WAP54G - can't reset password

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CygnusX1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 21:15    Post subject: WAP54G - can't reset password Reply with quote
I have a WAP54G v3.1 with DD-WRT v24-sp2. I am apparently locked out of the device: I don't know the admin or root passwords and cannot login via the web gui or telnet.

I have tried the the following with no success

-soft reset
-hard reset (30-30-30)
-TFT using the flash recovery instructions

Nothing seems to help. I can't erase the config and I don't know the password. The device works fine otherwise.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
pccowboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure its not just asking you to put in a password and username?

Strange i know but when it first pops up a new router it has three blanks with dots, but its just asking to to make a password.

if thats not it try 60/60/60

hold reset for 60, while still holding unplug, continue to hold for 60, then let off and wait a few sec, then hold reset and turn on, wait 60 and let go....that should clear ANYTHING in there.

Good luck
Chill
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can telnet to your WAP

erase nvram
reboot

that should clear all settings and will revert back to default

RT-N16 Tomato Firmware 1.28.0905 MIPSR2-065V K26 USB AIO as gateway
Samba
Media/DLNA Server
SNMP/odmon
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
You didn't set the ver commands you needed to as set out in the wiki for that router. Try the recovery in the wiki or else you will need a cable to fix it.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
CygnusX1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:34    Post subject: still no luck Reply with quote
Tried the 60-60-60 reset and it had no effect. I seem to recall reading there is a bug with this particular WAP hardware v3.1 such that the reset button is disabled when loading DD-WRT. Murrkf, I believe this is what you were referring to in your post. The problem is I can't run any commands on the router because when I telnet I'm greeted with a login: prompt and clicking on anything in the web gui causes a login popup. SSH is apparently disabled. Am I totally scre*ed?

Murrkf, would you be so kind as to post a direct link to the recovery section of the wiki you are referring to? I've already tried the TFT flash without success (at least I didn't brick it!)

Thanx
Chill
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
This might help:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WAP54G

RT-N16 Tomato Firmware 1.28.0905 MIPSR2-065V K26 USB AIO as gateway
Samba
Media/DLNA Server
SNMP/odmon
CygnusX1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chill, So it looks like I need to do this..

If you did NOT set the ver=3, and are now locked out of your router, try these instructions from Redhawk0 to get your router working again, and then set the instructions set out above:
use tftp.exe program....but use the default linksys address to flash it again with a micro_generic.bin file.
use tftp at 192.168.1.245 to talk to the unit....set a static IP on your computer first to 192.168.1.10
Follow the tftp flash instructions in the peacock thread...but use 1.245 for the WAP address.

redhawk

..but my IP is 10.10.9.85 and not the default 192.168.1.245. Is this saying I should use .245 anyway? It's a little confusing
pfife
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you ever figure it out? i am having the same problem
smokinabowl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, do exactly that. set your pc to a static ip of 192.168.1.10 and tftp to 192.168.1.245
CygnusX1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried flashing to the default IP 192.168.1.245 and it did not work. I also tried the tftp program in the wiki. I was using a Win7 machine and the wiki article recommended using XP, so I tried that as well. Still no luck. I can flash to my assigned IP of 10.10.9.85 and the tftp program reports success, but my config is NOT erased.

I am about ready to throw in the towel unless anyone has any bright ideas.

It's just frustrating because the router is connecting to clients and functioning fine.. I just can't erase the config, so it might as well be bricked to me. Crying or Very sad

Thanx
Karl
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
CygnusX1 wrote:
I tried flashing to the default IP 192.168.1.245 and it did not work. I also tried the tftp program in the wiki. I was using a Win7 machine and the wiki article recommended using XP, so I tried that as well. Still no luck. I can flash to my assigned IP of 10.10.9.85 and the tftp program reports success, but my config is NOT erased.

It's just frustrating because the router is connecting to clients and functioning fine.. I just can't erase the config, so it might as well be bricked to me. Crying or Very sad

Thanx
Karl

Serial or jtag will fix the router. All you need to do is erase nvram. You can accomplish this with either process.

The wap's are still being sold and commanding a high price (80 ~ 90 bucks new). It is worth the small investment in the adapters needed. Or.. send it to someone to fix for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
CygnusX1 wrote:

Thanx
Karl

I had the same problem with you and this is how I solved it, without any serial cable or jtag.

I did what this tutorial says:
Howto revive a bricked WAP54G
link for the page:
http://www.sorgonet.com/network/wap54gbricked/
Short-circuit the pins shown, and used tftp2.exe .

My advise is to roll-back to the original Linksys firmware for WAP54G, than dd-wrt. But if you also like dd-wrt, you will revive your WAP54G with this tutorial. My information works for any of these firmwares.

If you have problem during tftp the original firmware, like freezing: restart you pc and modem and upload to the modem (via tftp) another file: A photo .jpg around 65kb. The .jpg will erase the nvram.
Restart again the tftp, and this time upload the original firmware.
Sounds strange, but it works!
This is how i revived my WAP54G, after having exactly the same problem with you.

Navigation

Jump to: