802.11n transfer speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lonjim2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 16:52    Post subject: 802.11n transfer speeds Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I notice that whenever I attempt to transfer a file to my NAS from my laptop, the traffic maxes out at 20 mbps. The same operation from a wired LAN connection gives me about 100mpbs -- a.k.a. "fast" ethernet. I attempted to flip over my wireless network mode to N-only, but I still only max out at 20 mpbs. Is there an additional area that I must activate?

Router: Linksys WRT-300N v. 1.0
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std

Any and all guidance is most appreciated!
Sponsor
SHoTTa35
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
20Mbps sounds like the max of 802.11G. Even though you said you did switch to N Only mode i'll ask anyways.

What link rate does it show in your client? Are you using WPA2/AES with WMM turned on?

Ok now those silly questions out the way, if I assume those are yes you can try turning off CTS and also turn on Frame Bursting.

Using my E4200 i get about 100Mbps over 5Ghz WLAN - about 80Mbps over 2.4Ghz (tons of other APs in the area).
lonjim2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
SHoTTa35 wrote:
20Mbps sounds like the max of 802.11G. Even though you said you did switch to N Only mode i'll ask anyways.

What link rate does it show in your client? Are you using WPA2/AES with WMM turned on?

Ok now those silly questions out the way, if I assume those are yes you can try turning off CTS and also turn on Frame Bursting.

Using my E4200 i get about 100Mbps over 5Ghz WLAN - about 80Mbps over 2.4Ghz (tons of other APs in the area).

HI SHoTTa35 and thank you for all the suggestions.

the essentials:
Client link rate mirrors what I see in dd-wrt (18-20 Mbps...only one wireless client connected...did jump to 30 when I switched channels)
Yes to N only mode.
WPA2 personal has been enabled.
WMM has been turned on
Frame bursting is on and CTS has been disactivated.

I initially thought that this might be tied into the fact that I am using the router as a repeater bridge, but I switched it to AP mode and am still getting the same behavior.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you set your Channel width to 40 Mhz ?
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
SHoTTa35
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait so how far are you from the AP again? If it's only saying 20Mbps then you are either too far or just have a ton of noise in the area.
lonjim2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
did you set your Channel width to 40 Mhz ?

This option is not available in AP mode. I did however, reset the router and test it at 40 Mhz in AP mode and saw no improvement. Reverting it to 20 Mhz doubled my rate to 40 Mbps.
lonjim2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
SHoTTa35 wrote:
Wait so how far are you from the AP again? If it's only saying 20Mbps then you are either too far or just have a ton of noise in the area.

I'm about ten feet away. Ran Net Stumbler and there's about 6 APs in the area, all with different channels.

I'm wondering if using Repeater Bridge mode is causing all of my problems...
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
lonjim2 wrote:

This option is not available in AP mode. I did however, reset the router and test it at 40 Mhz in AP mode and saw no improvement. Reverting it to 20 Mhz doubled my rate to 40 Mbps.

Chanel width is available when you set Wifi Mode including N.

with 20Mhz chanel width wireless bandwidth should not exceed 62 mbps in N mode, with 40Mhz it allow 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps.

If you are Ten feet away from your router and getting only 20 Mbps when perfectly set, Maybe you have a device that bother your wifi. Try moving your router another place to check.

Check your computer wireless card too.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
lonjim2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
lonjim2 wrote:

Chanel width is available when you set Wifi Mode including N.

with 20Mhz chanel width wireless bandwidth should not exceed 62 mbps in N mode, with 40Mhz it allow 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps.

If you are Ten feet away from your router and getting only 20 Mbps when perfectly set, Maybe you have a device that bother your wifi. Try moving your router another place to check.

Check your computer wireless card too.

Is there another way to set the channel width, by chance? I can only access it in AP mode and not in repeater bridge mode.

Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 1.39.09 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.23 KB
 Viewed:  13345 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2011-10-07 at 1.39.09 PM.png

yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, through nvram value...

Code:
nvram set wl0_nbw="40" ; nvram commit ;

Last edited by yzy-oui-fi on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:50; edited 2 times in total
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or you could do it the "proper" way and use WDS...

I don't understand why people don't grasp the concept of a transparent (layer 2) wireless connection...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network#Broadcom_Based_Devices

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most of the time because their main AP doesn't support WDS.
AnyWay i fully agree with you....I pray WDS god Every day, and WDS god give me nice reply every day! Wink

As Soon it is possible WDS is the Hit solution! Anyway, i'm not sure our friend have a WDS supported main AP, so...we should manage with durty-dummy repeater kind... Wink

Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
Most of the time because their main AP doesn't support WDS.

Seems somebody decided to remove the list of confirmed WDS working routers...

Sash...What a joke..

I edited the page with an "optional" Wink link to confirmed working devices..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=WDS_Linked_router_network&diff=prev&oldid=40906

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
foxale08
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:

Actually you can get up to 130mbit/144mbit(short guard) with two spacial streams in a 20mhz channel. (most consumer N equipment with the exception of smartphones support two spacial streams)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are right!

The througput i mentioned was for 1 spacial GN Mode(~62 Mbps). Appologies i was looking at a WRT150n...here it is WRT300n

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: