Confusion amongst all the links

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
raiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 15:12    Post subject: Confusion amongst all the links Reply with quote
Before you bomb this post please READ. I read all your posts already!

I am getting ready to flash my router. I have the linksys/cisco WRT54Gs 1.1 and the OE firmware is up to date

I have read the wiki instructions:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GS_v1.1

and it says use newd builds when that page gives you a link to the mini and the link doesn't even work.

I also read the "Peacock announcement"
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

That states the links and the firmwares in the router database are ones not use.

There is a lot of conflicting information between these pages and is very confusing. I don't know which to trust.

I need to know which version of the flash rom/firmware to start with and which I should use as the final firmware. I also need locations or links to these builds please.

Thank you for your time and help. It is much appreciated!
Sponsor
dc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 16:16    Post subject: Re: Confusion amongst all the links Reply with quote
raiu wrote:
Before you bomb this post please READ. I read all your posts already!

<<snip>>

Hi and welcome! DD-WRT is an interesting project on many levels. I agree that there has been some 'drift' with some documentation and nomenclature mainly due to the fact that a lot of that work has been done on a volunteer nature -and- that some (like the database) is not maintained by the community so we can't update the information.

Glad to see that you've done your reading - there are many/many/many options. Lets start with a strategy to get your vendor-up-to-date wrt54gs v1.1 over to dd-wrt.

When you check the broadcom forum sticky messages, you'll note that 14929 is currently still the recommended build so that's what we'll aim for.

First -- using the router database it tells us that your router is supported, has 32MB of ram and 8MB of flash so you'll eventually be able to run a 'bigger' build like 'mega' etc. (The mega builds have a lot of functionality included. If your router had a smaller amount of ram/nvram or you wanted to use some of that memory as on on-router 'disk' you may want to use a smaller or targeted (VPN etc) build.

If you check the 'Supported By' selection box on the web page you'll see that there a number of builds available. Since you are heading to 14929, you could choose 'v24preSP2[Beta] Build 14896'. When you do, there will be a list of versions listed. You want the mini_wrt54gs build (and it appears that this link works). Save this somewhere where you can find it.

Before you go and flash the build, go pick up the recommended build. To do this via the web interface, select 'DOWNLOADS' from the very top of the page and then 'Other Downloads -> others -> eko -> BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 -> 2010 -> 08-12-10-r14929 -> broadcom

In this directory you'll note that there's also a mini_wrt54gs build (you could use this instead of the above but it doesn't matter too much in this instance as you're going to be installing another build over the top of the initial / named build anyhow).

I'd recommend the mega since your router supports that build. The file to download is dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin (shortcut to link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin )

So, briefly the firmware path is --> mini_wrt54gs(TFTP) --> mega_generic(Web Upgrade)

Note. you should have a copy of the original manufactures firmware on hand just in case (especially if this is your first dd-wrt install on your main router)

Note2.. Follow the flashing procedure as outlined in the peacock thread and the appropriate wiki article. Remember that the 30/30/30 memory resets are important

Note3... patience is important. Let things finish completely and settle before you power off/proceed.

Good Luck!
raiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will try this as soon as I get home! Thank you!

Once this is done and DD-WRT is running, will I be able to bridge my WRT54GS 1.1 to my WRT160n? I should be able to bridge the 54gs to any router right?
lilpunk1302
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is correct. When you're bridging, the router connects as if it were a laptop or any other device, so it can technically connect to pretty much any wifi source.
raiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow! This is nice to have now!! I have just the mini build running as a bridge right now and it working just fine.. Had to do 3 30/30/30 resets. Everything worked out! Thank you!!!!!!!
littlebuddie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am glad to find this post regarding upgrading the WRT54GS V1 because I also find some of the information confusing from source to source. I have done the recommended reading (and then some) for installing DD-WRT on my specific router but some information suggests that a WRT54GS V1 or V2 can easily be bricked during a simple 30 30 30 reset. But then, I read many posts where no such problem exists. Should I concern myself here? My router has factory firmware, no alterations have been performed as yet.

dc, it is refreshing to read your kind and helpful response to the original poster, you are very patient.
raiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
THANK YOU!!!!! DDWRT UP AND RUNNING AND I AM YELLIING ABOUT IT!!! THANK YOU!!!

Thanks guys!! Your the sh**! I just stuck with the first firmware it works for what I needed it to. I just wanted to make this thing a bridge since I had a spare.
stevenk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 19:03    Post subject: Working - but cant access Reply with quote
Like raiu, I too was very confused by all the links and conflicting information. dc, thank you very much for your informative and concise information on setting up the wrt54gs.
I have a client bridge network setup and am able to use my network without any issues. However, now I cannot access either router. My primary is a WRTUn54gs, the T-Mobile router with two sim slots and phone ports; my client bridge is the wrt54gs. I used the 14929 build and had it set up pretty easily. Later, I realized a problem with my work laptop and wanted to double check the settings to make sure i had not disallowed VPN. when i enter 192.168.1.1/6 i get a blank screen with "done" indicated at the lower left. no password request, no text on the screen, nothing. any ideas?
raiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Re: Working - but cant access Reply with quote
stevenk wrote:
Like raiu, I too was very confused by all the links and conflicting information. dc, thank you very much for your informative and concise information on setting up the wrt54gs.
I have a client bridge network setup and am able to use my network without any issues. However, now I cannot access either router. My primary is a WRTUn54gs, the T-Mobile router with two sim slots and phone ports; my client bridge is the wrt54gs. I used the 14929 build and had it set up pretty easily. Later, I realized a problem with my work laptop and wanted to double check the settings to make sure i had not disallowed VPN. when i enter 192.168.1.1/6 i get a blank screen with "done" indicated at the lower left. no password request, no text on the screen, nothing. any ideas?

Sounds like the routers are stacked with the same starting IP both routers are trying to use 192.168.1.1

One router should start on 192.168.1.1 the other should start on 192.168.2.1
stevenk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 19:26    Post subject: followup Reply with quote
just did some quick research. my TM router is set for 192.168.0.1. I knew that was the default but thought i had changed it to .1.1 because setting the CB that was flashed with WRT to .0.x didnt work - i couldnt access it. So, now i am able to get to the TM router using the .0.1 addy. still cant get to my CB though.

I used the .0.1 for the TM router and sure enough, got it to come up. (VPN by the way is not the issue, must be in my company settings.) anyway, still cant get to my flashed CB using .0.6, .0.1 (the TM comes up like it should)or .1.6. according to the setup, since my network works my CB should be set to .0.x, but i am almost certain i set it to .1.6. the CB is upstairs and i decided to config it and then go downstairs to change the TM router to .1.1. but the network started working almost immediately after applying the setting to the CB router so i left everything alone.

.0.6 posts a timeout error
.1.6 shows the white screen but no timeout. guess it isnt a major issue since the network is working, but would like to know what is going on. am hoping to get information on next build to bump the CB up to a wireless bridge since it is upstairs.
raiu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 19:40    Post subject: Re: followup Reply with quote
stevenk wrote:
just did some quick research. my TM router is set for 192.168.0.1. I knew that was the default but thought i had changed it to .1.1 because setting the CB that was flashed with WRT to .0.x didnt work - i couldnt access it. So, now i am able to get to the TM router using the .0.1 addy. still cant get to my CB though.

I used the .0.1 for the TM router and sure enough, got it to come up. (VPN by the way is not the issue, must be in my company settings.) anyway, still cant get to my flashed CB using .0.6, .0.1 (the TM comes up like it should)or .1.6. according to the setup, since my network works my CB should be set to .0.x, but i am almost certain i set it to .1.6. the CB is upstairs and i decided to config it and then go downstairs to change the TM router to .1.1. but the network started working almost immediately after applying the setting to the CB router so i left everything alone.

.0.6 posts a timeout error
.1.6 shows the white screen but no timeout. guess it isnt a major issue since the network is working, but would like to know what is going on. am hoping to get information on next build to bump the CB up to a wireless bridge since it is upstairs.

Do another 30/30/30 and go through the settings after it comes back up and go through one more time. I had to do it on mine a few times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: