
dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx = 3368 KB
Sponsor
Geraner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geraner wrote:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-20-11-r18024/broadcom_K26/

Don't upload the file "dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_big_RT-N66U.trx = 7644 KB"
I did it and the my PC couldn't get an IP-address via LAN connection.
Was starting the restore function of the router, uploading the origin ASUS firmware again which the recovery tool reported me as restored successfully. I had to wait for reboot. - But this was the router doing again and again and again.

Getting into recovery mode is no problem. But restoring the origin firmware according to ASUS instructions is not possible. Router is rebooting again after 8 seconds. The via LAN connected computer never get's an IP-adress. Unit totally broken.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geraner wrote:
Geraner wrote:

Was starting the restore function of the router, uploading the origin ASUS firmware again which the recovery tool reported me as restored successfully. I had to wait for reboot. - But this was the router doing again and again and again.

Getting into recovery mode is no problem. But restoring the origin firmware according to ASUS instructions is not possible. Router is rebooting again after 8 seconds. The via LAN connected computer never get's an IP-adress. Unit totally broken.

Bummer.. I should have ordered one last weekend. You could order but shipment would be delayed. Now.. You can not order (newegg). I'll try Amazon.. I'll get one.. Get serial figured out. Help Tornado add jtag support and off we go unbricking these little gems..

Don't worry about your brick.. We'll fix it.. It is call engineering (or pioneering) Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aanuka wrote:
Bought this one today and hooked it up, and frankly I'm not impressed yet. Either it's a really bad firmware, or my unit is broken.

Looking on just the wired connection, I'm running a 100/100Mbit and I get 98/97Mbit when hooking myself straight in.

Since I wanted some wireless and more devices I thought this one would do just fine, but when hooking it up I get 98/29-39Mbit.

Down is indeed good, but the upload speed is just frankly crap.

Tried out the DD-WRT build that was posted in this thread without any luck, it boots but can't save anything nor the WAN-port works. And when I reboot it becomes semi-bricked and have to restore it with disaster recovery.

Hopefully a new firmware will fix this, or else I'm returning this one prompto.

Question,
Does anyone else have proplems with the upload speed?

I have one coming from amazon, but like most of us, we are on the long waiting list... Has anyone managed to get a serial console on this yet, and if so do you have some output...

17355 was the mass svn update for this device, it could be alot of things in that checkin. I know I created a ticket that it was bricking -nv60k routers, however that was fixed in 17405..

I will make note to serial my device before I install dd-wrt, I am sure we can find whats wrong and get it checked in.

-Fractal
koaschten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
I have one coming from amazon, but like most of us, we are on the long waiting list... Has anyone managed to get a serial console on this yet, and if so do you have some output...

17355 was the mass svn update for this device, it could be alot of things in that checkin. I know I created a ticket that it was bricking -nv60k routers, however that was fixed in 17405..

I will make note to serial my device before I install dd-wrt, I am sure we can find whats wrong and get it checked in.

-Fractal

Shouldn't be too hard to get serial access assuming this pins are connected: http://i.imgur.com/88LIJ.jpg
Aanuka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Geraner wrote:
Geraner wrote:

No worries, you can get it fixed right away.

Assign a static IP of 192.168.1.X/24 as usual, put the router in recovery.

Browse to 192.168.1.1 and flush the nvram, procced with firmware restore through the asus utility.

The firs time I had to: Flush nvram, flash dd-wrt, flush nvram, flash stock but the last time I just had to flush and straight to stock.

I'm not sure what to say about this router just yet, I hope it's a sucky firmware or else I'm really dissapointed.

Issues that I have found on stock (Except the GUI-wise)

- Portforwarding is somewhat broken, you are able to set it up and have it running but suddenly it stops forwarding, then all magically starts again. Putting the target in DMZ works flawless.

- Uploadspeed. Went from 97Mbit without the router to a merely 39-49Mbit with it. I sure hope that this is a firmware issue seeing the amount of horsepower this beast has, or what do you guys think?

*EDIT*
And for DD-WRT, the mini builds do boot after the inital flash, but alot aint working, for example WAN connection and 5GHz. It might just be doing something wrong, but I'm not able to get it working.

And also, doing a reboot after flashing DD-WRT makes the router a semi-brick and has to be resorted using the recovery utility.
Geraner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aanuka wrote:

No worries, you can get it fixed right away.

Assign a static IP of 192.168.1.X/24 as usual, put the router in recovery.

Browse to 192.168.1.1 and flush the nvram, procced with firmware restore through the asus utility.

Thanks man! You made my day!!
Didn't know about the nvram flash via the webinterface. No information about that in the ASUS manual either. Was only using the ASUS recovery tool.

Now I'm back running with ASUS original firmware.
Geraner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
After sucessfully restoring the orignal ASUS firmware, I made a second test in upgrading the rouer with firmare:
dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx

Got the same problem as Aanuka.
Upgrade possible. Possible to login and set up the router. But it was not possible to get any WAN connection working.

Telnet was working. After performing comand "Reboot" in telnet the router was bricked again. Had to do a restore and flashed back to the orignal ASUS firmware which is now running on my router again.
isamudaison
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might want to double-check that you want to keep this router if you've bought it last week:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6446&page=7
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
isamudaison wrote:
Might want to double-check that you want to keep this router if you've bought it last week:

What are you referring to?
isamudaison
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Squarepants wrote:
isamudaison wrote:

What are you referring to?

One of the forum posts has this (by user acaciolo1):

acaciolo1 wrote:

so...my rt-n66u just arrived. I hooked it up, and it has been a train wreck. script errors all over...can't even get into the Web Gui. I tried their exe install program and it is even worse.

Also not very comforting that on the little bit of the GUI that it did display, it had spelling errors.

I called Asus and spoke to their tech Seth, who didn't even know this product existed yet....and then he spoke to management and this is what they are advising EVERYONE:

"return the product to where your bought it." Yup..that is what they told me. no firmware fix...nothing they can do. I was the first call they got on it....and when I called back a few hours later, they apparently are getting bombarded with the same calls. so...bottom line....their exact words "this wasn't ready to ship." Get your money back.

amazing.
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its working alright here. No restarts or hang ups. I'm very pleased. It's only the firmware and I can wait for that. I posted earlier about the GUI, it works in Chrome for Windows 7.

So time will show I recon. I'm not gonna send it back, because I really dont have any problems at all.

Edit: Uptime as we speak. 7 days 6 hours and 44 minutes... and couting. My older TP-Link 1043nd didn't last for a day...
sirozha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the RT-N66U in today. Unfortunately I had to go back to work at night due to an emergency, so I did not have time to configure it. Has anyone tried to use it in the AP-only mode? Does the English interface work with AP-only mode? I am using enterprise Cisco gear throughout, including the AP, but it's time to replace my Cisco 1131 802.11a/b/g AP, so I decided to go with the RT-N66U. Therefore, I only need it as an AP-only for now, and perhaps I could use it as a gigabit switch (if I can get 802.1Q and 802.3ad working by installing DD-WRT) later on.

Also, does it have a Russian-language interface? I do not feel like dealing with German to configure it. I cannot believe Asus would work on this thing for over a year and not fix the English interface. Then again, I think they have a lot of software development happening in Russia.
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I used Chrome in Win7 it detected my native language. If not detected it will fall back to English I recon. Since it comes with a user manual for russian I guess you'r ok.
sirozha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Squarepants wrote:
When I used Chrome in Win7 it detected my native language. If not detected it will fall back to English I recon. Since it comes with a user manual for russian I guess you'r ok.

I have tried to configure RT-N66U for over an hour this morning. The English GUI is broken badly - nothing could be configured in it. In fact, I could not even go past the first two pages in the Setup Wizard, and I could not bypass the Setup Wizard. I have tried to configure it from Mac OS X (Lion) in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, and from Windows XP in IE and in Chrome. I got stuck exactly on the same page regardless of the OS and the browser I used. I don't see how others are able to configure anything in English GUI. I could not switch the language, either. In fact, I never get to the point where I could switch the language. The only thing I may be able to do at this point is to paste a direct URL for the page that allows one to switch the language. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: