Cannot access GUI from internet when port forwarding

Goto page 1, 2  Next
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:33    Post subject: Cannot access GUI from internet when port forwarding Reply with quote
Due to some extraneous issues, I have had to change my network configuration so that DD-WRT is no longer handling any WAN functions. I have DD-WRT sitting behind my ADSL modem and it is acting as a DHCP server, a wireless access point and to use various other functionality (i.e. WOL, NAS, etc...).

I would like to be able to access my dd-wrt web admin interface from the internet.

I have port forwarded on my ADSL modem to the internal IP and port number of the dd-wrt router, but under no conditions can I bring up the web interface from an external IP.

I have moved my dd-wrt to different IP addresses. I have tried forwarding port 80 443 and others. I have enabled/disabled the web GUI admin and tried it with and without HTTPS functions.

What am I doing wrong?

I have another device on my network that has a web interface and if I port forward my ADSL modem to that device, I have no problems. So I don't think it is the configuration on my ADSL modem/NAT.
Sponsor
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
fromwithin your local network your DD-WRT router will be accessible through http://RouterLocalip. http use port 80 TCPugh http://RouterLocalip. http use port 80 TCP.

So all you have to do is to forward(in your modem UI) one external TCP port to the port 80 TCP of the RouterLocalip. If you already use port 80 for another device just make a tranlation (Ie: WanIP:85->RouterLocalip:80)

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
fromwithin your local network your DD-WRT router will be accessible through http://RouterLocalip. http use port 80 TCPugh http://RouterLocalip. http use port 80 TCP.

So all you have to do is to forward(in your modem UI) one external TCP port to the port 80 TCP of the RouterLocalip. If you already use port 80 for another device just make a tranlation (Ie: WanIP:85->RouterLocalip:80)

Yeah, I've already done that and it refuses to work.

Have you confirmed that this works in your situation and maybe it's something idiosynchratic to my modem/network?

If so, maybe a port issue. Is there an easy way to change the default port for the local web interace on dd-wrt?

EDIT: I changed the default lan port for DD-WRT to 81 and reset all the port forwards and it was still no dice. For some reason DD-wrt simply does not want to respond to and external IP attempting to connect to it via port forwarding
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure it works! Wink

I guess your trouble comes from your modem setting.

How did you set it? Bridged mode? Dynamic Wan IP ?

If it is set as Dynamic Wan Ip, this means you should also set your Isp Firewall to forward ports.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Sure it works! Wink

I guess your trouble comes from your modem setting.

How did you set it? Bridged mode? Dynamic Wan IP ?

If it is set as Dynamic Wan Ip, this means you should also set your Isp Firewall to forward ports.

My modem does a PPPOA dial-in and gets assigned a dynamic IP address and then reports it using DDNS. The modem is handling all of the NAT. I have a port forward setup on the modem from the WAN IP to my routerIP (which is on 192.168.1.1 and port 80).

I have disabled the firewall features on the modem as well.

I have other port forwarding rules that seem to work just fine.

My DD-WRT has the WAN disabled and is simply acting as a DHCP server and as a local wireless Access Point.

I have done port forwards many many times before and I just cannot understand why I am unable to reach my dd-wrt admin interface through the port forward. I have spent hours trying to make it work so far.

It is driving me nuts.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
pending on modem you use....

Some modem have, in addition with port forwarding, Servers rules pre-registered (ie: Webserver, SipServer, etc) where you just have to mention the local ip of server. I noticed in this case that port forwarding will not work on pre-defined port use for servers designation. So if it is your case you should choice server assignement(webserver if you look at port 80 TCP) instead of port forwarding.

spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
pending on modem you use....

Some modem have, in addition with port forwarding, Servers rules pre-registered (ie: Webserver, SipServer, etc) where you just have to mention the local ip of server. I noticed in this case that port forwarding will not work on pre-defined port use for servers designation. So if it is your case you should choice server assignement(webserver if you look at port 80 TCP) instead of port forwarding.

I'm using a draytek vigor 120.

It doesn't have pre-defined as far as I am aware.

I did consider that and thus tried moving the port on dd-wrt to port 81 to avoid this issue.

Unfortunately with no success.

This is a real head scratcher....
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
could you provide a screen copy of Configuration section of your dd-wrt router?
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
could you provide a screen copy of Configuration section of your dd-wrt router?

Not sure which page you want to see? This is from Setup>Basic:

And here's Administration>Management:

yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok so...

First you could disable "remote access"->"Web Gui Management" as you do not use the Wan port of your DD-wrt router.

Second...What is the Local IP of your modem?

Third is your DD-WRT router management accessible through http://192.168.1.1 ? or did you move the port to someone else than 80 ?

Could you make some screen copy of your modem management? Forward section and Local network section.

Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue I see from his pics is that he does not have a gateway IP set. Devices need a gateway specified so that they know what route to use to respond to requests.

Got OpenDNS?
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
My modem local IP is 192.168.1.254:81.

I had remote access enabled just in case, but whether that is enabled/disabled and even if I try forwarding the ports through towards 8080 for the remote web GUI it still doesn't work.

Local modem forward rules:

Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
I had remote access enabled just in case, but whether that is enabled/disabled and even if I try forwarding the ports through towards 8080 for the remote web GUI it still doesn't work.

Since your DD-WRT router's WAN connection is disabled you should be forwarding the port on the modem to port 80 of the DD-WRT device. The Remote Access section is for when the WAN connection is not disabled.

Got OpenDNS?
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
could you show us what "Open ports" and "Applications" is placed for? I think "Applications" could be what i told you fiew posts up (Pre-registered rules like webserver)
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
could you show us what "Open ports" and "Applications" is placed for? I think "Applications" could be what i told you fiew posts up (Pre-registered rules like webserver)

Applications sub-options are for DDNS, IGMP, UPNP so nothing there for port forwarding.

As the other poster mentioned, I did add the gateway of the dsl modem (192.168.1.254) to the local router's IP address section with no effect.

Incidentally, since DNSmasq is handling dhcp the actual gateway is set via the Services tab>Addtional DNSmasq options using this code:

dhcp-option=3,192.168.1.254

Finally, out of frustration, I pulled out an older ADSL modem and plugged it in, setup the port forwards on that and the dd-wrt still doesn't respond. So I've go two totally different ADSL modems handling the NAT and the WAN IP with port forwards setup and in both situations DD-WRT won't respond to an external port forwarded connection.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: