WR840N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
While waiting for an official build from Brainslayer, here is the file jsteng tested

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

I guess after updating to dd-wrt with this file i can update to the latest dd-wrt through the dd-wrt webgui?
If so, which one do I need, the 2.6 kernel or the 2.4?

Donater
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can update via webgui when Brainslayer makes a new public build.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
You can update via webgui when Brainslayer makes a new public build.

Ah I see, other ahteros ones wont work once this one has been flashed? And which build would that be, which kernel I mean Smile

If not i guess I just have to wait ages for new builds because it has been months ago since BS build a new one Sad

BrainSlayer is still active right?

Donater
jsteng
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its been a month, and only 1 mysterious outage.

very solid
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just returned home, but my mate is still in China and he reports that wireless has stopped working...

Reboot didn't help...

Donater
jsteng
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
As my screen shot displayed, I am using:

Router Model TP-Link TL-WR841ND v7
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/13/11) std - build 16785
shiggins9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 19:20    Post subject: OpenVPN version? Reply with quote
Thanks jsteng for sharing the version you use.

Did anyone flash a firmware that supports OpenVPN? I really want to use Astrill with my TP-Link TL-WR840N
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
@shiggins9: I am wondering that too...

@all: are we able to flash the latest dd-wrt (the one from september) now we've flashed the initial dd-wrt?

Donater
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:

@all: are we able to flash the latest dd-wrt (the one from september) now we've flashed the initial dd-wrt?

Read my post from 27 october (6-7 posts up).
Is it difficult to understand what I wrote?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
cyberde wrote:

Read my post from 27 october (6-7 posts up).
Is it difficult to understand what I wrote?

Now now, no need to get agitated Wink

It's just a simple question since with many routers you have a special initial flash image and afterwards you can flash the generic for the chipset (like broadcom or atheros). It so happens that also this one is a special initial flash image.

So do you understand what i mean?

Donater
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:

Now now, no need to get agitated Wink

It's just a simple question since with many routers you have a special initial flash image and afterwards you can flash the generic for the chipset (like broadcom or atheros). It so happens that also this one is a special initial flash image.

So do you understand what i mean?

No, I don't understand what you mean and users ignorance of informing themselves, thereby deliberately dumbing themselves down, makes me upset.

There is no generic Atheros build, there are only router specific builds and there is no dd-wrt platform where you can use firmware builds created before the router became supported.

I have modified an older build so it worked on the router and Brainslayer added build support 16 oct.

When I released the test file, I did that "while waiting for an official build from Brainslayer"

My previuos reply to you was that "You can update via webgui when Brainslayer makes a new public build."[/b]

You will sooner or later end up with a bricked router if you choose to be an ignorant user..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
No, I don't understand what you mean and users ignorance of informing themselves, thereby deliberately dumbing themselves down, makes me upset.

There is no need to start calling me ignorant for just asking a simple question for getting more info (isn't that what this forum is for anyway?).

LOM wrote:

There is no generic Atheros build, there are only router specific builds and there is no dd-wrt platform where you can use firmware builds created before the router became supported.

I know that support has to be integrated. But it already is for the WR841N.

LOM wrote:
I have modified an older build so it worked on the router and Brainslayer added build support 16 oct.

When I released the test file, I did that "while waiting for an official build from Brainslayer"

All you did was modifying the header so the TP-LINK software would accept the image while upgrading, right? If not, I misunderstood.

LOM wrote:
My previuos reply to you was that "You can update via webgui when Brainslayer makes a new public build."[/b]

And the reason I asked that is because this TP-LINK has the same specifications as the TP-LINK WR841N. Thus the WR841N firmware would work on this one.
And with my old Linksys WRT54GS you had to flash the WRT54GS specific image first (coming from stock firmware) and after that you could flash any generic broadcom image in the future.

LOM wrote:

You will sooner or later end up with a bricked router if you choose to be an ignorant user..

And that's the reason I ask before taking any action Wink

So that was basically my queston: Can I do the same with the TP-LINK as I used to do with my WRT54GS?
Your answer being NO.

I did search and this is my first atheros router, hence the question.

Cheers and don't get yourself all wound up, it's bad for your health Wink

Donater
shiggins9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this router isn't so straight forward. At the electronics market, I pulled up the DD-WRT supported routers page and saw the WR840N listed but I didn't realize it was greyed out until I got home.

So it's not officially supported and no one here seems to know how to flash a build with OpenVPN. It has 4MB of Rom size, so this feasibly could be possible, right?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
shiggins9 wrote:

So it's not officially supported and no one here seems to know how to flash a build with OpenVPN. It has 4MB of Rom size, so this feasibly could be possible, right?

It is officially supported since oct 16 but there has not been any public builds released since then.

OpenVPN is not included in any Atheros 4MB flash builds, there is not space for it, buy an 8MB flash router if you want more functions from dd-wrt than basic router functions.

You can also run OpenWRT where you are able to cook your own soup ie remove functions that are not important for you so you get room for OpenVPN.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - DIR-615 and ipkg / openvpn
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - OpenVPN Server on DIR-615

Navigation

Jump to: