WDS AP - WDS Station - Firmwares

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> ARM or PPC based Hardware
extazy33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:00    Post subject: WDS AP - WDS Station - Firmwares Reply with quote
Hello,

I have an Avila Gateworks GW2348-4 with 2 wifi cards. Firmware is DD-WRT v24 Beta (02/01/07) std.
My goal is to define one card as an Access Point (AP or WDS AP), and second one as a Client to another AP (Client or WDS Station (= "Client Bridge" with improvements like transparent mac? )).
So it's a sort of repeater without loosing bandwith (like linking 2 buffalos/linksys by lan, one being AP and second client to another AP)
Anyways I have 3 questions with this firmware:

1. With first card in WDS AP mode, what is the undefined parameter like described here:

2. With WDS Station mode, why there is no more the "Wireless Channel" selection field:

3. I'am trying to connect this v24 Beta board to a WRTGL with v23 SP2 in AP mode.
Seems when i try WDS Station mode or Client Mode it doesn't want to connect to this AP with different firmware.
I guess i have to apply the v24 to the WRTGL aswell (and use WDS AP)?

So in all my first feeling is that if you want a repeater without loosing bandwith you are still better going on with 2 buffalos/linksys because no matter what firmwares they are at
least they should be compatible when linked by lan. Guess that the Avila Gateworks boards no matter how fast/temp operating/flexible they are, they will have to wait for a non beta firmware/compatible
with previous ones.

Greetings,
extazy33
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
wds station does not need a channel selection. wds station is a client

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
wds station does not need a channel selection. wds station is a client

beside this a wds station cannot connect to a WRT54GL system. if you want to connect to a broadcom device you must use the classical WDS tab. WDS Station and WDS AP can only connect to each other. so you need 2 DD-WRT Atheros based devices

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why I must use WDS AP and WDS STA? Why not the classical WDS-AP-AP mode?

What are the benefits?

Thanks
FunMan
extazy33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hm now I am enough confused to not know how to make communicate an atheros device with an broadcom one (no matter who is AP and who is client).

atheros <-> broadcom

1. AP <-> Client Bridge (if available as option)
2. WDS AP <-> Client Bridge (if available as option)
3. WDS AP <-> WDS Station
4. WDS AP <-> AP with classical WDS tab??
5. WDS Station <-> AP with classical WDS tab??

Maybe if i put v24 on everything (avila / wrt54gl / buffalo / magicbox), they will all be able to communicate?
extazy33
extazy33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moreover if i have 2 WDS AP, same ssid "dd-wrt", different channels (1 and 6), how may i decide to which one my WDS station connects?
indianboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Picture show max power = 1258mW Shocked What Atheros card are you using ??
extazy33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
indianboy wrote:
The Picture show max power = 1258mW Shocked What Atheros card are you using ??

Ubiquiti Networks SR2
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
the max power is normal in all newer releases. it fixes some problems with too low output power. it will not use more than the card is supporting in any way

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it posible to make a 2 way Brigde?
One way over a and another way over b/g for loadbalancing and performance boost?

i think this new chips will be the goal for real 100mbit netto wlan bridges is this possible?

kind regards

alex
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is a bonding option for multiple radios

Navigation

Jump to: