FON Bricked after modifications?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
boaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:27    Post subject: FON Bricked after modifications? Reply with quote
So, I pretty much have the same problem as a few other users here. I followed the La Fonera Flashing tutorial on the wiki and got to step 3 and seemingly bricked my router. No WLAN light. No reset capabilities. No response to ping. No webgui. Etc.
I can't access the FON at 192.168.1.115:8080 or 169.254.255.1:8080 or whatever. No IP address combination seems to work. Does anyone have other ideas?

(Note: This is essentially a repost of something I asked about in the Broadcom forum, though I was notified that's not the right place for FON questions, so here I am.)
Sponsor
intrax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
What kernel did you flash in step 3 and what happened after that ?... you have to provide more info to be able for anyone to help...
boaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, the files I used were
openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma
and root.fs with vmlinux.bin.l7 from http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fbeta+releases%2Ffonera+builds%2F2007+-+0218/
I'm not sure which one of those is the kernel. :roll:

After I flashed the FON (and gave it the reboot command) it rebooted but didn't function as it used to (no wlan light, no reset, no webgui, no ssh...all signs of a brick).
boaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could I use this to make a direct serial connection to the FON? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300083122464&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RUPX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=300082962991&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
martin-h
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
and really no redboot under 192.168.1.254 9000?
(assign your pc a static IP in the 192.168.1.xx range, and telnet to redboot ca. 2-5 sec after foneras power-plug (neither too early nor too late!), you should get the redboot>-prompt.)
burnte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, that's entirely the wrong type of adapter.

You'd want something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAX232-RS232-TTL-Convertor-Adapter-for-Basic-PIC-68HC_W0QQitemZ250087124618QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4661QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
boaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
No redboot. It says something like "software caused the connection to reset" or something along those lines.

If I were to get the max232 level shifter would I need anything else besides a male-to-male serial connection for the com port on my computer? (And then the terminal and a tftp server of course).

Thanks for your replies.

EDIT: Telnetting in also says "No route to host" sometimes.
burnte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Suggestion, and I speak from personal experience. Either get one of those that I linked to, or try this, which is what I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Kyocera-KX433-KX434-K10-KX440-KX444-K9-USB-Cable-CD_W0QQitemZ250086436123QQihZ015QQcategoryZ48497QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(If for future readers, that auction is dead, search for cables compatible with Kyocera models KX433, KX434, K10, KX440, KX444, K490, KE433, KE434, K9, K404, K493, or K494. They all are the exact same cable.)

My kyocera phone is dead, so the cable was just sitting there. I know many other phones use similar cables, but this is one I've used myself. The Prolific chip inside accepts TTL input, and creates a new "virtual" COM port on your PC via the USB connection. Cut off the tip, and strip the wires. White was TX, blue was RX, but it was easy to determine in case it's different.

But yes, that hardware device, an adapter if your serial port is different, plus some wires to hook to the pins on the Fonera. Lemme take a pic for you, for what I did.

That's what I did with mine.

Last edited by burnte on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:58; edited 2 times in total
boaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for all the information. I went ahead and bought the RS232 shifter (it was cheap enough) and I've already got a ton of wire to hook it to my LF and a serial cable.
I'll repost when I get it all fixed.
Thanks! Very Happy
firestarter03
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey burnte, do you know if I would be able to use this data cable to debrick my fonera?

http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-P-W/siemens_c25_s25_pinout.shtml

Thanks.
burnte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I couldn't tell you, that's just a link to the pinouts of the conenctor. It doesn't tell me what kind of interface it uses, nor what kind of chip. It's a serial connection in the sense that it's using a single pin for TX and a single pin for RX, but that doesn't tell me if it's RS232 or not. You'd have to find that out first. What you need to know is if the phone uses RS232 for communication over those pins, and then if it uses low voltage TTL levels. If both are yes, then you could use a data cable for that phone. If you have one of those cables for USB, pop open and see what kind of comm chip it uses.
scientist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 22:47    Post subject: Cable Reply with quote
Okay, so I purchased what seems to be an identical cable off of eBay...and with the drivers installed, it pops up as a serial port

So now my question is...I have 5 wires, not 2. Theres a blue, a white, red, green and yellow

Somehow instinct tells me that I need more then just 2 wires to complete a serial connection...there should be a ground in there someplace, no?

And with that said, more on this project later...but the cute little board inside is just itching to have a type B female connecter hacked on, and then placed inside my Fonera (when it finally shows up...) to have a permanent *actual* usb plug in there

So....any idea what the other 3 wires are? Pinout only showed 3 wires used, and to tell you the truth cutting up the plug to find out where the ground is is becoming...painful

-sCi
burnte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 0:32    Post subject: Re: Cable Reply with quote
scientist wrote:
Okay, so I purchased what seems to be an identical cable off of eBay...and with the drivers installed, it pops up as a serial port

So now my question is...I have 5 wires, not 2. Theres a blue, a white, red, green and yellow

Somehow instinct tells me that I need more then just 2 wires to complete a serial connection...there should be a ground in there someplace, no?

And with that said, more on this project later...but the cute little board inside is just itching to have a type B female connecter hacked on, and then placed inside my Fonera (when it finally shows up...) to have a permanent *actual* usb plug in there

So....any idea what the other 3 wires are? Pinout only showed 3 wires used, and to tell you the truth cutting up the plug to find out where the ground is is becoming...painful

-sCi
scientist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure why you quoted my post...and I am still in the dark

So you got the cable to work with just those two wires? Maybe im missing something in the serial protocol...

-sCi
burnte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hrm, somehow my reply got eaten. I'll just quote what I said to someone else in a PM:

Quote:
The white wire and the blue wire are the two you want. Sadly, I don't recall which one is RX and TX, but just plug it on, boot the fonera, if you don't see anything after 15 seconds, then flip it around. Smile

If the wires are colored differently, or you're color blind and can't tell the blue from the greed or red or whatever, open the little box. There's a little board inside. The serial-port side had 5 little pads on top and bottom, only 5 of which are used. They're number 1 through 5, and 6 through ten. You want pads 3 and 6. The blue one was on pad 3, and the white one was on the bottom on pad 6.

Half the pins on the chip aren't even used by this particular unit. You have 5 on the serial side used, RX, TX, CTR, CTS, and ground. then you have 5 more used on the USB side, RX, TX, 5V+, 5V-, and ground. The other pins aren't used in this device because they're not needed. These are ICs that can be used in may different products.

So, you have 5, white/blue are what you want. the other three are GND, CTS, and CTR. The fonera doesn't use CTR/CTS, so skip them, and the ground wire isn't really attached to the USB ground, so you can skip that if you want too.

Your instinct is mistaked. Serial is just a 2 wire bus, in and out. A few other line sare used, but for the fonera, those two alone.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: