Static Lease not working(yet)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
DragonDon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:59    Post subject: Static Lease not working(yet) Reply with quote
Greetings all,

Ok first, and most obvious, I want to thank those responsible to this project! This is my second device I have installed DD-WRT on. The first one worked flawlessly but this one seems that I need to fix something.

Second, and the problem, is that The router won't use the static lease assigned. The MAC, Name and IP address are all defined. So maybe the problem is more fundamental.

When the machine (a Linux SME server) connects, the host name under status just shows "*". Should I be using that as the host name under the static lease info?

edit: just tried that and got very bad results. Well, it may have caused bad issues I can't really tell. My internet went down yet I was still getting an IP/DNS addressing from my ISP. After removing all settings and turning off the DHCP/NVRAM option my internet came back.

Router: WRT54Gv5
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro
Build: 12548M

Everything else seems to work fine so far.

Oh, I should also mention that the SME Server is going through a switch to get it's IP. My understanding is that it shouldn't make a difference but who knows, thought I should mention it. Otherwise I have no problems access the server.
Sponsor
bluesaber
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
DragonDon,

First off, most people here will direct you to the Peacock thread after reading what you wrote. The big thing being that you are running an old firmware version (14929 is the blessing build for now). So I would advise you read through that thread and ensure you followed the flashing information correctly and update to 14929.

Secondly, I have seen where static IPs don't kick in until the dynamic ones time out or the client asks for an update to the dynamic lease. Best bet here is to either ifdown & then ifup the interface or reboot the Linux machine. However, start with updating the firmware on your WRT54G.

And no, the switch shouldn't cause any issues since it will forward the DHCP broadcast to the router (assuming you are using a consumer "dumb" switch).

WRT54GL v1.1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) STD - build 12548M NEWD Eko

WRT54GL v1.1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) vpn - build 12548M NEWD Eko
shelluk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can put what ever you want in the host field (though yes * may break it.. I'm sure there's a thread on the * issue too around here). If memory serves me correct though this adds this host and IP to the DNS server as well so it will resolve by what ever host you put in the host field Smile
PrimPast
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
12548 is a great build. Don't switch to 14929. If you set the static lease in services/services, it should work. I used to do that with the 12548 build without problems. Try not using a name, just a mac address.
bluesaber
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
PrimPast wrote:
12548 is a great build. Don't switch to 14929. If you set the static lease in services/services, it should work. I used to do that with the 12548 build without problems. Try not using a name, just a mac address.

I agree that it is a great build, PrimPast (hence why my signature shows that I am running two WRT54GLs on it); however, there could be a bug in the WRT54Gv5 that I am not aware of that a newer build may fix. I merely mentioned it as a debug option.

I have no doubt that 12548 should work with static leases as I use the feature quite a bit with my WRT54GLs.

@DragonDon:
Before updating your build, give static entries another try by populating the mac addresses and the host names fields (I seem to remember an issue in a past builds with using just host-name to set the static IPs and the clients not getting the static IP).

WRT54GL v1.1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) STD - build 12548M NEWD Eko

WRT54GL v1.1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) vpn - build 12548M NEWD Eko
DragonDon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey all,

First, thanks for your replies.

Second, I was using both names and mac addresses. I also tried with out and no change.

The problem seems to be a little more than just the staic lease issue. I just tried to add a couple of port forwarding rules and the same problem occurred there.

[img]http://imm.io/7QMY[/img]

When I fill out a rule and click on add it adds a blank line. Exact same issue that was happening when I was trying to add static leases.

So where to start for this troubleshooting?
DragonDon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I toggled the "Use NVRAM for client lease DB" and removed old settings, put in new ones and they now show up normally when added.

Bug?
mattyfCA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 20:00    Post subject: Same Problem/Fix here Reply with quote
Running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega build 14896 on a Linksys WRT350N.

The workaround works for me, but only if you press "Save settings" after each static lease entry. If you press the "Add" button before you save, it erases any entered information.
franc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 17:41    Post subject: Re: Same Problem/Fix here Reply with quote
mattyfCA wrote:
...only if you press "Save settings" after each static lease entry. If you press the "Add" button before you save, it erases any entered information.
This seems normal behaviour to me.
Save Settings and only after that Apply Settings.
But you can Add more than one entry and after you set all your several entries you press once SAVE and after Apply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: