Using my router with a 2WIRE 3600HGV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
hongus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:07    Post subject: Using my router with a 2WIRE 3600HGV Reply with quote
I currently have a 2WIRE 3600 HGV modem and I want to use it with my ASUS RT-N12 (loaded with dd-wrt). I used to have normal dsl with a different modem and the same router and it ran flawlessly. But now for some reason it doesn't work anymore, I turned on the DMZplus mode for my router too. I know that the 2wire has a built in wireless but I really don't like it and I don't want to use it. Does anybody know how to make my router work with this modem?

sorry but i'm pretty bad at networking, so please explain it to me in dumbed down terms

thank you SO much
Sponsor
hongus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone been able to make your router work with a 2wire modem? If so, PLEASE explain to me how you did it. It would be greatly appreciated Smile
Steffwiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off, you can do this two ways. You can either run the RT-N12 as an access point and let the 3600HGV control everything or you run the 3600HGV in DMZ+ mode and let the RT-N12 control everything.

I have my WRT54Gv8 running as an access point so that I am able to access everything on one network. If you run it as DMZ+ you will have two separate networks that won't be able to communicate with each other.

To run your router as an access point and let the gateway do all of the work follow this guide: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point and make sure that you connect the router to the gateway via LAN to LAN (do not use the WAN port unless you have assigned it to the switch)

To run your router in DMZ+ mode plug the router into the gateway via WAN to LAN. Make sure that the router is set to get it's IP automatically via DHCP from the WAN port. Also, make sure that the DD-WRT router is not on the same subnet as the 2WIRE. If the 2WIRE is running in the 192.168.1.x subnet then make sure that the DD-WRT router is anything but that. (For example, set the DD-WRT's IP address to 192.168.2.1) Then, with another computer plugged in directly to the gateway, set the router to DMZ+ mode (if you're not sure which device is the router check the MAC addresses). While you're in the configuration panel also turn off wireless. (unless you know what you're doing, it will just cause problems) Once both devices are setup, power cycle the router. It should get a public IP from the gateway and internet should work fine.

Running your router as an access point is probably the best idea unless you specifically need the DD-WRT router to assign DHCP addresses and such. You might run into a problem with the 2WIRE's short DHCP lease time of 10 minutes and the DD-WRT's firewall blocking the DHCP requests. If you lose connection momentarily about every 10 minutes you can try to add a rule to your firewall script. Refer to the link at the end of this post.

If you need any help with this (I know I'm horrible at explaining things) just ask and I'll get back to you.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=542420

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you are going to run your router as a wireless access point and are going to follow that tutorial, you can change DHCP Server on the setup page to DHCP Forwarder and input the 2WIRE's IP address. I've found this to be much better than simply disabling DHCP and letting the clients figure it out.
jakecat1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried this with a WRT54G and X-Modem 3. It works but the lease time on the WAN IP is very short and it would loose WAN connectivity every 2 minutes or so.

I have also tried it with a Zoom X4 set to half-bridge and that passes the WAN IP to the router but sets the subnet mask incorrectly preventing WAN access.

Have now resorted to run the 54 as WAP only but would be keen to find a solution to the above
Steffwiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running my WRT54Gv8 as a WAP with no problems at all. Is there a specific reason you need to have your DD-WRT router assign DHCP addresses?

There is a firewall rule you can add to your firewall script that is supposed to unblock the DHCP lease requests from the 2WIRE, and allowing the DHCP lease to renew halfway threw and never lose the connection. I believe it was on that link I gave you.

Hope this helps
wavracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 0:56    Post subject: 2Wire gateway setup with a DD-WRT router tutorial Reply with quote
Try these instructions:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=602195

Navigation

Jump to: