DD-WRT support for verizon 7501 bulit by westell

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
xur17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got one of these from Cincinnati Bell for my internet. Any ideas on how to change the dns addresses (to google dns)?

I tried editing this page, but I have to disable the DHCP Client on the WAN port, which makes me not receive an IP address on the WAN port / not have internet.

I did manage to get telnet access to the router if anyone knows what files to modify. I tried all of the obvious choices, including /etc/resolv.conf, /var/etc/resolv.conf, /var/etc/nameservers.
Sponsor
WOLISTRICKY
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26    Post subject: WOL with Verizon Westell 7501 Reply with quote
I am looking for some help getting WOL working with the Verizon\Westell 7501 router. WOL is fine from within the LAN. If I try to wake up the sleeping PC from the WAN (using one of the websites for sending magic packets) it will wake the sleeping PC for about 2 minutes after the PC goes to sleep. If I wait more than about two minutes to send the magic packets, the PC will not wake up. If is as if the router has forgot about the sleeping PC, but, it hasn't completely forgot it because I can send the magic packet from a PC on the LAN and all work fine.

Is there some way through Lemonade or custom script or otherwise to fix this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
tkg_1993
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 18:28    Post subject: unable to stay connected Reply with quote
I used the script posted by ghoffman. It works for few hours and then it loosed connection from my main router and thus cannot print. If I restart this router, it establish connection. any idea why it keeps loosing connection? I am using WPA2 Personal with AES.

thanks
icecoldstar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what's the word here? does this router work with dd-wrt? I want to upgrade the stock firmware to dd-wrt, can I do that now? I simply hate the stock firmware.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00    Post subject: Developer-Friendly Linux Distributions Reply with quote
link626 wrote:

yeah. i installed the 'live' version of fedora. it was missing a ton of stuff.

i did "yum install gcc", but i still got errors. So clearly i'm still missing a lot.

Does debian lenny64 come with all the tools, or do you have to download them afterwards?

I just want a linux that can be used to compile.

is it better to just install the small puppy linux builds, then download all the tools later?

Both Gentoo and Arch Linux are developer-centric and require the standard Linux toolchains (gcc, glibc, binutils, make, autoconf, yacc/bison, etc...) as part of their base distribution. Cool
cgigate
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
icecoldstar wrote:
So what's the word here? does this router work with dd-wrt? I want to upgrade the stock firmware to dd-wrt, can I do that now? I simply hate the stock firmware.

this router is dead out, no dd-wrt for it, period!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
i managed to flash openwrt to a 7500 which is similar to the 7501.

Instructions and all files needed are here:

http://hanschan.no-ip.org:8080/wiki/index.php/Openwrt_on_Westell_7500
inder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is really awesome. I had originally got this router to use as a printserver but had lost interest by the time davy_gravy figured out the stuff. I think I'd still like to convert it to an internet radio player a la Megaohm who used an Asus Wl-520 GU running OpenWRT. I hope you wouldn't mind answering a few basic questions. 1) Do you think it's feasible since I'm not sure you got the USB working. 2) Is it possible to flash OpenWRT using just the serial port. What's the advantage / necessity of using JTAG? 3) There are lots of wigglers available - anything in particular to lok for in deciding. I suppose you hooked it up to the parellel port in your 64 bit Ubuntu box. would a USB connection do as well. I'll be grateful for any and all detail you can provide. TIA.
hansc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi inder

1) mine is a 7500, so there's no USB connector soldered on the PCB. there are clearly empty pads for an USB socket and some missing components. i'm pretty sure USB should work for a 7501 with Openwrt. there are many routers with the same SoC with working USB under Openwrt.

2) the westell bootloader lacks a lot of functionality. so need to replace that with the generic broadcom cfe. once that's done, you can try serial console and hooking tftp thru the 7501 WAN port. sadly the 7500 has no WAN port so i had to do it the hard way (JTAG all the way). if you can do tftp and serial console that will save you some time flashing the firmware. but, in order to replace the bootloader you need JTAG anyway.

3) an USB wiggler should work as long as tjtag_w7501 supports it.

fill free to ask for more details. just don't wanna see westells joining the landfill.

i'm playing around with the tp-link TL-WR703N, you may want to check that out.
inder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for your offer to help. I am very much of a noob. In fact I have to start figuring out whether I should get a standard jtag cable (2x10 connectors) or try to find something with 2x7 connectors and how to use the pinout information collected by daveygravy. Is there a way we could take this discussion off forum since no one else seems to be interested?
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
hansc wrote:

2) the westell bootloader lacks a lot of functionality. so need to replace that with the generic broadcom cfe. once that's done, you can try serial console and hooking tftp thru the 7501 WAN port. sadly the 7500 has no WAN port so i had to do it the hard way (JTAG all the way). if you can do tftp and serial console that will save you some time flashing the firmware. but, in order to replace the bootloader you need JTAG anyway.

i'm playing around with the tp-link TL-WR703N, you may want to check that out.

hi-
i see that the westell firmware has no mtd utilities. my 7501 does have a usb port so i put mtd-erase, mtd-write, mtd-unlock and your cfe and firmware image on a usb, and tried to use the mtd utilities to flash new firmware.

i thought mtd-erase and then mtd-write would do it.

however, i got error messages from the mtd utilities that said
unexpected "("

i used mtd from linux 2.6.22; the verizon firmware is 2.6.8.1.

what else is needed to get the mtd utilities working?

this would be a way to avoid tjtag.....

thanks
inder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ghoffman, Any progress on this? With the upcoming holidays, it might be good to get this working. TIA
rajeshh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
jacob019 wrote:
Yes, leave everything in the script. You should just copy the script as is and only change the settings section.

Hi: I have had this router sitting for a couple of years now, and started looking at it this week to try and set it up as an "extension" to my wireless network at home.

I think I would like it setup like what is being described here as a "client bridge". It should wirelessly connect to my main router ( which runs dd-wrt), and then wired and wireless clients of the Westell should be able to get IP address from the main router, and connect to the internet.

I managed to experiment with enough of the commands here via telnet to get the westell to wirelessly connect to the main router, have a wired PC connected to the Westell connect to the internet. Of course, I didnt have the keep alive stuff, so sometime later the connection has dropped, which is fine.

Before proceeding with this, I wanted to point out some diffferences of my setup with others and also have more clarifications:

a) First off, when I check using: brctl show before running any of the scripts ( but after making the public LAN enabled, and private LAN disabled), I see

br1 that has the eth1.3, wl0 and usb0 interfaces mapped to it; and br0 only has the wl0.1

1)
Can someone explain in common man's terms what is the difference between wl0.1 and wl0? In dd-wrt world, I have heard of it is a virtual interface. Is that what it is here? What does it accomplish?
Most of the scripts here are disabling that interface.

2) I see we turn off the ap mode, by doing:

wl ap 0.

But how is this then accepting wireless client connections? Isnt that what an AP does?
(Btw, what does sta stand for)?

3)If this is accepting wireless client connections,what is the SSID it is accepting? Is it the same as the main router? Am I not doing anything in the web interface to set any of the SSId etc? Is there an option to set a different SSId, channel etc for the wireless clients of the Westell?

Thanks in advance for the answers, and good work already done.
anyone_around
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there some definitive reason why DD WRT will never be on this Westell router? I have several of these routers and it would be great to get DD WRT on them, or even something lighter like Tomato.

Thanks
victorhidalgo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44    Post subject: Samba, swap file and Transmission BT Reply with quote
Samba, swap file and transmission BT for our verizon 7501.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=168263
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 53 of 55
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: