Setting up bridged network with Bell 2701HG-G Gateway modem

mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08    Post subject: Setting up bridged network with Bell 2701HG-G Gateway modem Reply with quote
Hey everybody, I have started reading the DDWRT documents for bridging networks and within the wiki pages it seems that they use 3rd party router hardware(2 linksys routers, netgear, so on) but not an ISP router with a Linksys device.
I have a bell network connection in my home which is great but I need to extend the network a bit. I can't run a cable to the Bell gateway modem due to it being closed off downstairs and requiring many holes to be drilled and cable dropped down to the basement.

Is it possible to configure the DDWRT enabled Linksys wrt310n to work in bridge mode with a Bell Gateway router/modem?
Has anybody tried this before? any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

I've followed one of the DDWRT guides and when in the process of changing my router SSID to the other network name, I would apply the settings and then the router would disappear from the network connections list.

any ideas?
Thank you
Sponsor
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much eibgrad

I will give it a shot in a bit and see how it works out.
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well after following the guide and doing some figuring out, I got the bridge to work.
There is a problem though with the connection. For some reason it got a connection last night then it seems like it dropped the connection and hasn't got it back since. This is after restarting my laptop and deleting the wireless network and putting in the key again.

I tried to configure the remote access configuration on my WHS server but it gave me exclamation marks on the configuration of UPnP standards on the router.
Also my wireless connection has an exclamation mark on it as well.
Any ideas what could be causing this connection to not be working?

It was working perfectly last night, via Ethernet cable or wireless.
The primary router IP is .2.1 and my Linksys is 2.2

I can get to both routers main pages, just cannot establish a internet connection
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey sorry for the delay. Had to take my network due to apartment renovations.

To my previous issue, I had it working before but only for a short period of time. Today I reset the DDWRT settings and configured the Client Bridge as the WIKI states.

The only thing I could NOT do is step 10:
Your wireless network mode, channel and encryption should be set to the same as the primary router.

When I did part 9(change wireless mode to Client Bridge) on step 10, I don't have any options for channel or encryption.

My Bell modem has 802.1B/G, so I set BG-Mixed, as I think that should be fine, but there is no spot for channel or encryption.

Here is the screen shot:

Now, I still continued on with the instructions and once everything is configured it worked but only for a few min. I am connected by ethernet and have the auto ip/dns setup and as I mentioned, it did work then the connection stopped.

Any suggestions?
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I figured that, thank you.

The encryption is set to WEP(same as my primary router)

Any suggestions on what I should look at? I'm not going to move onto the 'wireless repeater' and do the same as before.

I find it weird how it gives me a connection at first then it just drops. As you can see in my screen shot that I am connected to Bell284 but not getting a connection.
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
So here is what I've realized.

I am using a Dell m1530 laptop, whenver I plug into the router via ethernet it pretty much drops the internet connection.

If I have my other Sony Vaio laptop connected, the internet connection does NOT drop.

I am currently writing this with my Sony while my dell is unhooked from the router.

If I plug in my dell and sony to the router, the internet works on the Sony but not the Dell.

Another thing I noticed, I am using the Linksys WRT310n.

My Sony and my server are connected to the router, which the router displays 2 green computer logos. If I plug in my Dell to another port on the router, a blue computer logo on the router shows up.

If I switch ports on the router, the icon follows my dell.

WTF is this? Any idea? Why is the Linksys router following my dell connection? I would believe this is what is causing me not to get online with my Dell laptop.
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
I have no idea. Now you're introducing multiple computers, varying ports and leds, etc. No way for me to follow that much complexity from here. All I can address is how to get ONE computer working and prove the client bridge is configured correctly.

No worries man.

Actually as I am tryin to figure this out, I've noticed I lost connection and I'm on the Sony laptop and it's the only thing connected at this moment to the router.

Seems like this connection goes stable for a bit then keeps dropping regardless of the computer.

On the Sony, I just did CMD -- > IPCONFIG and my IP is a wonky 169.254.106.169
subnet 255.255.0.0
and no gateway.

I unplugged and pluged in the power with the Sony connected. Same thing, the IP is the same, same SN and no gateway.
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
So after having the Sony unplugged from the router, I hooked it back up via ethernet(wireless disabled) and its back online(I'm writing this on it).

I am getting a 192.168.2.xx IP, proper subnet and the default gateway from the Primary router
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Good, so the client bridge works. Hopefully it's reliable.

Sorry, my message was cut off.

I was writing the post above at the time and once again the connection dropped.

Would you know if there is a setting on the DDWRT firmware that might be causing this connection to keep dropping every so often?

Anything I should look at in your opinion?

****I did run wireshark to capture packets and see what's going on with the network.

At the IP Layer, I am getting a packet with a header checksum: 0x000 error(incorrect, should be 0x7053)

Does DDWRT have a way of logging activity? to determine what could be causing this irregular activity?

Last edited by mrrhtuner on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:29; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: