DIR-615 E3: Unable to install dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jatoghia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 14:44    Post subject: DIR-615 E3: Unable to install dd-wrt Reply with quote
I have a brand new, fresh out of the shrink wrap, DIR-615, H/W version E3, F/W version 5.10, and I wanted to install DD-WRT. I downloaded the correct "factory" firmware for the initial installation. I even tried doing the 30/30/30 reset, even though the firmware should be in its initial configuration coming out of the box. Using the ethernet connection, going into the router's web interface, and trying to upload the firmware, I get an upload failed message that the firmware is either corrupted or not correct for my hardware. Please help.

Thanks.
Sponsor
Ytsejam1138
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take a look here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_E3
jatoghia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ytsejam1138 wrote:
Take a look here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_E3

Nope, didn't help. I went through all the extra steps to open the .bin file in emacs hex-mode and verify that the magic number at the end of the file I downloaded from dd-wrt.com matched the factory firmware file, which is AP99-AR7240-RT-091105-01

So, I didn't need to edit this file. Then, logging into the router in the factory default mode, admin, no password, and going to tools, firmware update. I get the following message:

UPLOAD FAILED
The uploaded firmware file may not be correct. You may have uploaded a file that is not intended for this Gateway, or the uploaded file may be corrupt.

Please note, I have tried doing this from IE, Firefox, and Chrome, Windows and Ubuntu...I always get the same message.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firewall or antivir software interfering?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Firewall or antivir software interfering?

NO, two different computers! The router web interface is giving me the same message, and FYI, the 30/30/30 reset doesn't work. It leaves my router in a mode with the power indicator blinking, but the web interface is not accessible and my computer cannot connect to it, even with a manually assigned IP address.
jatoghia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? To clarify one point, I've followed the instructions to do the 30/30/30 reset, but when I do the router's power light blinks, there is no DHCP, and even if I manually assign an IP address to my ethernet adapter, I am unable to connect to the router's web interface. Thus, I then have to do another power cycle on the router and bring it up in a normal mode for me to be able to access the web interface, but then the firmware does not load as the router detects that it is the wrong version. Am I following the instructions correctly? Is the whole point of the 30/30/30 reset to clear the router's NVM and thus it can be normally power cycled to get to the web interface, or is it supposed to unlock some mode in which the firmware can be loaded, and why am I thus unable to access it?

I'm just looking for the cheapest way to have a wifi bridge that connects my Slingbox to the network. If I don't hear back soon, this puppy is going back to the store.
niKon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah same here DIR-615 is not letting me install the dir615e3-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

Getting the same error as this person is dang and i wanted to try DD-WRT out see if it was better then the current firmware.
jatoghia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
niKon wrote:
Yeah same here DIR-615 is not letting me install the dir615e3-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin

Getting the same error as this person is dang and i wanted to try DD-WRT out see if it was better then the current firmware.

I FINALLY got it to work. Could not install from Linux at all using any browser. Had to use Windoze, had to use Internet Exploder, and had to have the router in the recovery mode (unplug power, hold down reset button for 20 seconds, plug in power, continue holding down reset until the power icon becomes flashing yellow). More importantly, had to manually configure static IP address of my LAN adapter BEFORE rebooting the router. For some reason, even with all the subnet, gateway, and DNS information correct, it only worked when I set it up while the DHCP server was still running. The IP address of your computer MUST be 192.168.0.2.
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried to install dd-wrt on an old DIR-615 E3 and was getting an error. Saw someone online succeeding with 21061 (not with an E3) so got the dir615e3-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin from here and it worked. Was then able to use the latest beta build's dir615e3-firmware.bin.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 23:33    Post subject: Smaller initial build Reply with quote
This is starting to become a trend with older routers. In order to flash DD-WRT, you must use an older initial build. I have been randomly recommending build 29059 (2016) for other routers (D-Link DIR-825 B2).

PS: Make sure to upgrade to the latest once DD-WRT is on the router though. My DIR-615 all have to be upgraded using the command line process via telnet or SSH, https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_3:_Flashing_with_Command_Line

The upgrade GUI on this model (either C1 or E3, at least) has been broken for a while, Brainslayer does not believe us.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info ian5142. I even tried Emergency Room Web Interface which wouldn't upload the file. There are apparently bugs in the d-link Emergency Room Web Interface so it only works in IE6. This python script works around the bugs and uploads successfully but the recent factory-to-ddwrt-firmware being bad, d-link gave a bad build response after the upload.

Perhaps the Emergency Room Web Interface wiki page could mention that script in step 11 so d-link users don't have to try firefox, chrome, IE11, opera, edge, firefox ESR, pale moon on win10, win7, linux as in this thread.

Note the script has a bufsize and time.sleep that can be tweaked for your setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: