Antenna mod for e2000?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
munkle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:48    Post subject: Antenna mod for e2000? Reply with quote
I have been looking for an antenna mod for the e2000. Closest thing I have found is this ebay seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/7dBi-Antenna-Mod-Kit-Linksys-E2000-No-soldering-/350426275529

But I have giant antennas from my wrt54g. Is there a place I can get the adapters cheaper than ebay?
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 18:14    Post subject: Re: Antenna mod for e2000? Reply with quote
munkle wrote:
Is there a place I can get the adapters cheaper than ebay?

Yes, ebay, you just need the pigtails, not the antennas, pigtails w/ U.FL connector is pretty cheap on ebay.

Mainly what you'll want to look for is pigtails with a RP-TNC (if you plan to use the wrt54g antennas) and a U.FL connector. Readily available with ebay or google search.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
bman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 17:19    Post subject: E2000 antenna mod Reply with quote
There are 3UFL antenna connectors on the E2000 board. I would like to increase the distance of my (2.4GHZ)N by using larger dbi antennas. None of my computers have 5GHZ. Can you tell me which 2 UFL connectors to plug the pigtails into?
I have (2) 2.4 antennas and this kit ready to plug in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/7dBi-Antenna-Mod-Kit-Linksys-E2000-No-soldering-/110661392259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c3eed783
It's easy to open the E2000 case and drill the 2 needed holes.

Any additional DD-WRT settings would be appreciated.

For others that want to increase the 5GHZ distance which (2) UFL connectors would you choose? I also imagine that there are different antennas that would be required.

Thanks in advance for your response.
wifikiller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to know where to get the pigtails too instead of buying that kit in case I need to change the connectors..
bman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are tons available on ebay starting at $1.99
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=U.FL+to+RP-SMA&_sacat=0&_odkw=UFL+SMA&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Still need to figure out which connectors on the E2000 board to use. All I want is to improve 2.4GHZ N.
I don't want to use 5GHZ.

There is also differences in a 2.4 and a 5GHZ antennas.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
bman wrote:

Still need to figure out which connectors on the E2000 board to use. All I want is to improve 2.4GHZ N.
I don't want to use 5GHZ.

Since its a selectable 2.4/5Ghz unit, they share the antenna connects. If you do use the 2 antenna setup though, i would use connection 1 and 3 and omit the middle connector. And no, don't ask why, just what i would do with it.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
bman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks buddee....
How about any special TX and RX DD-WRT settings?
careh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have added the 7 dbi eBay external antennas to an E2000 - and installed DD-WRT build 15962 in it. When I look at the db signal strength coming out of it (using inSSIDer) I see the signal strength fluctuating in a repeating pattern (the green line in attached image). I do not see the fluctuation with a Linksys wrt160n V2 running stock firmware (the red line in attached photo). I had expected to see the E2000 db level to be much higher than the wrt160n due to the external antennas. I have the E2000 at the default 71 mW TX power.

Note: I was connected to the wrt160N when running this test - and it seems (see subsequent posts) the level db line will appear for whatever AP the computer running inSSIDer is running. So it does not appear to be a problem with the external antennas.

fluctuating.jpg
 Description:
Fluctuating db level
 Filesize:  34.45 KB
 Viewed:  36235 Time(s)

fluctuating.jpg

Last edited by careh on Fri Apr 29, 2011 23:19; edited 1 time in total
bman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also tested my E2000 with the internal and then with external antennas. My results were exactly like yours with the repeating pattern db fluctuation with external antennas when tested with inSSIDer. I'm running DD-WRT DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std-usb-ftp (SVN revision 14929).

I guess a stable flat signal is better than the jumpy signal so I pulled the external antennas.

Is there a way to correct for this fluctuation?
careh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I disconnected the external antennas - and the fluctuation was still there - but went away after about a minute of running. The blue line is the E2000.

internal antennas.jpg
 Description:
Running on internal antennas.
 Filesize:  31.08 KB
 Viewed:  36208 Time(s)

internal antennas.jpg

careh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried connecting to one AP - then the other - and notice that the fluctuations seem to be on whatever AP I was not connected to.

I did a further test with a second laptop connected to one of the AP's and my laptop running inSSIDer connected to the other but the signals stayed the same - meaning the signal from the AP my inSSIDer was not connected to would fluctuate while the AP I was connected to would stay level.

switching ap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.56 KB
 Viewed:  36193 Time(s)

switching ap.jpg

Last edited by careh on Fri Apr 29, 2011 23:14; edited 1 time in total
careh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I re-connected the external antennas to the E2000 and ran inSSIDer on an Acer laptop. That laptop let me disconnect from the routers and still keep inSSIDer running (something I could not do with my Lenovo X201i laptop).

Note on this chart - from running inSSIDer on the Acer - how both routers db's are fluctuating when the laptop is disconnected from them - then when I connect to the E2000 (green line) the db levels out until I connect to the wrt160N (red line).

LimonP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
So is it worth doing. My only complaint with this router is the range.
gs44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 18:08    Post subject: E2000 Mod Reply with quote
Well, my 1st Router Mod is complete, I 1st added a small fan dead top center of my Cisco E2000 and added 1/2" thick rubber feet on bottum for air flow, and put a ramsink on the exposed broadcom chip that I noted ran hot, then I replaced the power supply that had a 1000 mA Rateing to one slightly larger, 1250 mA rateing to ensure that the router would have plenty of power with extra fan and so forth. Then I ordered these 7dbi external antenna from http://www.ebay.com/itm/7dBi-Antenna-Mod-Kit-Linksys-E2000-No-soldering. I ONLY use the 5Ghz side so these 2 where enough. I hooked one of the externals to the 5 Ghz tx/rx plug then the other external Antenna to the rx only plug. I left the 2.4 Ghz internal antenna hooked up.

Results: Unit runs much much cooler and I gained right around 7db with a very straight/stable signal on my 5Ghz band according to inSSider 2.0
gs44
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh as an update kinda..lol I played around, with 5 Ghz band it seemed the best boost was with both external antenna set straight Horizontal and for the 2.4 Ghz band, set straight vertical. and lastly I came across this cheap and easy mod for my sons pc desktop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48VDsqjNPss and it worked out Great!! same rules applied to this mod as the Antenna mod, 5 Ghz Horizontal mounting of usb adaptor and can an Vertical for 2.4 Ghz.

So review/recap, 5 Ghz test with inSSider 2.0 confirm a 7db boost with External Antenna and a crazy 12 db boost with the pop can mod for usb adaptor show here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48VDsqjNPss

so over all 19 db boost on 5Ghz band with straight/clean signal using both mods... Laughing
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: