problem with TJTAG flashing on bricked asus rt-n16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tripexio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:33    Post subject: problem with TJTAG flashing on bricked asus rt-n16 Reply with quote
hallo
i´m new in the forum and have not practice on debricking routers, the only tings i know on this issue its what i found here in dd-wrt.
Following the schematic at
http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/Asus_RT-N16 and info at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort "Using a mobile phone data cable (DB9 serial port types)" section, i have builded a serial cable on nokia DLR-3P, but i couldn´t use it because both HyTerminal and Putty (with the rigth setup on COM1 port), doesn´t recognize the device when hitting Ctrl-C on router power on (try few times) Sad ).
Then i build an unbuffered JTAG adapter (with 100ohm resistors) on a piece of parallel cable(15cm) to fix my bricked rt-n16 (tested and retested few times with ohmmeter), but after howers of trouble with starting giveio.sys on a old ASUS P4 motherboard with native Pport 378 EEC (BIOS), i´m now again faceing problems with C:\TJTAG 3-0-1. In within -probeonly and with few other swiches, by powering on the router each TJTAG session with Ctrl-C in between the first 4 sek., i´v tried to get trough the starting process, but no luck at all!!
The Tjtag starting process always get stocked on "Clearing Watchdog" as you see on my pictures!!!
I would very much appreciate any wise solution or ideeas..
thanks.. also for the very intersting forum You all have builded up.

MOD EDIT - PICTS of jtag adapter deleted. See forum rules on picture size. See also the jtag Wiki article and the /ncw switch

probeonly and probeonly+noreset.GIF
 Description:
problem with Clearing Watchdog,
 Filesize:  19.6 KB
 Viewed:  15085 Time(s)

probeonly and probeonly+noreset.GIF

Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
add /nocwd

tjtag3 -probeonly /nocwd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
now that i have used this switches, is the Clearing Watchdog bypassed, but as you can see on attached picts, the progress still freez on Probing flash at (flash window:xxx)!!
Have you any other ideeas?? ..need your help very much
many thk..

-probeonly+nocwd.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.8 KB
 Viewed:  15027 Time(s)

-probeonly+nocwd.GIF

-probeonly+nocwd+nodma+flash_debug.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.37 KB
 Viewed:  15027 Time(s)

-probeonly+nocwd+nodma+flash_debug.GIF

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The EJTAG IMPCODE you get is totally off and it furthermore changes between your runs.
It should be something like 00400140. Every time.

Try to change Bios LPT port settings and check that no other programs is using or has loaded a parallel port driver. HP Printer drivers are especially suspect.

There is no use in trying different command line switches until you can get a consistent and correct IMP CODE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
in Bios menu "Onboard devices config", the pport its adressed to 378 while the pport mode its in ECP..
i´ll try different settings in BIOS as you say.. i´ll keep you informed.. Arrow
can yuo please advise me shortly, on how to check that no other programs is using or has loaded my LTP1 parallel port driver??.. What should i look at and where??.. is it in the device manager you are talking about??Embarassed
i appreciate very much.. Wink .. thk

J1 on RT-N16 PCB.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.32 KB
 Viewed:  15016 Time(s)

J1 on RT-N16 PCB.gif

DB25.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.21 KB
 Viewed:  15016 Time(s)

DB25.gif

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look especially for installed printer software.

You should also remove the outer sleeve of your cable and space the wires apart - the jtag interface is intended for ribbon cable where signal wires has a gnd wire between them.
You don't need all ground wires as in a ribbon cable but your wires may pick up noise from each other when they are twisted together like they are now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I rebuilded the jtag adapter on 10wire flat cable, but still no step forward

Do you think that i have to sold GND also between J1 and connector´s metal chassis??

Keep give me an input or what ever, i will check that out
thk..appreciate
tripexio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry i forget it..
I have installed a vergin XP pro(sp2)from CD in a new partition on my HD, just for this case, without any service Pack update, antivirus, firewall or printer software what so ever
if you tell me what and where i shoul look for to check that no other programs is using or has loaded a parallel port driver, especially HP Printer drivers, i´ll look at it... thk
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't the RT-N16 require you to use buffered mode JTAG in order to work?

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it Question
does that mean that there is no other way to revive the rt-n16,other then with buffered interface??
eventually,can you point a place where i can find schematic for the buffered build??
what about the "serial" procedure?.. is there a hope for this procedure?
thk.. i appreciate very much what you do

Nokia DLR-3P (serial J2).gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  253.9 KB
 Viewed:  15833 Time(s)

Nokia DLR-3P (serial J2).gif

tripexio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry.. but i can´t find the info about wich size max. a pict.file should be, before attaching it on topic!!
JuiciPackets
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't the RT-N16 require you to use buffered mode JTAG in order to work?

Is this true? I've sent both a PM and an email to Tornado to ask him the same question but if anybody else knows the correct answer please feel free to chime in.

For reference, this is what I found so far on this topic:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=146568&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=34
Posted by Tornado: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:29 pm Post subject: DLC5
Quote:

DLC5 was broken in the software version 3.0.2, I think I have fixed it, that why I ask if you wanted to test it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63490&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=58
Posted by fggs: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 pm Post subject:
Quote:

Anyway, the first version of tjag that supported the RT-N16 CPU was broken for unbuffered cables. Tornado fixed it in a later version (3.0.2-RC5 if I recall).

But I'm not sure if this router (and E3000 which has the same CPU) really needs a buffered cable or it was needed just because tjtag software was broken for unbuffered cables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: