WRT610N to E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
evrycard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 23:22    Post subject: WRT610N to E3000 Reply with quote
Upgrading WRT610N to E3000
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137565&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Fallowing this instruction on the above link.

1. Downloaded the attached files (e3000_cfe_v21.bin & dd-wrt.v24-14567_modified-e3000.bin)
2. Modified the e3000_cfe_v21.bin
3. Uploaded to the router via winscp
4. telnet it
5. Update in web browser to dd-wrt.v24-14567_modified-e3000.bin
6. Update successful!!!!
7. Waited, and waited 10mn+
8. Can't access 192.168.1.1 on web browser
9. Lights on router are led except the power light is blinking.
Tried to power cycle... Nothing.
Tried to 30/30/30 reset... Still nothing

Plz HELP!!!
If someone can show me a step by step serial recovery. I would really appreciate it.
Thxxxxx....
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
tally ho..

1st, you do have a 610V2? if you have a V1, you have a problem.

2nd.. when you modified the cfe with your macs, serial, and pin.. you did indeed use a hex editor correct? Notepad is not a hex editor..

so.. you copied the edited cfe to the routers tmp folder via winscp..

then you flashed the cfe in the tmp folder using telnet & the explained mtd commands?

cd /tmp
mtd unlock cfe
mtd write -f cfe.bin cfe ("cfe.bin" can change depending what you named the file)

then without power cycling the device or resetting it, you then used the running dd-wrt upgrade gui to flash the posted modded bin AND selected to reset the router to defaults after the flash from the drop down box in the upgrade tab.

Then.. you waited at least or more than 5 minutes before you did anything else to the router??

If you deviated at all, you have a problem. However, it can be fixed with the proper equipment & procedures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
tally ho..

1st, you do have a 610V2? if you have a V1, you have a problem.

2nd.. when you modified the cfe with your macs, serial, and pin.. you did indeed use a hex editor correct? Notepad is not a hex editor..

so.. you copied the edited cfe to the routers tmp folder via winscp..

then you flashed the cfe in the tmp folder using telnet & the explained mtd commands?

cd /tmp
mtd unlock cfe
mtd write -f cfe.bin cfe ("cfe.bin" can change depending what you named the file)

then without power cycling the device or resetting it, you then used the running dd-wrt upgrade gui to flash the posted modded bin AND selected to reset the router to defaults after the flash from the drop down box in the upgrade tab.

Then.. you waited at least or more than 5 minutes before you did anything else to the router??

If you deviated at all, you have a problem. However, it can be fixed with the proper equipment & procedures.

Barryware:
The router version is 2.
I did exactly that and still have a problem. How can I recover?
I have a serial cable ready. The router is cracked open. I can see a JB3 possible connection for serial. What are the steps to recovery???

Last edited by evrycard on Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:40; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
dunno.. it is a V2 correct??? something went wrong.

You need serial to diagnose any further.. if no serial output then the cfe flash went bad or you fucked it up editing it (the cfe).

are you in the US?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
USA I am Barryware. Very Happy
I am pretty sure the cfe is correct. I can send it to you to confirm.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will offer to take a look at it. You can also do the same if you have a 3.3V ttl adapter.

IF you get no serial output when properly connecting your 3.3V ttl adapter, the the cfe is fubar and now you need jtag.

linksys disabled the jtag ciruit. It can be enabled but is a pita and I have messed up two routers before I figured out how to do it without damaging traces.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a CA-42 Cable ready but where to solder on the router board and how to investigate what is wrong with it?
evrycard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is my serial connection to the board.
But when I use the CA-42 cable to connect. Hyperterminal is giving me just a blinking cursor.
Can the CA-42 cable used here or should I get a different cable?

serial_board.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.03 KB
 Viewed:  17228 Time(s)

serial_board.png

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first thing you should do is test your CA-42 cable, hold the tx and rx wire together and tap a few keys on the keyboard.
Do you see them being echoed back on screen through the loopback connection you created?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used this cable before to debrick and it was working fine. What could have I missed???
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the router doesn't reply to ping from your computer when the router is starting up then it is likely that you have a faulty cfe which also wont get you any serial output.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
@evrycard

I compared the cfe you send me to the one posted and they are identical excluding your edits of mac, serial, and pin. So.. it was not a bad edit causing the problem. Maybe a bad flash of the cfe, you didn't wait long enough, or you did not reset the router to defaults from the upgrade gui drop down.

if you have no serial output, the only option is to use jtag. it must 1st be enabled on the pcb.

I have fixed many of these routers. So far, a total of 7 had no serial output until nvram was erased via jtag. I can not explain it, but once nvram was erased, serial worked.

One had the cfe scrambled some how. Flashing a cfe via jtag, the flash stopped in exactly the same spot every time. This one required a new flash chip.

The same thing happened to Eko when he was working on the E4200 port in regards to serial not working till nvram was erased.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just did this successfully. My guess is that you forgot to check the box for "reset to defaults" when flashing the trailed build.

Also, when flashing the trailed build it can take quite a long time, the router may reboot 3 times. It's easy to not wait long enough.

it's also hard to break the habit of not doing 30/30/30's after everything.
evrycard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, there is no response to serial. I guess JTAG will be next. I am pretty sure I did everything correctly. But oh well, more to learn. haha
Can your guys, tell me how to JTAG this beast and whaat type of JTAG cable? I have being reading about it but no one really had a howto any where.
Thx again guys...
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
for jtag.. the 1st thing you have to do is bridge 5 itty bitty pads on the pcb..

be careful, I messed up two of these routers before I figured it out (how to do it without lifting the pads)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137565&start=4

Navigation

Jump to: