So how do I connect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:24    Post subject: So how do I connect? Reply with quote
I plugged the ethernet port into the back of the main linksys router. How do I find out the fonera's ip addy to flash wired?...I don't have a wireless connection available, do we need that to flash? that can't be Embarassed
Sponsor
Ubu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try plugging your cable directly from you pc into the fon.

Give you PC a static address of 169.254.255.2

Access the fon at 169.254.255.1
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I do that however, I lose internet.

Should I just download everything I need then flash?
nimdy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
tempengro wrote:
Should I just download everything I need then flash?

Yes! Unless you have another machine that you can access the net, its best to download all the bits and bobs then do the flashing. As you cannot access the net you will probably have to get a webserver program, as mentioned in the wiki.
pap2boy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
nimdy wrote:
Yes! Unless you have another machine that you can access the net, its best to download all the bits and bobs then do the flashing.

How do you flash this router? From what I read here, you will need to be able to ssh into the router and use wget to up the .bin files. In order to be able to ssh, you will first need to enable it through a serial-console/jtag cable which most of us don't have to start with. Perhaps, a more concise/complete HOWTO without any needs for a serial-console/jtag cable will be nice here.
nimdy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
pap2boy wrote:
nimdy wrote:
Yes! Unless you have another machine that you can access the net, its best to download all the bits and bobs then do the flashing.

How do you flash this router? From what I read here, you will need to be able to ssh into the router and use wget to up the .bin files. In order to be able to ssh, you will first need to enable it through a serial-console/jtag cable which most of us don't have to start with. Perhaps, a more concise/complete HOWTO without any needs for a serial-console/jtag cable will be nice here.

SSH is enabled using the HTML files.
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
pap2boy wrote:
nimdy wrote:

You don't need serial, and you can do it without setting up web/tftp services. All you need to do is follow the instructions to allow SSH on the Fonera, plug it into an existing router so it can access the internet, connect to the Fonera from your PC (over the lan using putty), and tell it to to download the stuff off the net (per the wiki) and then reboot it.

Connect to it using SSH (putty) again, execute the commands per the wiki, and it'll reboot again. Here it gets a bit tricky...

When it reboots this time it goes to Redboot. You need to diconnect the Fonera from the lan and unplug the power. Set up your PC so you quickly run a putty command or use telnet (I used telnet because putty didn't work for me at this point). Connect the Fonera to your pc using the lan cable, plug the power into the Fonera and run the SSH sommand a few seconds after the power light comes on. You'll probably need to do this several times to get the timing right. With me, i couldn't connect with putty and used telnet. The problem with telnet though is that it may not throw up the prompt when it connects. For me just hitting the enter key brought it up. (YMMV)

Once you get to redboot follow the wiki and hopefully you'll be good to go!

My advice: Cut and paste the commands from the wiki into your command windows to save time and prevent typo's...

Good luck!
tempengro
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
my version is 1.7.1 r2 and the ssh hack isn't even working

what do i do?
body-snatch-her
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
tempengro wrote:

what do i do?

If I recall correctly that is the newest of the Fon firmwares and the released SSH hacks don't work because the previously exploitable holes were buttoned down. Supposedly there is a new exploit waiting in the wings and ready to go. The hacking crew is holding it back until there is a critical mass of routers released to the wild to make it worthwhile. By this I mean that once the exploit is made public Fon can patch plug the hole in a new version of the firmware, and a new hack would be required.

The best I can suggest is that you be as patient as you can and watch for the new hack to be released. After that you should e able to install bb-wrt!
Ubu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to read the instructions carefully. This is a very involved flashing process.
Version R2 will revert to version R1 if you hold in the reset button for 15 seconds. This is covered in the page linked by the Wiki for enabling SSH.
intrax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
tempengro wrote:

what do i do?

Just sit on it and hatch your egg until smarter people come up with something... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: