v23sp2 on wrt54-gl v1.1 big problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 16:54    Post subject: v23sp2 on wrt54-gl v1.1 big problems Reply with quote
I've been running v23sp2 on my wrt54-gl for literally years. no problems.

well, yesterday we had a looong power outage (about 12 hours) and when I bring up all the systems, I find that dd-wrt has done a "factory reset" without me having asked it to.

so here I am trying to revert to all my carefully chosen settings, and I find it is being extremely stubborn about letting me do that.

e.g., I disable wireless until I can get other settings in place. then I change the internal LAN address to 192.168.2.1 (what it has been set to for years), set the mask, gateway, nameservers, etc., turn off DHCP until later. reboot. it seems to now appear as 192.168.2.1. good. so I re-enable DHCP, set the parameters I want, click "save". it reboots and now I can't access the web page at 192.168.2.1 any more. yes, I've reset the static address on the (wired) connection I'm using. made sure that machine is using 192.168.2.x for its own address and 192.168.2.1 for the router. no joy.

so I reset the client to 192.168.1.x, bounce the network and voila, there's the router at 192.168.1.1 NOT WHERE I HAD TOLD IT TO BE!!! worse, it's changed its router name back to dd-wrt from what I had set it to. and it has re-enabled wireless. and reset all the other changes I had made, too.

I've just gone thru this 3 or 4 times and I'm getting tired of re-doing the same thing over and over.

what the heck am I doing wrong here?

I also have a rant (see below) but I'd much rather have a solution to the issue above, before we digress onto my rant.

thanks all!
----------------

[oh and if you wonder why I havent upgraded to v24, it's because of all the hard-to-follow articles in forums (including but not necessarily limited to the "peacock thread") and wiki for how to put v24 on this router. there is conflicting (or at least unclear to me) advice on many things not the least of which is WHICH BUILD TO INSTALL.

can someone who has a clue please post a simplified--condensed--and accurate article so I don't have to draw charts of which article gave which advice so I can simply
figure out which build I should be using? I'd REALLY appreciate it! ]
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just follow the peacock announcement. Notes 1, 3, 4 and 18. Any articles or information that contradict it can be ignored. Seems you missed the save/apply info, but perhaps v.23 is different.

But you asking me what build you should install on your router is like me asking you what car should I buy. & Please give me a simple answer.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...if V23sp2 has been working well for you...no need to change it.

But...what I would do first is check that power pack. It sounds to me like your power supply is either weak...or you have some bad capacitors in either the power pack or the router itself. These things don't run forever and since you're running v23sp2....you've likely been running for at least 5 years.

try a 30/30/30 reset and make sure you click SAVE after each change on the tabs.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
And...if you really want to use a V24 build....download this file.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

1 - do a 30/30/30 reset on your router.
2 - navigate to the firmware update tab and tell it to use this file you downloaded.
3 - wait a full 5 minutes...then power cycle the router.
4 - do another 30/30/30 reset and wait for it to boot up.
5 - access it at 192.168.1.1....and start your configuration....click save after each tab changed...
6 - when you complete your configuration...click save then click Apply....wait 2 minutes...now power cycle again....that should be it.

Can't get any more clear than that....first thing though...check that power pack...put a volt meter on the barrel connector inside the router when its plugged in...make sure you have 11.7V - 12.4V on that barrel connector.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
...put a volt meter on the barrel connector inside the router when its plugged in...make sure you have 11.7V - 12.4V on that barrel connector.

And... check it with the meter set to A/C. If you have more than .2 volts A/C then replace the power pack.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks redhawk0 and everyone else.

I finally managed, somehow, to get it to stick. it seems that if I change some settings on the main setup page, save it, let it reboot, then go change more on the same page, save it let it reboot, it then has reverted to "factory defaults". I went thru it a buncha times. finally I just made every change on that page I needed and didn't go back there again. so for the moment it is now working.

I'll be sure to check the power brick, too.

Re upgrading to v24, I seem to recall having heard of some security issues not fixed in v23 but fixed in v24, so it's probably a good idea to upgrade. I've just found the lengthy discussion to be unclear (to my aging gray cells....), so I appreciate the concise steps you gave me.

thanks again for all the suggestions!
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 said to use this one: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

and I wonder if the vpn version (instead of std) would work on the wrt54gl, or is it too big for the limited memory?

thanks!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
To understand how this works, I again invite you to read the peacock announcement, note 4 which explains what size builds fit onto which size flash chips. Basically, if that bin file is smaller than the flash chip size, it will fit and it will work.

I still think that your original problem were failing to hit "apply".

Note 1 of the peacock also gives you clear instructions on how to upgrade.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanksforthefurtherhints.

Idon't plan to upgrade unless and until I'm able to make it reliable.

Per previous postings, I looked into the power supply issue. Without taking it apart (so I could put a meter on the power feed), I looked around and found at least two other wall-warts that would do (the original is 12v 1000ma, I have two at 12v 4A), so I unplugged the original and plugged in a replacement and voila, when it came back up it had reset itself again. Sad

using the "new" power brick didn't improve things at all. Spent another two hours futzing with it to get it working again. Sad Sad

if by "hit apply" you mean the "save settings" button at the bottom of the "basic setup" page, then I did hit it. it then reboots the router. once the power light stops blinking, unplug the router, give it a couple of seconds for good luck then plug it in again. eventually it came back up with the settings I had made, so I quit messing with it.
metricus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
My 2c here:

Do an upgrade as recommended to 14929. it only takes a few minutes. You can always revert back if you see that the upgrade did not fix things.
just make sure you do the 30-30-30 reset every time and that you let it stabilize after a reset before unplugging the power.

Just a wild question: did you try accessing it with a different browser?
fredex1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, some time has gone by but I now have an update.

I limped along on it, as it was last reported here, for a few weeks, til necessity required I power it down and back up once more.

after doing that I COULD NOT get the correct settings to stick. My entire family was standing there staring at me waiting for the internet to come back up Sad I had killed AT LEAST two hours trying again and again to get it going.

so in desperation I pulled out an old junk PC and installed Smoothwall Express (which I used to use before buying this linksys router) and got the internet back up (sans wireless).

so, tonight I had some time to fool with the linksys router. I opened it up and measured the voltage on the power jack: 12.22 volts. seems good to me so I put it back together and proceeded to do a firmware upgrade from v23 sp2 to the 2.4 build recommended in this thread.

the only trouble I had was that after uploading the firmware and doing the 30/30/30 reset, the power light remained blinking for 15-20 minutes before I tried another 30/30/30. after this one it came right back up, and reported v24 sp2.

I then entered all my settings, click save after changing each page, then when done clicked apply. it thought for a little while and came back up. so I did a power cycle, waited til it was back up then disconnected it and took it into the "server room" (a closet in another room).

disconnected the Smoothwall PC, connected the linksys, rebooted the cable modem, connected to it with a browser and I could access it, still at the right address (i.e., it hadn't reset itself to defaults).

but for some reason I don't yet know traffic wasn't going out onto the internet. I may have had something set wrong, but it wasn't obvious what it was. or maybe my ISP is just picky about which MAC address it talks to. so I did the MAC address clone of the internet-facing card's (in smoothwall) MAC address. didn't help. change some other minor setting. clicked save then apply. did a power off and restart. whoops--suddenly it wasn't responding at the correct address anymore. Sad Sad Sad

at this point I put smoothwall back into service and disconnected the linksys. guess it's time to find a new router.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for a good router that's supported on dd-wrt, has G and N networking (including 5GHz), and can be adquired for not much more than a hundred bucks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: