WRT310n V2 DDWRT firmware install....some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:04    Post subject: WRT310n V2 DDWRT firmware install....some questions Reply with quote
Hey everybody, I've had a friend help me flash a router before in the past but this time I'm flying solo and using the wiki guide.

I have a few questions though if you guys don't mind clarifying.

Following this guide:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT310N_v2.0

Step 1 is the choose the 'trailed' version. I decided to get the 15940 so I followed the link and downloaded the file:
broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-15940_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2.bin

I then move onto Step 2, which wants you to download the generic release.

I read that my wrt310n has 4mb flash so a mini(safe) or the standard firmware should be fine. It says to download the desired generic release

Since I already went with the 15940 in Step 1, I figured I would go with the 15940 for the generic release.
I click on the FTP link and it takes me to a list of broadcom_k26 files release 15940.

The file to download is listed as:
dd-wrt.v24-15940_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2.bin

which is the same thing as I downloaded in step 1.

Well anyways, I figure it might be written out wrong and the file from step 1 will work with step 2, sort of a dual-functionality.

I flash my wrt310n with the rest of the guide and I load into the ddwrt page after the installation is complete, I can see all of the settings. I went in and firstly changed the username and password on the new firmware.

Following the last step on the DDWRT310n v2 page, it says to update the final/generic firmware you downloaded from above.

So what do I do now? do I re-flash it with the same file? or am I done?

I hope this isn't too confusing the way I've written it out. Please let me know and I will try to do my best to explain my question(s) again.

Thank you
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
2. Download the desired generic release for the final flash (filename will not have wrt310nv2 in the name Be sure you understand which version (mini, small etc) is compatible with this router. Read Note 4 in the Peacock thread and then reference the K26 Comparison Table

You appear to have missed several important points in those instructions.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Quote:
2. Download the desired generic release for the final flash (filename will not have wrt310nv2 in the name Be sure you understand which version (mini, small etc) is compatible with this router. Read Note 4 in the Peacock thread and then reference the K26 Comparison Table

You appear to have missed several important points in those instructions.

That's what I don't understand. I realize the filename won't be the same of the final flash, but I'm not sure what file I need for the generic relase.

Using this page:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
the wrt310n has the 4mb flash and it states I can use the standard build (Linux kernel 2.4) or the small build (Linux kernel 2.6).

It also states If you have 4mb of flash, you can use any mini or standard build as long as you get the newd/vint OR K26 (for routers that require it) choice right (see below in this note).

Looking at the k26 comparission page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_%22DD-WRT%22%3F#V24_pre_sp2_K26

it shows the differences but I am not sure where to get the STD file from for my wrt310n

This FTP with the 15940 release files shows a few STD listings, but some are STD_USB_NAS or STD_nokaid_small and I am not sure which one I would want?

In other words, I would like to use a firmware that offers me the most features possible.

Any advice you can offer me? I am pretty confused upto this point.

thank you
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
After trying to figure this out, since I am safe to use a mini or a std k2.6 build, would the STD USB NAS be good? or is there one on the k2.6 build features page that would be better?

The reason I'm getting confused is some of these k2.6 builds are listed ast STD USB(I don't have USB on my router) NAS, OpenVPN,VOIP,BIG etc...

I realize as I mentioned before that my router will work with the mini and std builds, but will any mini release work? minihotsport/mini usb/mini USB nas?

There isn't just a 'STD' release it seems like as there is a 'MINI' release without anything else added.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read note 4 carefully, you will see there is a link to "file versions" that explains the difference between each file type. Obviously you don't want a generic USB build if you don't have a USB on your router.

Perhaps you should read note 3 as well.....and the rest of the required reading while you are on the page.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mrrhtuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
If you read note 4 carefully, you will see there is a link to "file versions" that explains the difference between each file type. Obviously you don't want a generic USB build if you don't have a USB on your router.

Perhaps you should read note 3 as well.....and the rest of the required reading while you are on the page.

I have already read the document, so I have a grasp on how this process works BUT I am stuck on the k2.6 builds.

in note 4, the k2.6 build page just shows the release and what each mini/open/std/big/mega release has in it.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_%22DD-WRT%22%3F#File_Versions

I've already re-read each of the pages and the main peacock thread.

so on the K2.6 Build Features page, would I be better off going with the MINI or the STD NoKaid Small release? since the STD USB NAS is I'm guessing for routers with the USB storage port? Since those are the only two STD releases there.

Mini Hotspot, is that a build somebody would use if they are having the router act as a hotspot?
Nibas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a Lynksys WRT310N V2 and I applied: dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2.bin

then I applied: dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

using the instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT310N_v2.0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea I had applied the std_nokiad_small but then I was told it might be unstable to use so I reverted to mini.

Wheather that is correct or not, I'm not sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: