Can't access 2nd router in two router setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
x1st
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:38    Post subject: Can't access 2nd router in two router setup Reply with quote
I've got two routers wired together from one side of the house to the other to extend the footprint of our wireless here in the house. The primary router is the DHCP, WAP, DSL modem in one. The 2nd is running dd-wrt, has its own SSID and DHCP is turned off. Everything is working beautifully, except I can't access the 2nd router, via the gui (192.168.1.1), or ping, etc... The primary router is at 192.168.1.254 and both have the same subnet.

Should I just reset the router with the default button and try again? Will the button even work? Or is their an easier way to access the 2nd router?
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect you have the second router connected to the first over its WAN port, thus its firewall is preventing access if you attempt to access if from the WAN side (i.e., any client connected to the primary router). That's a mistake. The routers should be connected LAN to LAN.
x1st
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
the 2nd router is not connected via the WAN port. It is connected to out of the primary router (port 3/lan) into the 2nd (port 1/lan). WAN is empty.

I've used nmap and can locate the router, but I can not ssh into it and browsing to 192.168.1.1 fails as well.

Holding the reset button on the back for 30 seconds did nothing also.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't make sense then. This is a pretty basic configuration as these things go. All you're doing is adding a second WAP. And all that requires is that you connect them LAN to LAN, disable the second router's DHCP server (so it doesn't conflict w/ the primary router's DHCP server), and give the second router an IP address in the same subnet as the primary router (and otherwise not in use elsewhere, either statically or via DHCP). That's all there is to it.

Of course, if you're holding the reset button for 30 secs, that should return the router to factory defaults, and you'd need to reconfigure the router as described above. Did you do that?
x1st
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I know. Pretty straight forward. It doesn't make sense. The only thing I can think of is the primary router is preventing it somehow.

I was able to reset the router back to defaults and then I reconfigured it based on this wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

I assigned the 2nd router 192.168.2.1 this time. The primary router has the dsl modem, etc in it and doesn't allow you to set a DHCP range. I picked 192.168.2.1 figuring that might have been the issue earlier, but afterwards I still can't access it via ssh or a browser.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some questions to ponder ?

What brand / model router have you got ??

If you set a static IP address on your PC (or similar) which is in the same subnet as the second router and only those two devices are connected, what happens ?

Can you ping, access web, telnet etc ?

I have had probs with some hardware and the 30-30-30 reset. Sometimes its power up, count to 3 then hold the reset for a given amount of time 12 secs say and wait.

Play, learn and report back
Cheers
Chris
x1st
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Primary Router:
Thompson Gateway TG585 v8
Secondary:
Rosewill RNX-GX4 (off NewEgg same as a Netcore NW618)

The router itself should be a static IP. I assigned it 192.168.2.1 since the primary router doesn't allow me to change the DHCP range. 192.168.1.1 had the same results.

Ping, ssh, telnet, none of that works.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont know those routers personally.

With the badly behaved unit, have you done a factory reset and tested it as a stand alone unit ??

/C
x1st
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. It works great now, and works great stand alone. Only one minor exception. I can't get back to the router via ssh/telnet/web-interface once it is connected to another DHCP router.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
So are you linking WAN <-> LAN or LAN <-> LAN ??

Sorry if you have explained this before, but I am in crashed MS SBS 2008 Hell and a little distracted.

/C
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
x1st wrote:
I've used nmap and can locate the router, but I can not ssh into it and browsing to 192.168.1.1 fails as well.

SSH is disabled by default but telnet and http is enabled.

x1st wrote:
I assigned the 2nd router 192.168.2.1 this time. The primary router has the dsl modem, etc in it and doesn't allow you to set a DHCP range. I picked 192.168.2.1 figuring that might have been the issue earlier, but afterwards I still can't access it via ssh or a browser.

This is a major mistake that the WAP guide explains. The IP must be an unused IP in the same subnet as your main router or else nothing will know how to find it. Are you sure nothing else was using 192.168.1.1? You must either hard reset it or manually configure one of your PC's to be in the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet to be able to reach it now so that you can reconfigure its IP to be in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

x1st
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
5th time is a charm!

This time rather than following the wiki, i went with the intuitive method and now have a working solution.

The primary DHCP router is located at 192.168.1.254. I left the dd-wrt secondary router at 192.168.1.1 (I had done this on the original attempt but it still wouldn't find the router.)

I suspect the settings in the GUI that are defaulted to off/disabled may have been an issue and I don't remember if on the first time I had changed these.

Either way here is what I did in-case anyone else finds this post and is having the same problem.

This is for a wired connection to my primary router which handles DHCP. I also was wired into the router for the setup (don't plug into the WAN port on the router for upstream connections, only use the PC/LAN ports for both upstream and then to the individual computers)

For reference: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std (SVN revision 14896)

Setup -> Basic Setup
Connection Type - Disabled
Router IP - 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 (Same subnet as my primary router and not within the DHCP range. Primary router is a DSL/WAP modem/router in one and I can't control the DHCP range which is 192.168.1.65-254)
Gateway & Local DNS - left empty
DHCP Server - Disabled (radio button)
DNSMasq options - Deselect both

SAVE

Setup -> Advanced Routing
Operating Mode - Router

SAVE

Wireless - configure this later after getting a working solution.

Services -> Services
DNSMasq - Disabled
Secure Shell - SSHd - enable
Telnet - Enable
traff Daemon - Disabled

SAVE

Security -> Firewall (I left everything default)
SPI Firewall - I left enabled

SAVE

Administration -> Management
Web Access
- Enable info Site - Enable
- Info Site Password Protection - Enabled
- Info Site MAC Masking - Enable

Remote Access
- Web GUI Management - Enable
- SSH Management- Enable
- Telnet Management - Enable
- Allow Any Remote IP - Enable

SAVE
APPLY SETTINGS

Hope that helps.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Happy days Very Happy for you

Thanks for the post back

Glad you didn't have to use a bigger hammer Twisted Evil

/C
CassarJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 13:40    Post subject: I'm having simular issues Reply with quote
I'll see if your step through works for me

Thanks for the post
CassarJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 20:19    Post subject: worked great Reply with quote
thanks again for the walk through!
Quck Edit:

You can use the Internet port (to connect to the other router)

Just click the Assign WAN Port to Switch in the basic setup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: